Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know which mobile network the Leaf uses to connect itself? The website says make sure your car is in an area where there is signal, but I need to know which signal I'm looking for!

Ta!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, keep in mind switching network can take quite some times. Just go on your setup and get the the list of networks it takes easily a minute....

·
Registered
2018 Soul EV
2,555 Posts
I was told it uses Vodaphone ? Some times the signal is crap or none existent on the car - but i get a good signal on my phone and my phone is on O2 so for me at least it does not seem to hop on any network.
Sounds like it uses the same telematics system as the Soul EV - NONE

·
Registered
122 Posts
Does anyone know which mobile network the Leaf uses to connect itself? The website says make sure your car is in an area where there is signal, but I need to know which signal I'm looking for!

Ta!
Telenor SIM in mine too.

Unsure if it's roaming on O2 or Vodafone (who share a lot of masts and infrastructure), but it definitely does *not* roam on EE - as fails to connect in rural places which have EE but no O2 or Vodafone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thats something I have not looked at. Are you saying I can choose what network the car uses ?
I wish, no, I mean if you check networks in your phone, you will see it takes time.

So, if your car can roam on different networks, it will have a preferred one. When signal is weak, it will wait before considering it dead, then it will broadcast to check the available networks then register to it.

I suppose it could take easily a couple of minutes to get signal back.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I suppose it could take easily a couple of minutes to get signal back.
I spent a lot of time travelling overseas, and as I'm driven across cities I see my iPad bounce between different carriers without any apparent disruption to my data usage.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I used to work with data collection devices that used these sims. They are incredibly cheap, maybe a quid a month. But they are using the slowest part of the network without a doubt.

I'm still surprised at the slowness of the Nissan data retrieval. I would be surprised if the amount of data being sent to and from the car is more than a few hundred bytes, which, in theory, should take less than a second, even on this slow part of the network. I can only guess that it's the number of requests hammering the Nissan servers that cause the slow update to the app.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I used to work with data collection devices that used these sims. They are incredibly cheap, maybe a quid a month. But they are using the slowest part of the network without a doubt.

I'm still surprised at the slowness of the Nissan data retrieval. I would be surprised if the amount of data being sent to and from the car is more than a few hundred bytes, which, in theory, should take less than a second, even on this slow part of the network. I can only guess that it's the number of requests hammering the Nissan servers that cause the slow update to the app.

I agree - but then I thought, hmm, handshaking, and they were hacked a while back so they probably have a massive security overhead on the few hundred bytes.
I imagine they don't have oauth or anything sensible like that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts