Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is on my driveway until Thursday evening.

My wife currently drives a petrol Qashqai which is now one year old and due its first service and we have just had to pay her road tax.

I persuaded her to try a Leaf and look at the current PCP deals. She liked the car enough to take the extended test drive to see she could live with it on the school run and morning commute.

However, her Qashqai is a 360 model so she wants the 360 camera again. It therefore has to be a Tekna if I have any hope of persuading her to change.

So far she likes the smooth and quiet drive and as it is her first automatic is enjoying not having to change gear. Unfortunately she is missing the high driving position and has already commented a few times that its too low.

She worries too much about the battery range at the moment too, but I'm hoping the three days will let her see she doesn't need to worry.

In just over 11 months her Qashqai has only covered 4,150 miles so I know a Leaf will fit her usage perfectly. We shall see how it goes over the next 2 days.

She has a school run in the morning so that should be interesting. :)

A few good comments from the neighbours kids so far (which always helps).

Derek

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Wow! And I thought my wife covered not a lot of miles at 6000 a year ....
I missed the high driving position of my pickup truck when I first swapped back to a car, but you soon get used to it :)
Hope she/you enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Too low??? The seat has a very high seat adjustment... Keep on pulling the handle on the seat until her head touches the roof :) Should be high enough then ;)

·
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Too low??? The seat has a very high seat adjustment... Keep on pulling the handle on the seat until her head touches the roof :) Should be high enough then ;)
She's only 5' 1" & a 1/2 so likes to sit high. She already has the seat pumped up (the sales woman at our dealership is also of similar size) but I'll see if it can go any higher. :D

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I have just been out to pick up my younger daughter from Guides. I really like it!!

Great visibility and plenty enough poke (when you take it out of Eco!).

What I don't like is both my girls saying it makes a cooler noise than my car when it starts up!! :p

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The pre-heat will be a winner if tomorrow morning is like this morning.
I did make a point of mentioning the pre-heat (I used it on my Ampera this morning :)) but don't know how to do it on the Leaf without Carwings?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks,

Derek

·
Registered
731 Posts
You can set it on the headunit press the blue zero emission logo on the lower right of the unit and in that menu there is a climate timer. If it's plugged in it will run for two hours if not its 15 mins. Just a note though if it's not plugged in it can use 5% of battery in 15 mins.

·
Registered
72 Posts
She worries too much about the battery range at the moment too, but I'm hoping the three days will let her see she doesn't need to worry.
My wife used to worry about the range but she soon got over it. She (or my son) charges ours every other day sometimes.
20141202_152104.jpg

·
Registered
245 Posts
I use the pre-heater and is ideal for a morning like this morning -1C and you can jump in and go while all other ICE cars are ICE'd up. Do be careful of the battery though, it has battered my range this morning due to keeping the heater on auto all the way to work (25 miles). May need to top up on the way back :(

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, thanks for the tips on the timer.

The car was left plugged in overnight and was fully charged this morning. I therefore set the timer for my wife's departure time of 08:20 and saved that for today and tomorrow. It did not seem to have worked though?

Is there another step I maybe missed? To set a start time perhaps?

Thanks
Derek

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is there another step I maybe missed? To set a start time perhaps?
If the timer is set correctly an amber light will illuminate just above the "auto" button on the AC controls. Also, when you switch the car off the dash display behind the steering wheel will show if any timers are set, on or off. Make sure you set the climate control timer to have priority.

20141203_133517.jpg
20141203_133537.jpg

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Excellent, thanks Mark. I'll try that this evening so it's toasty for her tomorrow morning :D

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I thought I should update on my wife's 3 day test drive of the Nissan Leaf.

She took the car back last Thursday and picked up her newly serviced and valeted Qashqai.

Her verdict was she really liked the way the LEAF drove and definitely wants an automatic for her next car. However she simply could not live with being back "down low" in a car with a "normal" driving position.

Other negatives, after her father got in her head, was range anxiety although it would not have been a deal breaker, just a negative thought her dad left her with. Interestingly he used the tack of turning up at a charger and needing to wait as someone else might be charging rather than not having anywhere to charge.

Basically, I need an Qashqai EV!!

One other negative, from my point of view, was she thinks she won't mind driving my car now......:eek:

Oh, well, we'll stick with her petrol Qashqai for now.

Derek

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Our local dealer, where we bought our Qashqai last year, suggested we did not need the full 7 days to find out if it would suit us. I think it just allows them to give two test drives a week instead of one but it was fine with us.

Perhaps the full 7 days would have been better though? :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts