Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a colleague of mine has bought a new Leaf 40 and he claims that his car has e-pedal, and that it actually only has one physical pedal. He says the e-pedal is available either as a button to enable e-pedal mode, or for a higher price you can opt for physical e-pedal where the car actually only has one pedal.

Basically I told him that I don't believe him as I've never heard of such a thing! For a start I would think cars have to have a brake pedal by law, and secondly how would you do an emergency stop?

Can anyone settle this for me as I think he is talking out of his **** :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
My leaf 40 has 2 proper pedals and one foothand brake.

I don't think it is possible to have only 1 pedal

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Can anyone settle this for me as I think he is talking out of his **** :D
Ask him to show you his new car !

I find it hard to believe too, but doubt any amount of reasoned argument will convince the chap. Even if it arrives with two pedals he'll probably claim it was a mistake at the factory :D

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Two pedals just like any automatic car; accelerator and brake.

With Epedal switched on though you very rarely need to use the brake as the car will swiftly bring itself to a complete stop when you lift off the accelerator.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Not having to use the brake pedal to bring the car to a complete stop is a backward step on two fronts:-

1/ Ergonomics. Driving a car safely relies on reflex automatic actions which one practises continuously by doing. If the movement of the foot from the accelerator pedal to the brake pedal is rarely practised (because the epedal is switched on and one doesn't HAVE to use it), in an emergency situation that reflex will be dulled and slow.

2/ Brake friction surface conditioning. Current automotive brake technology, especially cast iron disks, friction materials that imbed on the cast iron, sliding calipers, piston retraction via elastomers, only work well if they are being used on a frequent basis, even if its just a gentle application to bring a car to a holt. Witness the terrible condition that most brakes on early i3s and many Leafs end up in due to lack of use.

In my opinion, car manufacturers are mostly pandering to lazy human tendencies by offering this kind of technology.

Anyway, switch it off if you can.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 64kWh 4+ MY21
273 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if Nissan now sell the Leaf with just one pedal. If you want the extra pedal, you'll have to opt for the new £250 Braking Pack. I mean, I had to fit my own left foot rest plate as the car didn't come with one. If they could get away with selling cars without wheels, I'm sure they would.

1.jpg

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Not having to use the brake pedal to bring the car to a complete stop is a backward step on two fronts:-

1/ Ergonomics. Driving a car safely relies on reflex automatic actions which one practises continuously by doing. If the movement of the foot from the accelerator pedal to the brake pedal is rarely practised (because the epedal is switched on and one doesn't HAVE to use it), in an emergency situation that reflex will be dulled and slow.
Have you actually driven the Leaf with ePedal? Because I call BS.

I have driven my Leaf for a year from new, mostly using ePedal and have certainly not lost any braking reflex when a quick stop is needed.

@jwilf - your colleague is lying through his teeth - for what reason, I know not.

·
Registered
224 Posts

2/ Brake friction surface conditioning. Current automotive brake technology, especially cast iron disks, friction materials that imbed on the cast iron, sliding calipers, piston retraction via elastomers, only work well if they are being used on a frequent basis, even if its just a gentle application to bring a car to a holt. Witness the terrible condition that most brakes on early i3s and many Leafs end up in due to lack of use.

In my opinion, car manufacturers are mostly pandering to lazy human tendencies by offering this kind of technology.

Anyway, switch it off if you can.
What a load of rubbish. E-pedal is great in traffic.

Next you will be saying that all other advances have a negative effect on being able to drive - air con is terrible, it keeps you comfortable. Much better when we had to use the heater or open a window......

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
@jwilf - your colleague is lying through his teeth - for what reason, I know not.
I doubt he's actually lying - more likely that he's misunderstood something his salesperson said (or indeed they handed out duff info - it happened to me !) and won't admit he (or they) might be wrong.

·
Registered
224 Posts
As for ‘conditioning’ the brakes, ePedal still uses the physical brakes.

By the way, I am getting much better economy without ePedal switched on.
yes i have been trying to get my fuel economy up and i find the morning commute (very little traffic) with ePedal off is best, but the trip home with usually heavy traffic it is best to have it on

Going by the MyLeaf app

Monday
4.48 in the morning and 4.84 in the evening
Tuesday
4.71 in the morning and 4.67 in the evening
Wednesday
4.51 in the morning and 5.03 in the evening

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I doubt he's actually lying - more likely that he's misunderstood something his salesperson said (or indeed they handed out duff info - it happened to me !) and won't admit he (or they) might be wrong.
Hmm. The person in question owns the car and told his colleague that it only has one physical pedal. How could that be other than being economical with the truth? Unless he is somewhat overweight and can't see his feet.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I think the Leaf is a special case where even if the driver pushes the brake pedal, it still might not stop (ok, software bugs only on restricted build dates).

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I think the Leaf is a special case where even if the driver pushes the brake pedal, it still might not stop (ok, software bugs only on restricted build dates).
Did you read article? Driver admitted to cops he didn't brake o_O

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Did you read article? Driver admitted to cops he didn't brake o_O
Yes I did read the quote.

So, Leaf braking. It might lead to a crash through misuse of Propilot or failure of Propilot software as per that motorway crash.

Or the combined electric booster/master cylinder module might also fail, because allegedly Nissan shipped more than a years production with faulty software, which under some conditions can lead to ineffective brakes.

Above issues are entirely separate.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Or the combined electric booster/master cylinder module might also fail, because allegedly Nissan shipped more than a years production with faulty software, which under some conditions can lead to ineffective brakes.
That's not good. Have they issues a recall? Mandatory for safety issues AFAIK.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts