Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully will be getting an Leaf E+ soon to replace my E-Golf. Although Nissan now seem to quote the E+ as 50kw charge speed there do seem to be reports of it charging at much higher rates on a suitable charger. Has anyone managed to actually get higher speeds? Also, interested with the new Ecotricity anouncements whether they may be able to push past 50kw.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,478 Posts
The handbook for my 2020 E+ states 50 or 100kw chargers can be used and some on here have said they've seen 70kwh but you won't see very high charge rates unless you are charging from a low SOC. The closer you get to 80% the lower the charge rate so there is little if any advantage finding a 100kw charger if you are only a little below 80% SOC.
The battery temperature also impacts the charging rate so the BMS will limit the current if the battery is too hot.
Also, its not kind to the battery to charge at very high rates on a regular basis. If possible use a 7kw or granny charger at home to top upto 100% .

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,478 Posts
Post on this thread: Post 80.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply famergiles. It would only be a handful of times a year I would need to use rapid charging as I have 7kw at home and the leaf will cover 99% of my journeys on a single charge at home. It was more just a matter of interest as obviously as the infrastructure improves it would be nice to think the E+ could gain at least some small advantage from it.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,478 Posts
Thanks for the reply famergiles. It would only be a handful of times a year I would need to use rapid charging as I have 7kw at home and the leaf will cover 99% of my journeys on a single charge at home. It was more just a matter of interest as obviously as the infrastructure improves it would be nice to think the E+ could gain at least some small advantage from it.
Absolutely. Once lockdown is over I have monhtly 250mile trips to Argyll planned and won't make it on one charge, so would be happy to charge as fast as possible.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
With a suitable charger you can peak at 200A, which at low SoC voltage (~360V) gives 72kW:

With my Leaf 24 I got quite good at optimising charging stops to minimise time (best ever was a 140 mile journey, 21 minutes en-route charging).

With Leaf e+ you should be able to 10-70% in 30 minutes on a 200A charger, which should be enough for the next 2 - 2.5 hours of your journey. 30 minute stop in a 5 hour journey isn't so arduous...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With a suitable charger you can peak at 200A, which at low SoC voltage (~360V) gives 72kW:

With my Leaf 24 I got quite good at optimising charging stops to minimise time (best ever was a 140 mile journey, 21 minutes en-route charging).

With Leaf e+ you should be able to 10-70% in 30 minutes on a 200A charger, which should be enough for the next 2 - 2.5 hours of your journey. 30 minute stop in a 5 hour journey isn't so arduous...
Very impressed with the 140 mile journey on a Leaf 24 with only 21 minutes en-route charging! I'm hoping the new ecotricity units will be ABB Terra 124's (Think I have read that somewhere) so should be 200A. Time will tell I guess but the though of covering 300 odd miles with only a 30 minute charge stop sounds perfect.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,478 Posts

The video does show that the Leaf can keep charging to 90% at a rapid rate. I expected a faster drop in current above 80% so happy to be wrong. I know that when using my 7kw charger, it keeps going at full speed until 95% but I didn't expect to get to 90% quickly on a chademo fo 50 or 100kw.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Very impressed with the 140 mile journey on a Leaf 24 with only 21 minutes en-route charging!
Departed 100% charge. 63 miles to first charge stop. Arrived high 20s SoC I think. 7 minutes charge added about 4.5kWh (+approx 25% SoC, about 50% departure SoC). 36 miles to second charge stop, arrived somewhere around 12-15% remaining. 14 minutes charging, added about 9kWh, approx 60% departure SoC. Last leg 43 miles to destination. Arrived 9-10% SoC.

Sadly you may be able to infer that the driving style required to achieve that particular accolade meant that the driving took a long time (although heavy traffic and a section of 30mph temporary speedlimit (oldbury viaduct) at the time made the section between the two charge stops no slower than it would have been anyway).

Time will tell I guess but the though of covering 300 odd miles with only a 30 minute charge stop sounds perfect.
It is - I moved onto a model 3 SR+ after the leaf 24. When charging is fast enough then you don't have to engage any "hypermiling" techniques, because you might as well just drive faster and charge as that will get you there quicker. I did a trip a while back to collect some stuff. 300 mile round trip to Dumfries, departed 80% SoC. 20 minutes at Gretna (where i was getting "only" 60kW on a shared V2 supercharger - it's amazing how 60kW seems "slow" when you get used to more, when many EV drivers would kill for a sustained 60) on the way and 20 minutes at Tebay on the way back (mmmm.... 117kW and a view). I was driving for close to 7 hours with a couple of diversions and an unplanned pitstop (for me, not the car), so 40 minutes charging on that was absolutely fine.

If you're coming from a short ranged to an e+ (or any other longer ranged EV) then there's a weird bit of psychology to get over. Going under 10% SoC in the Leaf 24 was proper "here be dragons" territory. It's really easy to stick with that in mind, and I have to remind myself that 5% in the 3SR+ is equivalent range to 15% SoC in the Leaf 24.If your e-golf is the earlier, smaller battery version then you may experience this!

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,478 Posts
My E+ does currently, about 2miles/1% (1% is .62kw and miles/kw is 3.3 so 3.3 X.62 = 2miles/%) so 15% SOC should be good for 30miles but we shall see in a month or so. The app is showing 151mile range for 69% SOC, so just over 2m/%.

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
764 Posts
My E+ does currently, about 2miles/1% (1% is .62kw and miles/kw is 3.3 so 3.3 X.62 = 2miles/%) so 15% SOC should be good for 30miles but we shall see in a month or so. The app is showing 151mile range for 69% SOC, so just over 2m/%.
Remember when working out figures the e+ is around 56kWh usable, 62 is the full capacity so a few kWh at top & bottom isn't available, been getting around 4 miles/kWh today so 4x56 is 224 miles & that's with heating still on so I'm happy with that :) But generally I work on 2 miles per 1 % as I know I can get that fairly easily...

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,478 Posts
Remember when working out figures the e+ is around 56kWh usable, 62 is the full capacity so a few kWh at top & bottom isn't available, been getting around 4 miles/kWh today so 4x56 is 224 miles & that's with heating still on so I'm happy with that :) But generally I work on 2 miles per 1 % as I know I can get that fairly easily...
I did wonder whether the 62kwh was actual after the buffers i.e. battery is 70kw, or is 62kw less the hidden 5% buffers top and bottom, so 56kw as you say. The Carwow video claimed the E+ achieved 87% of the claimed range which is 209miles, so if the useable battery was 56kwh, then this is 3.7m/kwh, which seems do-able.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,562 Posts
In mild weather the LEAF 62 will charge from 20% to 92% in 45 minutes (adding about 140 miles range) on any 50Kw charger that is reasonably decent. At moment it seems that CHAdeMO is more reliable than CCS, it seems that CCS is more temperamental with older chargers such as what EH has to offer. Therefore I have greater confidence in getting a charge with CHAdeMo than CCS.

I have used a 150Kw Instavolt which was dual linked and was only 125A maximum so only 62Kw's really available and the LEAF 62 pulled 49.5Kw's, which was more than I ever achieved with the LEAF 40, which was 44Kw maximum.

When new (checked with LeafSpy) the LEAF 62 battery pack has 59.5 KWh available, however this soon dropped to 55 - 56KWh available energy on a full charge. So when calculating available range, 55KWh battery capacity, seem a safe bet, in mild weather, you have to try really hard to get less than 200 miles range, in mixed driving conditions.

The LEAF 62, like any EV's, doesn't like very cold weather, but economy in cold weather is certainly no worse than other similar EV's out there. Mild weather it will return decent economy. Yesterday I did a 60 mile round trip using using A and B country roads, with sharp hills and didn't hang about, with 10°c outside temperature and achieved 4.2 miles / Kw.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,659 Posts
I'm hoping the new ecotricity units will be ABB Terra 124's (Think I have read that somewhere)
The current rollout with Gridserve is just to replace the 50kW units. They are Terra 54s so just your basic 50kW units. You can see an example if you take a look on Zap Map at Cherwell Valley to see what they are putting in right now. The HPCs are following Ecotricity's own rollout plans as is the case in Rugby right now. I don't think Gridserve have much involvement with that. So unless that changes they will continue to be Tritium PK350's to my knowledge.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,478 Posts
In mild weather the LEAF 62 will charge from 20% to 92% in 45 minutes (adding about 140 miles range) on any 50Kw charger that is reasonably decent. At moment it seems that CHAdeMO is more reliable than CCS, it seems that CCS is more temperamental with older chargers such as what EH has to offer. Therefore I have greater confidence in getting a charge with CHAdeMo than CCS.

I have used a 150Kw Instavolt which was dual linked and was only 125A maximum so only 62Kw's really available and the LEAF 62 pulled 49.5Kw's, which was more than I ever achieved with the LEAF 40, which was 44Kw maximum.

When new (checked with LeafSpy) the LEAF 62 battery pack has 59.5 KWh available, however this soon dropped to 55 - 56KWh available energy on a full charge. So when calculating available range, 55KWh battery capacity, seem a safe bet, in mild weather, you have to try really hard to get less than 200 miles range, in mixed driving conditions.

The LEAF 62, like any EV's, doesn't like very cold weather, but economy in cold weather is certainly no worse than other similar EV's out there. Mild weather it will return decent economy. Yesterday I did a 60 mile round trip using using A and B country roads, with sharp hills and didn't hang about, with 10°c outside temperature and achieved 4.2 miles / Kw.
Yes, if you plug your figures into a 56kw usable battery capacity, you are spot on.

I've yet to get above 3.4m/kwh but not done any journeys of over 30 miles, and the 3.4 was an average over many days of 5mile each way trips.

I'll reset the computer after my next charge at the weekend and hopefully will see closer to 4.

I also hope to have an explanation as to why the app reports 0 kwh consumed when you check the daily data.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts