Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a cheap Gen1, 61 plate, 37k but SOH only 79%. It's only ever had 27 rapid charges. Could the SOH improve with a rapid charging routine?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
It's been reported a couple of % improvement but it's apparently not a permanent fix but try several repetitive rapid charges to see the effect? With a Gen1 battery age seems to be more of a degradation issue than use, however all batteries degrade and many of the same age with low miles have lost the first bar (~85%). The next bars are reported to be every 6.25% so if not already done so your second bar will be lost.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Just bought a cheap Gen1, 61 plate, 37k but SOH only 79%. It's only ever had 27 rapid charges. Could the SOH improve with a rapid charging routine?
From the Gen 1 trendlines in the Leaf battery data I've collected so far, plotted by miles - 37k miles would be about 83%. By age, 6 years old also 83%. But you've one of the oldest cars, so let us know how it gets on!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(y) Yes £4700. I'm not a huge fan of white. Prices seem to have plateaued and I've not noticed anything else for under £6k with an owned battery. I hope you sell yours soon!

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
(y) Yes £4700. I'm not a huge fan of white. Prices seem to have plateaued and I've not noticed anything else for under £6k with an owned battery. I hope you sell yours soon!
Great price! I thought that £5k might be a floor price for a little while but perhaps the floor is a little lower.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I bet that car has been sat charged to 100% every single day. That's likely the cause of the SOH.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bet that car has been sat charged to 100% every single day. That's likely the cause of the SOH.
I thought the same, however I ran it flat yesterday (4 gids) and LeafSpy showed it has 1 weak cell #48. I charged it today to 100% and #48 is still at a significantly lower voltage.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Can you post the two leafspy reports? Low voltage doesn't necessarily mean it is a weak cell...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've attached 3 pics, 6048 was at 4 gids, 6051 fully charged and 6112 is 80% this morning ( a week later). The AHr and Hx have steadily increased over the week and today the SOH increased to 80%. I've been charging fully each night, running it down to ~30% each morning driving to work, then charging in the afternoon to drive home again. Thanks(y)

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
My leaf was 2 years old when I picked it up but only had 4000 on the clock. Was owned by a little old lady and clearly it had sat around fully charged for most of its life. Didn't leafspy it before purchase and was slightly gutted to see 87% SOH.
Have now put 1200 miles on it in 3 weeks and the SOH has been steadily climbing till I saw 94% this morning! It went very quickly up to 92% in a few days of charge cycles and then climbed the last 2% in the last 2 weeks. I have not rapid charged it - just 16A and some charges on the brick at work.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had a similar experience to BobbyC.

Mine started at 90% in April, went down to 86% in the summer which alarmed me due to the rapidness of the degradation, but as it got colder (coincidence?) the SOH started going up and is today at its highest ever of 92%.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts