Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Leaf is in for first service (a bit late due to various reasons). I've just had a text linking to the vehicle inspection report complete with video recommending I replace the front disc as there is corrosion! It's a bit hard to see in the video but I'd hazard a guess that the corrosion is purely down to a lack of use of the brakes. At any rate I don't believe that any car at just over a year old and with under 10k should need anything doing to the brakes.

Obviously, I am not going to authorise the work. Can anyone advise if they have had similar?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I always used to do a quick run with hard braking before a service or MoT, for precisely that reason. I feel it's a favourite for mechanics as a simple but profitable job - although donald has pointed out that modern brake discs are more consumable than when I was a young lad.

·
Chartered Engineer
1,635 Posts
If it's just surface corrosion then some long hard braking events will sort it, the problem is that the surface corrosion sometimes leads to pitting and in extreme cases cracking of the discs - without cleaning off the surface corrosion it's tricky to tell if that's the case. Part of the problem I suspect is that mechanics are used to the fossil burning antiques and with those these signs of corrosion are usually an indicator of something serious because the surface should be cleaned off through their regular (and wasteful) use.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In this context, what do you think about the corrosion I mentioned at Missing center caps on Tekna wheels

(in that post you can only see the center caps, but I remember there were also stains from corrosion on the brake discs when I had my tires changed for the winter in August - yes, I changed them early because I cut one tire with a piece of glass, and Nissan did not have a spare tire of the same type)

?

Now my car is almost 1 year old, so it will be due for its 1st service soon. Do you think at Nissan they will have the courage to recommend something similar to me? If so, should I try to complain (again)? Last time they said corrosion was normal, even on a brand new car.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had a car (ICE) which was annually main dealer serviced to maintain the warranty. They advised the tyres were worn and due for replacement. The 2nd year they repeated the warning. The 3rd year they reported the tyres had 5 to 6mm of tread. Yes, the same dealer and the same tyres! The final straw was when they advised the front discs were corroded. I drove straight to a national chain service garage for 2nd opinion. The discs were not corroded, but we're worn almost to the limit. They recommended exchanging them and quoted 1/3 cost of a main dealer. Of course I've never been back to that original dealer!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Brake disc corrosion is a favourite to make a few quid. Another that I used to hear was rusting exhaust. Unless you trust the mechanic involved get a second opinion (I always use a local guy who I trust to not advise work that doesn't need doing.. indeed he's done lots for me for free as he won't charge unless he can fix the problem and my old car was something of an enigma when it broke).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just for an update, when the car was picked up from service, my wife was advised that they recommended the brakes were checked and possibly replaced in 3 months. All very vague and very disappointing that they would recommend this rather than say, "Hey, this doesn't seem right to us with a new car, maybe we'll confirm with Nissan directly" or something similar.

·
Chartered Engineer
1,635 Posts
The problem is that brake discs and pads are very easy to change and a nice little earner so there is an unfortunate incentive to suggest this early. Surface corrosion forms quite easily on EVs because the regen braking can cover most braking needs if driving carefully - this can be an issue because it can reduce the brake effectiveness and cause grabbing, but if left for long periods pits form in the surface and these can lead to cracks developing. It's at that stage where the discs need to be replaced and it's usually a good idea to replace the pads as well because they can experience uneven wear.

It seems a bit counter intuitive but occasionally it's a good idea to give the brakes a good workout - eg a fast deceleration from high speed a few times - to remove the surface corrosion. One suggestion is that when range charging to 100% the regen will be limited anyway so go for coasting followed by relatively harsh brake use for the first few minutes - you have to use the brakes anyway and the net efficiency works out the same, it just feels wrong!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.