Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 41000 miles my leafs mot was due 15 January so I took it in early just in case. It failed on both track rod ends. Car is three years old. I thought it was knocking a bit.

Lucky I rang nissan and is covered under warranty so am taking it to them tomorrow for repair.

Am I first person. To have a car fail? First time

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,471 Posts
Track rod ends are virtually consumables these days, especially if you have lots of those 'pillow' type speed bumps around the area. That's not a failure, just 'service work'!!! ;)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Track rod ends are virtually consumables these days, especially if you have lots of those 'pillow' type speed bumps around the area. That's not a failure, just 'service work'!!! ;)
Well 25k of that mileage is in town and it's quite bumpy and most routes have speed bumps just didn't think they would fail so soon

·
Super Moderator
7,271 Posts
Well 25k of that mileage is in town and it's quite bumpy and most routes have speed bumps just didn't think they would fail so soon
It's a heavy car, and I don't know about you but I find it quite smooth over even quite large speed bumps so don't really slow down much for them. Certainly don't go down to "second gear" speeds.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's a heavy car, and I don't know about you but I find it quite smooth over even quite large speed bumps so don't really slow down much for them. Certainly don't go down to "second gear" speeds.
I quite agree - it is one of the pleasures of driving a Leaf around town. Such a smooth ride!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I find that too. Probably cause it doesn't have a fat engine at the front and the weight is distributed more evenly.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Track rod ends are one of those contentious fail items being almost impossible to measure in situ, and relying on the skilled judgement of the tester.
I once had a car fail , we ordered a new end, it had the same movement designed into it as the failed one. The MOT tester, a friend, was most embarrassed.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,471 Posts
A truly worn track rod end would manifest as front tow-in/out tyre wear, because the tyre would be alternatively scrubbing forwards or backwards during accel and decel events.

No tyre wear on the edges means no relevant play in the track rods.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just be grateful you haven't got a semi self-driving car which needs a £££ camera and radar calibration after changing a track rod end!

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
A truly worn track rod end would manifest as front tow-in/out tyre wear, because the tyre would be alternatively scrubbing forwards or backwards during accel and decel events.

There are of course other reasons that make a track rod end 'un-serviceable',

·
Registered
306 Posts

You're right, but the wear could be caused by movement elsewhere, such as a lower balljoint, steering rack, etc

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Just be grateful you haven't got a semi self-driving car which needs a £££ camera and radar calibration after changing a track rod end!
and roll on 2019/20..
We always said that the manufacturers and dealers would need to recoup losses from EV drivetrains being more reliable somehow.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Had un even tyre wear on front it in for replacement now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts