Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking supplementing our two large engined ICE cars and getting an EV for all the local runs, shopping, dog walking, golf club etc all which are only 2 or 3 miles.
The Leaf seemed to be the sensible choice and we have seen a nice 2017 30kwh Tekna Leaf which fits our requirements.

However my wife now says she much prefers the looks of the ZOE and the more modern interior.

I am unconvinced the ZOE would be large enough, but we will try one tomorrow to see if our clubs and trolleys will fit.

Question is, which is the better car, more reliable car of the two?

What are the pro and cons of each over the other?

The ZOE seems to have more reliability issues reading each forum on here, or is that not correct.

Thanks for any advice, particularly from anyone who has owned both.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've owned both. Overall I'd say the Leaf is better built and equipped, also a larger size than the Zoe.

Leaf pros (Tekna 30)
  • Heated seats/steering wheel
  • All around camera
  • larger boot
  • fewer squeaks and rattles
  • more interior space
  • 50kw charging (faster than most Zoes at 22kw)

Zoe pros
  • More range (if you go for the 40kwh+)
  • pre-heat from key card.
  • android auto/ apple carplay (from ~2017 onwards)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I own a Zoe, and that decision was largely based on getting a 41kWh model with the 8-year battery warranty. I went with the battery owned model, but that's not really an issue now as you can buy out the battery on a lease model. Just make sure you are getting a good price.

Can't say I like either model looks wise much, but the Zoe is less offensive to me..

Overall had it 2.5yrs now and had no faults and it's been nice to own. Struggle to think of any reason to spend money on changing it and potentially will end up keeping it longer than I intended!

Zoe pros
  • More range (if you go for the 40kwh+)
  • pre-heat from key card.
  • android auto/ apple carplay (from ~2017 onwards)
Possible to activate on any model with the right cable/dongle/software. A guide on here and not hard to do. Took me about 20mins!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
As others here are saying it depends what you're looking for.

You're going to find the LEAF bigger and more solid. It's definitely the better made car and less likely to give you mechanical hassle.

You're going to get more range from a ZE40 Zoe however. And in the long term the Zoe battery will degrade less than the LEAF one thanks to better thermal management (well, more specifically the fact that the LEAF completely lacks this!)

Things like rapid charging will be faster in the LEAF and there will be more places to plug it in for a rapid charge than the Zoe too.

Both have their own pros and cons. But if you ask me I'd say go for the LEAF, though only if the range is easily enough for your needs. Remember that we're in summer now but this range will drop when the temperatures fall and weather worsens. Degradation will also cost you maybe a couple of miles range per year.

If you are going to struggle with the range then Zoe is the answer (if its big enough for your needs)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all your replies.
I should have added that our budget is under £10,000 as it is a 3rd car/hack.
This seems to restrict us to a 2015/16, 30kwh Leaf Tekna or a basic 24kwh ZOE with either owned battery or including buying out the battery, although I have found a nice 2017 Leaf in that budget.
The Leaf seems the better option then, well until HWMBO drives the ZOE today🤔

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Oh, in that case definitely the LEAF if you ask me.

I don't think you have too much to worry about if they have already test drove the LEAF too. The Zoe will feel sluggish in comparison and generally not quite as solid. Inside will feel more basic too.

·
Registered
BMW i3
2,153 Posts
It begs the question, why not ditch one of the ICEs and get an EV with decent range? There's lots of choice now at good prices (I've just got a Kona for £270 per month). I can't imagine the hassle of managing 3 different cars.

Reactions: WithEthyl and 80698

·
Registered
99 Posts
I sold my Zoe and bought a Leaf. It was just much easier to live with with fewer idiosyncrasies: Zero regrets, and I too loved the Zoe looks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It begs the question, why not ditch one of the ICEs and get an EV with decent range? There's lots of choice now at good prices (I've just got a Kona for £270 per month). I can't imagine the hassle of managing 3 different cars.
Simply because my Macan GTS is awesome to drive and takes us down to Southern Spain in the winter with minimal stops and my F-Type is my weekend toy and long term keeper.
The EV would be for local 2-3 mile journeys, wife's shopping trips and taking the dog to the beach all of which happens most days.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,265 Posts
Sounds like its the wife's car, in which case let her pick. Zoe has BMS issues and chocolate suspension, Seats can wear/sag, unfinished boot trim so will get dented scratched up by your clubs/shopping.

The Leaf has questionable final drive gear, they disintegrate, so don't pick one with high-ish miles or that's skipped the gearbox oil change. Batteries age in the Leaf worse than the Zoe? The 30kWh Leaf is the worst one for chargergate, but won't be an issue if you never go anywhere further than 2-3miles I guess.

Both are very similar sized cars when you compare them on paper.

Oh, final thought, don't consider a Zoe with battery hire if you don't like the pain of dealing with RCI.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi - hows the Kona going? - How does it differ from Nero? - I heard from 1 person that the Kona suffers from some weird droning noise from underneath - have u heard / experienced this? - What real range do u get on motorway / overall? thx

·
Registered
BMW i3
2,153 Posts
I should have said, I've just ordered one on lease. Due September.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thought I'd hijack this thread rather than starting a new one if that's ok? My wife and I are looking to replace our 13 year old ICE and would ideally like to go electric. We're looking to pay up to £10k for a used EV and it seems to be between a 2017/2018 Zoe 41kwh or Leaf 30kwh. We mainly do local trips, but every couple of weeks travel to parents (both sets of parents are roughly a 90-100 mile round trip). It looks to me as though the Leaf is better suited, but that sort of longer range seems to be borderline especially when we get into winter. Any thoughts or observations? I would add that we won't take out any finance - personal choice.

I should add that the other option if the range issue is going to cause us problems is to go hybrid or stick to ICE for now.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,461 Posts
Thought I'd hijack this thread rather than starting a new one if that's ok? My wife and I are looking to replace our 13 year old ICE and would ideally like to go electric. We're looking to pay up to £10k for a used EV and it seems to be between a 2017/2018 Zoe 41kwh or Leaf 30kwh. We mainly do local trips, but every couple of weeks travel to parents (both sets of parents are roughly a 90-100 mile round trip). It looks to me as though the Leaf is better suited, but that sort of longer range seems to be borderline especially when we get into winter. Any thoughts or observations? I would add that we won't take out any finance - personal choice.

Zoe 40 range is way better than the Leaf. Worst case Zoe is 130 miles even in winter. Worse case of leaf is sub 100.

Cheap and squeaky Zoe is bang for buck the best range on a modest budget. If you drive at night the headlights are rubbish on the Zoe though. That's its major failing.

If you went the Leaf route I think you'd need to put in a proper charger at both parents or charge on the trip every time as it'd have to be cross country slow trip to get it to do it without charging all year and for the next many years. Leaf is much better built car but lack of battery cooling might be an issue. Battery degradation is also worse so as years pass it would lose more range than the Zoe would.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
409 Posts
Leaf is much better built car but lack of battery cooling might be an issue.
Not for a 100 mile round trip. LEAF battery overheating would only be a problem with more than two rapid charges in a day.
You might be OK with a granny cable at parents if they have a suitable (in both location and wiring quality) power socket.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts

I should add that the other option if the range issue is going to cause us problems is to go hybrid or stick to ICE for now.
If you don't like finance (I'm not sure who does like paying to borrow money...) then it maybe stands to reason that you are against the concept of leasing the battery? A 41kWh Zoe at £10k would certainly be a leased battery model.

You would need to increase to around £14k to get a battery owned model.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tried both and felt the Leaf was far better built, in fact, since buying ours we have hardly been out in the ICE cars, just enjoying the Leaf so much.
It feels really well built, well equipped especially in Tekna form.
I agree with the previous poster, with your budget you will be looking at a battery lease Zoe, which adds more cost.
I did 120 miles on collection with one rapid charge of 30 minutes and had lots of battery reserve.
Drive both, it's really what you both feel about each car, but I would totally recommend an EV having been a previous sceptic, so much that our Macan GTS may well be replaced with another EV😳

Whereabouts are you based?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried both and felt the Leaf was far better built, in fact, since buying ours we have hardly been out in the ICE cars, just enjoying the Leaf so much.
It feels really well built, well equipped especially in Tekna form.
I agree with the previous poster, with your budget you will be looking at a battery lease Zoe, which adds more cost.
I did 120 miles on collection with one rapid charge of 30 minutes and had lots of battery reserve.
Drive both, it's really what you both feel about each car, but I would totally recommend an EV having been a previous sceptic, so much that our Macan GTS may well be replaced with another EV😳

Whereabouts are you based?
There are some Zoes that don't mention specifically whether the battery is leased or owned, so I'll make sure I check.
We're in South Manchester.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,848 Posts
Worth checking out a Kia Soul, certainly should be able to get a decent 2015 model for 10K - 7 year warranty and really reliable, certainly what I would be looking at.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts