Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[apologies it’s a Mk1 version 2 24kw 80 mile range max] We love our mk? leaf but are getting frustrated by the range. Had a test drive in the 62 Tekna and were quite impressed. Also tried the i3 but that seemed less practical for us. What else should I consider? Don’t want to go for anything that you have to pay road tax on and don’t want to spend much more than 30k ish. 99% of the time we home charge just a couple of journies a year over 150miles.

I will also need to upgrade my charge point whatever I go for as I currently only have the type 1 charger. Any pointers?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,106 Posts
Zoe and Ioniq would be the other two to consider aside from the LEAF. The CCS Charging will be better for you in the long run. Despite the batteries not being as big as the LEAF 62 they are both more efficient and therefore they still have respectable ranges but benefit from less time needed to recharge due to the smaller battery packs.

If you are only doing a couple of long journeys though, is it really worth spending the extra to upgrade? It seems like a lot of extra expense just for the sake of avoiding a few public chargers a year.

·
Registered
226 Posts
MG either the ZS or the new 5 both cheaper than the leaf ZS has a similar range to the 40kwh leaf but charges much faster and doesn't have rapidgate issues and the 5 has an official range of 214 so about 25% more than the ZS or leaf

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,125 Posts
How bothered by the ergonomics of the Leaf are you? If not at all then I'd think the 62 is the obvious choice. It is a well built car.

I had a Leaf 40 and switched to a corsa. It's far better to drive than the leaf but it's smaller. Being a first effort from PSA there's also a few school boy errors in the way it works so if you like bluetooth audio to connect immediately and not blast the radiio at you the Corsa would be very annoying. Satnav display in the driver binnacle is fantastic though. There's the E2008 which is a bit bigger and has the same power train and battery set up.

Corsa can be generally had for under £30k in the pre reg and ex demo areas.

Older Konas and Kia Niro First Editions have just started to skim the £30k bracket as well. That's far better than the Leaf for range. Check carefully with the Kona as to whether it's the 39kwh or the 64kwh as they seem to be mixed in at the lower prices end so make sure you get the version you wanted. The 39kwh on is usually nearly new and the 64kwh ones 2 years old.

I'd think a jump to Kia Niro would be the best bet for size/build quality and warranty etc. Kona is wide but boot is a bit small.

If you need the remote heating and cooling that would mean the Kia First edition is no good though. Soul EV 64 has it and the later Niros have it but the first editions definitely don't. Not sure about the Konas and Ioniqs as they brought in such functionality later so that's even more of a crap shoot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are only doing a couple of long journeys though, is it really worth spending the extra to upgrade? It seems like a lot of extra expense just for the sake of avoiding a few public chargers a year.
Our frustration with our existing leaf is that come winter with our normal 80% charge even destinations as short as 25miles away have us reaching for our ancient ICE. The sort of places we go on day trips, visiting family etc. Original idea was to replace the Lexus with a plug in hybrid but why split our merger mileage between two cars. Getting a better range will mean that the Lexus gets used about once a week when we need to go in different directions (a few miles only) and for dump runs and the like. Strictly speaking we could go for something more economical but OH loves his gadgets. We did look at the Tesla but it just isn’t practical for us..

·
Registered
613 Posts
Our frustration with our existing leaf is that come winter with our normal 80% charge even destinations as short as 25miles away have us reaching for our ancient ICE. The sort of places we go on day trips, visiting family etc. Original idea was to replace the Lexus with a plug in hybrid but why split our merger mileage between two cars. Getting a better range will mean that the Lexus gets used about once a week when we need to go in different directions (a few miles only) and for dump runs and the like. Strictly speaking we could go for something more economical but OH loves his gadgets. We did look at the Tesla but it just isn’t practical for us..
?? I thought you had a gen 2 (201:cool: 40kwh leaf? I have one and 150 miles is easily doable. Are you talking about a Gen 1 24kwh ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How bothered by the ergonomics of the Leaf are you? If not at all then I'd think the 62 is the obvious choice. It is a well built car.

I had a Leaf 40 and switched to a corsa. It's far better to drive than the leaf but it's smaller. Being a first effort from PSA there's also a few school boy errors in the way it works so if you like bluetooth audio to connect immediately and not blast the radiio at you the Corsa would be very annoying. Satnav display in the driver binnacle is fantastic though. There's the E2008 which is a bit bigger and has the same power train and battery set up.

Corsa can be generally had for under £30k in the pre reg and ex demo areas.

Older Konas and Kia Niro First Editions have just started to skim the £30k bracket as well. That's far better than the Leaf for range. Check carefully with the Kona as to whether it's the 39kwh or the 64kwh as they seem to be mixed in at the lower prices end so make sure you get the version you wanted. The 39kwh on is usually nearly new and the 64kwh ones 2 years old.

I'd think a jump to Kia Niro would be the best bet for size/build quality and warranty etc. Kona is wide but boot is a bit small.

If you need the remote heating and cooling that would mean the Kia First edition is no good though. Soul EV 64 has it and the later Niros have it but the first editions definitely don't. Not sure about the Konas and Ioniqs as they brought in such functionality later so that's even more of a crap shoot.
Thanks for that comprehensive reply really helpful - one issue is that we have been rather spoilt by the leaf 24 which is a tekna and wouldn’t contemplate a car without heated seats and steering wheel 😄. Getting all the bells and whistles on some of the other ranges can be very expensive and or limit availability

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
?? I thought you had a gen 2 (201:cool: 40kwh leaf? I have one and 150 miles is easily doable. Are you talking about a Gen 1 24kwh ?
Probably getting my terminology wrong it’s the 2013 version only minor upgrade from the very first leaf..

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,125 Posts
Corsa Elite Nav has front heated seats, steering wheel etc and remote heating and cooling. It's got the LED headlights. It's missing ACC and any kind of assisted steering. It does have the blind spot function but it's not as good as the Leaf 40's and 60s.

Pug E208 does have ACC on the top of the range model I think. That also has the app and heated front seats. Rear seats aren't heated in either which I think is on the Tekna grade of the Leaf 62. Not so sure about the N Connecta version.

The overhead 360 camera on the Leaf is better than the reversing camera on the Corsa/E208. They kind of fill in some missing bits and it's just not as good. Turning circle is better and they're narrower and shorter than the Leaf so you can fit more easily in spaces.

Satnav on the Corsa (and I assume E208) is much better than the Leaf. It can be displayed in the dashboard so you can see where you are supposed to be going far more easily. The Leaf turn direction thing in the dashboard wouldn't always correspond to the junction layout properly so you'd have to check on the map on the main unit which wasn't always that easy to see. This is so clear it's far harder to go the wrong way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Depending on if the size is an issue, a new top spec e-208 GT is available via online brokers for £28k brand new. Sounds like a good purchase, unless you want to spend the extra to get a e-Niro. A new one of them with the bigger battery is £33k new.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,106 Posts
Probably getting my terminology wrong it’s the 2013 version only minor upgrade from the very first leaf..
Ah! Now I can see why you were getting frustrated about range. A 2013 is very much a first generation 24kWh car.

In which case you could even consider looking at cars like the first generation 28kWh Ioniq used to save a bit of money. Slight increase in battery capacity but the efficiency makes longer distances possible plus really fast charging up to 70kW. There's also cars like the Renault Zoe ZE40 if you're looking at cheaper, used options. Both of these will give you a significant range boost, but a 150 Mile journey would be a bit of a push in both of these without a quick top up on the way, especially if you are travelling at speed, or it's cold, wet and windy.

If you are still wanting to go new, then the new 38kWh Ioniq or the 50kWh Zoe would be decent options. There's also the 64kWh Kona/Niro but they are larger cars, a bit more expensive, and you may be waiting a while to get one new. Despite loving my old 30kWh LEAF I wasn't a fan of the new 40/62kWh model so personally would be going for one of the above suggestions. If of course you're happy with the LEAF and you can get a good deal on the E+ then maybe consider it, just bearing in mind that it has Chademo which is starting to fall out of favor now with new rapid chargers from Ecotricity and Ionity for example being CCS only. You also won't get active battery cooling so rapid charge speeds will tend to be lower and will likely find your battery degrades faster than the competition.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I went from Leaf 24 to Ioniq28. In my opinion, the Ioniq is the car the Leaf could have been. I was frustrated by the Leaf's slow charging, poor efficiency, lack of battery thermal management (so winter range is hit hard) and fast battery aging. The Ioniq sorted all these and I had 160 miles from it more than once. Efficiency at speed also meant I could travel at 70mph rather than driving annoyingly slowly!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah! Now I can see why you were getting frustrated about range. A 2013 is very much a first generation 24kWh car.

In which case you could even consider looking at cars like the first generation 28kWh Ioniq used to save a bit of money. Slight increase in battery capacity but the efficiency makes longer distances possible plus really fast charging up to 70kW. There's also cars like the Renault Zoe ZE40 if you're looking at cheaper, used options. Both of these will give you a significant range boost, but a 150 Mile journey would be a bit of a push in both of these without a quick top up on the way, especially if you are travelling at speed, or it's cold, wet and windy.

If you are still wanting to go new, then the new 38kWh Ioniq or the 50kWh Zoe would be decent options. There's also the 64kWh Kona/Niro but they are larger cars, a bit more expensive, and you may be waiting a while to get one new. Despite loving my old 30kWh LEAF I wasn't a fan of the new 40/62kWh model so personally would be going for one of the above suggestions. If of course you're happy with the LEAF and you can get a good deal on the E+ then maybe consider it, just bearing in mind that it has Chademo which is starting to fall out of favor now with new rapid chargers from Ecotricity and Ionity for example being CCS only. You also won't get active battery cooling so rapid charge speeds will tend to be lower and will likely find your battery degrades faster than the competition.
We had a look at the Kona/Niro when we were looking at upgrading the Lexus - too big for a replacement for the Leaf I think - Its just the two of us and dog 90% of the time. I take the point about the rapid charging but we so rarely do long drives.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
+1 more vote for the Ioniq, I have the 38kwh version after previously having 2 24 Leafs, its definitely a better all around car and very well equipped, small battery (in modern terms) but very, very efficient, in summer months I have been getting just shy of 200 miles out of a full charge. The ventilated seats are a brilliant idea for when the weather is hot
The rear visibility takes some getting used to (but you do) and it lacks some of the Leaf's off the line performance but other than that I have no regrets and have been enjoying it immensely.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I will also need to upgrade my charge point whatever I go for as I currently only have the type 1 charger. Any pointers?
You might be able to use the grant if you can evidence having 2 EVs to justify the 2nd install. Not sure if a brief overlap might be enough.
I ended up changing my type 1 lead to type 2 lead on a 16A Rolec charger and living with longer charge times as I knew I could live with overnight charging. Still cost £270 so not cheap but alternatives were far more without grant and I wanted a quick fix.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I can't undestand why people don't just jump on the MG ZS exclusive, build quality is great, looks are fine, it's big and roomy, its got the glass roof, apple/android stuff, heated leather (!), fast charging. Plus a seven year warranty !!. If I didn't have a top of the range Volvo PHEV, I'd buy one in a heartbeat - it leaves all the others in the dust value wise.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
+1 more vote for the Ioniq, I have the 38kwh version after previously having 2 24 Leafs, its definitely a better all around car and very well equipped, small battery (in modern terms) but very, very efficient, in summer months I have been getting just shy of 200 miles out of a full charge. The ventilated seats are a brilliant idea for when the weather is hot
The rear visibility takes some getting used to (but you do) and it lacks some of the Leaf's off the line performance but other than that I have no regrets and have been enjoying it immensely.
The Ioniq got marked down for us on the practicality of the boot - not really a full hatch OH wasn't happy with the performance on paper and sub 200 range. Nice car though.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
you discount the kona as being "too big", but its smaller than the LEAF?
You also discount the e-niro as being too big, when its LEAF sized, but has a more useful boot due to it being a more upright hatch?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't undestand why people don't just jump on the MG ZS exclusive, build quality is great, looks are fine, it's big and roomy, its got the glass roof, apple/android stuff, heated leather (!), fast charging. Plus a seven year warranty !!. If I didn't have a top of the range Volvo PHEV, I'd buy one in a heartbeat - it leaves all the others in the dust value wise.
It is a great value car and the glass roof is nice but it falls a bit between to stools for us. If we had decided to get rid of the Lexus it would have been more appropriate..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you discount the kona as being "too big", but its smaller than the LEAF?
You also discount the e-niro as being too big, when its LEAF sized, but has a more useful boot due to it being a more upright hatch?
Re the kona your probably right - I guess its the SUV styling that made it seem bigger. It got marked down for no heated steering wheel though :giggle:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts