1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Japan only in 2018

RC model.

Should Nissan be more adventurous with the Leaf in it's twilight years and also make it appeal to younger buys?

It's high time Nissan UK shook off the old pensioner image but not like this:

·
Super Moderator
5,905 Posts
Speaking to the sales that I bought my e-NV and two LEAF from about a new LEAF an he said that the LEAF isn't going anywhere. The new battery plant in Sunderland will be building an 80kWh battery for a new LEAF (to be an update again) for next year.....

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speaking to the sales that I bought my e-NV and two LEAF from about a new LEAF an he said that the LEAF isn't going anywhere. The new battery plant in Sunderland will be building an 80kWh battery for a new LEAF (to be an update again) for next year.....
Good news but please let them restyle the front end and stop making every Nissan look the same from that messy frontal styling.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those turned in wheels. Are you sure it's not your motor @farmergiles ? Didn't you say you altered the tracking to improve torque steer? (Anyway, why do the hot rods do that with their wheels? Can't they measure the arches properly or something? :))
You are confusing toe with camber! The Leaf's rear wheels appear to have visible negative camber - top leans in slightly.
I have no idea why the idiots ruin the handling and suffer the inevitable tyre wear with those mods.

·
Registered
215 Posts
he said that the LEAF isn't going anywhere
I realise that I'm a bit biased but I agree with this. To most British ICE drivers the Leaf is the best known EV and it still sells well. It has good kit and unless you're an ardent EV devotee it is not old tech. The larger battery may be resolving some of the previous degradation issues and because it's based on a successful formula, costs should continue to come down too. Maybe a move to CCS would be preferable but as @GOSPORT DAVE says, chademo is perhaps more reliable. I don't see Nissan rushing to replace either.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I realise that I'm a bit biased but I agree with this. To most British ICE drivers the Leaf is the best known EV and it still sells well. It has good kit and unless you're an ardent EV devotee it is not old tech. The larger battery may be resolving some of the previous degradation issues and because it's based on a successful formula, costs should continue to come down too. Maybe a move to CCS would be preferable but as @GOSPORT DAVE says, chademo is perhaps more reliable. I don't see Nissan rushing to replace either.
The tech works, and reliably too, unlike the never ending stream of issues that afflict it's competitors.

Nissan will have recovered the development costs a few years ago, making the cars more affordable, and not because, as Leaf detractors imply, because they can't sell them.

I heard that there will ultimately be a replacment sharing the Megane platform but there is defintiely scope for a facelift, with a view to making it more appealing to younger drivers. With an 80kwh battery it should have a range of over 300miles.
It would be nice to have a dual motor version too.
I was under mine a few days ago and noticed a large space under the boot, probably large enough for a space saver. but certainly room for a second smaller motor (50hp?)

·
Super Moderator
5,905 Posts
Chadamo is not being fitted is the information I was given..... The "new" LEAF will be CCS......

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chadamo is not being fitted is the information I was given..... The "new" LEAF will be CCS......
Yes, I accept that CCS is the future but there will not be any shortage of chademo chargers for many years.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
428 Posts
The Ariya is CCS, so expect everything after that to be CCS. It's good that we'll have Chademo chargers, but only to support existing LEAF models. It would be madness to introduce a new Chademo car now.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A Leaf refresh is much needed, hence why its getting decimated in the sales charts against much newer design EV’s.
Nissan can't do multi tasking, like us blokes. All their attention is focused on the Ariya!

·
Super Moderator
5,905 Posts
Yes, I accept that CCS is the future but there will not be any shortage of chademo chargers for many years.
i wasn’t talking about the chargers, the fact remains that Nissan is now moving to CCS

·
Super Moderator
5,905 Posts
@Chrisb , do you have UK sales figures? I suspect the Leaf figures more strongly.
talking to the sales guy.he said that Nissan can’t keep up with the orders….. Could be BS, but I think in the UK he is probably correct

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
talking to the sales guy.he said that Nissan can’t keep up with the orders….. Could be BS, but I think in the UK he is probably correct
Believeable because the 0% finance on the E+ models has ended. Now 2.99%

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,839 Posts
The Ariya is CCS, so expect everything after that to be CCS. It's good that we'll have Chademo chargers, but only to support existing LEAF models. It would be madness to introduce a new Chademo car now.
I checked not long ago and total number is CHAdeMO cars ever sold in UK is 85k of which Outlanders amount to 46k.

As a Leaf driver I agree there’s no point anyone supporting CHAdeMO indefinitely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
No-one can keep up with orders, because no-one is building cars! Current wait on most new cars is 3-6 months, 12 for very popular models....

No chips see...

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No-one can keep up with orders, because no-one is building cars! Current wait on most new cars is 3-6 months, 12 for very popular models....

No chips see...
Bring back carburetters.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts