Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
6 days left in my N-Connecta May 2018 Leaf 40kWh after 36,000 miles. Having test driven an i-pace on launch I am finally getting a low miles used one.

BUT I'll be really sad to say bye to my Leaf so here's some goods and a few bads.

The Positives:

• Fun! I still enjoy that EV surge :) This was my first EV.
  • Love the tech! My N-Connecta had additional ProPilot driver assist which I loved for the semi regular 77 mile dual carriageway commutes. Birdseye cam views really useful. Apple carplay works well.
  • B mode regressive braking rules. I nearly always have on as you soon learn to enjoy the one pedal driving and avoid 90% of braking.
  • Cheap! I was lucky to have free 7kW charging at work when commuting so my costs have been v low. Service costs minimal. Up front cost of around 24k very reasonable (ex demo).
  • Zappi 2 home charger to add in excess solar works well though watch out for initial install issues. Don't expect huge amounts though and maybe no charge at all if not above 1kW excess available depending on settings (car needs 1.4kW minimum or won’t charge). Combine with eg. Octopus energy for v cheap overnight charging.
  • Preheating the car in winter via app though watch the power consumption up to a few % gone...
  • Room in car for passengers and boot pretty ok for a car this size. I've regularly had 2 car seats in the back though no isofix and getting tighter as they grow.
  • Comfort pretty good considering I'm 6'1" though I did have an issue with lower back on 2 hour+ trips but no problem since I added a slim rectangular cushion.

The Negatives:

• The range is mostly fine but a little more would often be helpful so 60kWh version makes sense for someone like me who doesn't stop so often. Nevertheless in summer I have done 77 miles with 50% battery available according to dash. Degradation of range after 36k miles only a few % so barely noticeable.
  • UK national charging infrastructure :( However, planning ahead (eg. Supermarket fast chargers) and avoiding ecotricity where possible make it doable. I've driven Midlands to France via Dover ok though French charging infrastructure even worse....
  • The official app is slow and cumbersome. It may have improved but like many I paid a couple of quid for MyLeaf which still has to wait for SMS system but is just better to use.
  • BIGGEST ISSUES: Nissan support. After a car in front emergency stopped at a roundabout I couldn't avoid a minor collision. However my local approved dealer took a month over Christmas 18/19 to sort out replacing the front because of camera/radar tech issues while they waited on Nissan parts they said. It was in year of launch and over Christmas but direct contact with Nissan was almost non existent or useless when I tried. I also had an issue registering the car online for the app etc with Nissan after collection which was not as straightforward to resolve as it should have been.
  • One tyre pressure sensor never worked and only fixed recently (had to pay not warranty?)

May think of more...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6 days left in my N-Connecta May 2018 Leaf 40kWh after 36,000 miles. Having test driven an i-pace on launch I am finally getting a low miles used one.

BUT I'll be really sad to say bye to my Leaf so here's some goods and a few bads.

The Positives:

• Fun! I still enjoy that EV surge :) This was my first EV.
  • Love the tech! My N-Connecta had additional ProPilot driver assist which I loved for the semi regular 77 mile dual carriageway commutes. Birdseye cam views really useful. Apple carplay works well.
  • B mode regressive braking rules. I nearly always have on as you soon learn to enjoy the one pedal driving and avoid 90% of braking.
  • Cheap! I was lucky to have free 7kW charging at work when commuting so my costs have been v low. Service costs minimal. Up front cost of around 24k very reasonable (ex demo).
  • Zappi 2 home charger to add in excess solar works well though watch out for initial install issues. Don't expect huge amounts though and maybe no charge at all if not above 1kW excess available depending on settings (car needs 1.4kW minimum or won’t charge). Combine with eg. Octopus energy for v cheap overnight charging.
  • Preheating the car in winter via app though watch the power consumption up to a few % gone...
  • Room in car for passengers and boot pretty ok for a car this size. I've regularly had 2 car seats in the back though no isofix and getting tighter as they grow.
  • Comfort pretty good considering I'm 6'1" though I did have an issue with lower back on 2 hour+ trips but no problem since I added a slim rectangular cushion.

The Negatives:

• The range is mostly fine but a little more would often be helpful so 60kWh version makes sense for someone like me who doesn't stop so often. Nevertheless in summer I have done 77 miles with 50% battery available according to dash. Degradation of range after 36k miles only a few % so barely noticeable.
  • UK national charging infrastructure :( However, planning ahead (eg. Supermarket fast chargers) and avoiding ecotricity where possible make it doable. I've driven Midlands to France via Dover ok though French charging infrastructure even worse....
  • The official app is slow and cumbersome. It may have improved but like many I paid a couple of quid for MyLeaf which still has to wait for SMS system but is just better to use.
  • BIGGEST ISSUES: Nissan support. After a car in front emergency stopped at a roundabout I couldn't avoid a minor collision. However my local approved dealer took a month over Christmas 18/19 to sort out replacing the front because of camera/radar tech issues while they waited on Nissan parts they said. It was in year of launch and over Christmas but direct contact with Nissan was almost non existent or useless when I tried. I also had an issue registering the car online for the app etc with Nissan after collection which was not as straightforward to resolve as it should have been.
  • One tyre pressure sensor never worked and only fixed recently (had to pay not warranty?)

May think of more...
What do people think the 2018 Leaf described here would fetch on private sale? Guessing max £16k compared to £13.5k trade?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.