Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We have a problem with our 2017 Leaf 30. It wont get into drive mode any more and displays the warning When parked apply parking break as well as an I-Key warning.
This started yesterday when my wife was driving home from work. She made a stop at a shop and when she tried to go again she noticed the I-Key warning. So she exited the car locked it got back in and the car started and she got home. When she got home and exited the car you could hear a whining sound on the outside and when in the car it is a constant beeping.
I spent several hours looking up potential issues and tried moving the car. I managed to reverse the car off the drive and back on again fine but after that it has never gone back into drive mode. Intermittantly I could turn the car off but now it keeps restarting itself when trying to turn off. The sat nav / stereo constantly stays on and when you press the power button the dash turns off briefly before coming back on. The only way to turn it off is disconnecting the 12v battery.
Speaking of which, this is commonly mentioned as a fault at 3+ years old. So I tested it last night and the charge was low.
So this morning we purchased a replacement but we still have the issue. I've had to disconnect the battery to stop it draining because the car wont turn off.
I've noticed the Electric shift control system warning light, the 12-volt battery charge warning light and the Security indicator light are all lit up on the dash, not sure if this is related or a red herring.

Has anyone got any thoughts on what could be causing this?
I would first like to eliminate any simple potential causes before resorting to the main dealer (as this car was purchased second hand). And if it does need to go to dealer, I am not sure how to do this because we can't get the car into neutral.
Thank you

Super Moderator
My Leaf did this when the 12V was critically low. A good charge, a resync of the keys, (hold it right next to the power button when turning it on) and all was well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Leaf did this when the 12V was critically low. A good charge, a resync of the keys, (hold it right next to the power button when turning it on) and all was well.
Hi Edd,
We've just replaced the battery with a brand new one this morning. I assumed it's fully charged but I will double check.
Thanks for the info.

Registered
While some of those problems sound like the 12v battery is flat I'm also wondering if the battery in the key fob is flat, especially due to the i-Key error. (Intelligent key) Do you have a spare key fob you can try?

By the way if you ever can't start the car due to a flat battery in the key fob hold the key fob close to the power button while you press it. This uses the short range RFID tag to authenticate the key with the car and will get you going in an emergency.

Another thing that can cause problems with the intelligent key which actually happened to me, is interference on 433Mhz. In my case I had a weather station outdoor temperature sensor with a nearly flat battery inside the car, and it put out enough interference that it prevented both the key fob and the tyre pressure sensors from working!! I was still able to start the car with the keyfob close to the power button (fortunately) and removing the faulty outdoor temperature sensor from the vicinity of the car restored normal operation.

Frequent beeping from the car when the key fob is missing from the car and the door is closed while the car is on is normal, so I would say that beeping is related to the intelligent key playing up, if indeed it is, because the car can't tell whether a key fob with a flat battery is inside the car or not.

By the way when I replaced the battery in my key fob I found certain brands of cells don't fit very well and don't make good contact even though they are the right type number, also it's quite easy to break the plastic inside the key fob so be very careful replacing the battery if you do take it apart. Initially I would just try your other key fob if you have two.

If you use a key with a flat battery to start the car by holding it close to the power button there will be no protection against locking the key in the car, beware! The only way to lock the car when the key fob battery is flat is to press the door lock button on the arm rest with the door open then swing the door shut and it will stay locked, (normally it won't let you do this if it can detect the key either inside or near the car) so make sure the key is in your hand if you do that...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While some of those problems sound like the 12v battery is flat I'm also wondering if the battery in the key fob is flat, especially due to the i-Key error. (Intelligent key) Do you have a spare key fob you can try?

By the way if you ever can't start the car due to a flat battery in the key fob hold the key fob close to the power button while you press it. This uses the short range RFID tag to authenticate the key with the car and will get you going in an emergency.

Another thing that can cause problems with the intelligent key which actually happened to me, is interference on 433Mhz. In my case I had a weather station outdoor temperature sensor with a nearly flat battery inside the car, and it put out enough interference that it prevented both the key fob and the tyre pressure sensors from working!! I was still able to start the car with the keyfob close to the power button (fortunately) and removing the faulty outdoor temperature sensor from the vicinity of the car restored normal operation.

Frequent beeping from the car when the key fob is missing from the car and the door is closed while the car is on is normal, so I would say that beeping is related to the intelligent key playing up, if indeed it is, because the car can't tell whether a key fob with a flat battery is inside the car or not.

By the way when I replaced the battery in my key fob I found certain brands of cells don't fit very well and don't make good contact even though they are the right type number, also it's quite easy to break the plastic inside the key fob so be very careful replacing the battery if you do take it apart. Initially I would just try your other key fob if you have two.

If you use a key with a flat battery to start the car by holding it close to the power button there will be no protection against locking the key in the car, beware! The only way to lock the car when the key fob battery is flat is to press the door lock button on the arm rest with the door open then swing the door shut and it will stay locked, (normally it won't let you do this if it can detect the key either inside or near the car) so make sure the key is in your hand if you do that...
We do have a spare key and I had tried that but with no success. To rule out the key-fob battery, I鈥檝e just tested with a replacement and that wasn鈥檛 successfully either.

Super Moderator
Do you have an OBD dongle and the leafspy app? There may be some fault codes logged which are stopping shutdown (or offer some clues)

Registered
My 17 reg leaf did this and a new remote battery sorted my problem , The batts for the remote are cheap so I now chang it every 6 months

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have an OBD dongle and the leafspy app? There may be some fault codes logged which are stopping shutdown (or offer some clues)
I鈥檝e placed an order for a Bluetooth OBD dongle that claims to work with Leafspy.
I鈥檝e got my 馃 that it鈥檚 not a leaky window that I鈥檝e seen other reports of.

Super Moderator
I鈥檝e had a number of different codes logged on my 2011 leaf over the years that I鈥檝e cleared with leafspy and then carried on regardless. Good luck!

Registered
My 17 reg leaf did this and a new remote battery sorted my problem , The batts for the remote are cheap so I now chang it every 6 months
Interesting. I wonder if a key fob with a low battery can transmit interference (babble) like my outdoor weather sensor with low battery did ?

In that case when the presumed good spare key fob is tested the suspect fob should be taken a long way from the car, or put inside something shielded like a Microwave or the battery removed to ensure it can't transmit any interference, as if it is within a few metres of the car it would still interfere even though a good fob was nearby.

My key fob was perfectly good when the weather sensor was interfering and it completely killed the operation of the keyfob. (As well as the tyre sensors, which work on the same frequency)

Registered
There was a problem on here similar to yours where the vehicle would not turn off due to water leaking into the relay box and giving similar problems due to the window screen not being bonded correctly. May be worth a look if new batteries do not cure.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There was a problem on here similar to yours where the vehicle would not turn off due to water leaking into the relay box and giving similar problems due to the window screen not being bonded correctly. May be worth a look if new batteries do not cure.
I am hoping this is not the case as the car was purchased second hand, is out of the 3 year warranty and i dread to think what a dealer would charge to sort. I guess the next step is the error codes given the most common / obvious causes have been eliminated.

Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
I also had similar problems with a two week old 2017 Leaf 24 from new when the windscreen leaked rainwater into an essential electronic gizmo under the bonnet which caused numerous bizarre electrical problems. The windscreen was replaced but that one also leaked - badly soiling the headlining all along the top of the inside. The third windscreen was bonded correctly and when the modem was replaced all was well with the car for the next three years.

Registered
I would also check the drain holes by the strut tops (especially the drivers side, RHD) aren't blocked. These drains can be accessed by popping out the plastic panels at each end of the windscreen wiper motor cavity when the bonnet is open. Inside you'll see the suspension strut tops and there is a large cavity behind them with a drain hole in the panel to the outside edge.

The one on the drivers side not only has more water leak directly into it from the pivot point of the right hand wiper blade, the drain hole is tiny compared to the left hand one - about the size of your small finger and easily blocks up with dirt.

When I bought mine I removed the covers to check the condition of the strut tops (in preparation for fitting caps to them) and discovered a swimming pool a couple of inches deep behind the strut top even though it hadn't rained since the previous day... and due to the shape of this compartment which connects both sides driving around corners would cause it to slosh from side to side and potentially spill into the engine bay.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would also check the drain holes by the strut tops (especially the drivers side, RHD) aren't blocked. These drains can be accessed by popping out the plastic panels at each end of the windscreen wiper motor cavity when the bonnet is open. Inside you'll see the suspension strut tops and there is a large cavity behind them with a drain hole in the panel to the outside edge.

The one on the drivers side not only has more water leak directly into it from the pivot point of the right hand wiper blade, the drain hole is tiny compared to the left hand one - about the size of your small finger and easily blocks up with dirt.

When I bought mine I removed the covers to check the condition of the strut tops (in preparation for fitting caps to them) and discovered a swimming pool a couple of inches deep behind the strut top even though it hadn't rained since the previous day... and due to the shape of this compartment which connects both sides driving around corners would cause it to slosh from side to side and potentially spill into the engine bay.
Thanks, I will take a look on a dry day. I can鈥檛 believe companies can get away with these poor designs. Maybe they should start shipping cars with Beta stickers in the top corner of the windscreen.

Registered
Nissan LEAF30
The LEAF was released in 2011 so still calling it Beta in 2017 is having a laugh. That Nissan never bothered to fix the issue is very poor.

Super Moderator
The LEAF was released in 2011 so still calling it Beta in 2017 is having a laugh. That Nissan never bothered to fix the issue is very poor.
Ironically the 2011 Japanese version doesn鈥檛 have this issue, seems to be 2013+ Sunderland cars.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So today I finally received the ODB2 bluetooth scanner but I couldn't get it to connect to Leafspy. NEXAS NexLink Bluetooth 5.0 Diagnostic Scanner For Carista, Bimmer, LeafSpy OBD2 | eBay
I then tried IOS Car Scanner app and that connects to the device but fails to communicate with the ECU. It seems to try an extensive list of protocols but can't find a suitable one.
I am guessing the scanner is not appropriate, but before I request a return does anyone know anything I can try?

Super Moderator
No experience with that dongle, but iOS devices are picky. Did you try on an android device?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts