Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend some led sidelight bulbs that work with the Leaf? The normal filament bulbs looks ridiculous next to the led headlights. I'm aware they are T10 501 bulbs but upon me trying a bulb I already had, it blew a fuse which I had to replace.

Can anyone recommend and provide a link to some white led sidelight bulbs that are compatible?

Do they need to be canbus compatible also?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Think I read over on Leaftalk somewhere that you have to run a resistor with the led bulbs as they draw less current and the car thinks that the bulb is blown, might have been just for indicators though? I agree they look out of place though, a bit like half a job.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty sure it's just led indicators that require load resistors. Sidelights will be ok without, it's just choosing which ones. Been reading about replacement led drl's also.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think you can buy ones that fit the drl as I've spent hours looking. I need to decide whether to buy those cheap bulbs in the link above (which didn't last) or widen the hole in the light unit to fit a better bulb with metal casing or glass protecting the leds.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Excellent, I hate the crappy orange side lights too.

I'm a little wary of the whole DIY modification of the bulbs but I'll give it a blast.

Can you do the same for your headlights? The full beams are crappy orange too aren't they?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Think I'll probably just try modifying the bulbs first. If they don't last I'll get some better quality bulbs and modify the housing.

I'll order some decent led sidelights too but maybe just take extra care to isolate the power first. For info, I blew the sidelight fuse which knocked out illumination to both sidelights and the rear offside led tail lights. The fuse is in the square box next to the nearside wing to the right of the battery. Think it was fuse F7 but it was a pig to get to as the fusebox is upside down and had to carefully be moved onto it's side when the top unclipped.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went for Philips T10 bulbs. They match the light color exactly on the led headlights. Have the car switched off when changing them you won't blow a fuse this way. I have switched to led drl also, what a difference!

1 - 20 of 147 Posts