Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Exciting Times Ahead
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and ladies. This is a great site to get you started on reading and finding out all you need to know about buying your first EV car. My story started with finding some videos from Grant Thomas and then Ian Sampson. Two great channels to follow and get converted.

After almost watching all the video I jumped to the forums and found speakev. After the videos and ploughing through the forums I decided the Leaf was the car for us. I currently drive a Boxster and love the car. I was finding the last two years I drive my car to clients (80mile trips) and back and forth to work (12 mile). Most of the time I use my bike as the Reading traffic is just nuts now that they decided to work on all the traffic lights and roads at the same time lol.

Also my wife drives around taking the little one to play groups and parks and all the trips are under 60 mile round trips.

So off I went to the WestWay in Basingstoke to collect the Tekna for a 4 day test ride. The Dealer did a good job in explaining to me all the bits around the car and supplied me with a ecotricity card and explained how to use it. We have the Moto services close to us so Rapid chargers both sides in about 8 min drive.

Now on the styling... if Nissan just flatten the lights so it blends into the front it would have looked much better but then again the next model will most likely be restyled.... The inside is awesome. I was expecting cheap look and feel but it was all nice and solid.

Driving.... pulling away I was surprised as the quick pickup and how you don't know that you are going way over the speed limit. Its a super smooth ride, quiet, comfortable and have enough poke off the line to keep a smile on your face. I am impressed. The next day my wife drove the car and she just loved it. Bad points for the wallet.
So the Saturday we went for a long drive and then popped into the rapid charger at the Moto between jct11-12 on the M4. Boom the whole place was packed with cars and we drive right to the front, tap the card and start rapid charging. My wife even said this is easy and had not problems working the machine and the charger plug.

So after looking at the numbers on the Boxster its a no brainer really. Road tax, MOT, Insurance, Fuel and all the other bits. Compared to a car that is fun to drive and not going to cost me that much in charging, no MOT, no road tax and so on.

So we took the Tekna back on sunday. I was trying to get the guy to extend the test drive for another month haha but no luck.
I was so impressed with the drive and the easy of how it is to live with that I placed my order.

To be delivered 9 Sep
- Artic white Acenta plus that now comes standard with the 6.6Kw charger and the extra cable and brick charger. Also the new look 17inch wheels
- I have my zap-map, polar app ready to go
- Waiting for my reg number to apply for the ecotricity card. *anyway of doing this without the reg*

The whole family is excited about the car and I think I can sell this to my neighbours too.

Will keep you all posted on how I get on.

Andre

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Excellent! The multi-day test drive really does make you want to buy one doesn't it? :D

Acenta Plus is nice choice, just be careful with the alloy wheels, try not to damage them as I think they can be a bit pricey to repair. They do look good though :)

Pictures of the car when it arrives please, or no one will ever speak to you again :D

·
Twizyghini
22 Posts
if Nissan just flatten the lights so it blends into the front it would have looked much better
I think I have read somewhere that the lights were designed as such for aerodynamic reasons. I think it was to direct air away from the wing mirrors or something like that. So it was done for a reason.

·
Exciting Times Ahead
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great to know...just a quick question.. is there a way to apply for your ecotricity card without your Reg number?

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Ring them and check. I'm sure if you explain you want it before you collect your car they'd try to help. Saying that, don't you usually find your new reg number a good week or so before collection? I got my Ecotricity card literally by return of post, so you shouldn't worry about it taking weeks to arrive.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Great to know...just a quick question.. is there a way to apply for your ecotricity card without your Reg number?
Put TBC in the reg field. It's not that unusual to require the use of a card and not have your own car. When you eventually get a car, inform them of your reg. No different from selling one car and buying another really.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Could you ask your dealer lend you a card until they give you a Reg no and the time it takes to process?. A good dealer should do this;)

Also remember to check both leads are there when you collect the car. The brick charger seems to take longer to order than the car!

I still have the dealers one after 15 months. (It was new).:rolleyes:

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I ordered my Leaf a couple of weeks ago the dealer applied for the ecotricity card for me, it arrived a few days later.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Salesman at the dealership where I bought my Leaf ordered my Ecotricity Card for me as soon as he had my details.
He told me it was ordered when I picked up the car and it came a few days later.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Yep, @Alec at Wessex Garages did the same for us - he ordered an Ecotricity card for us but it hadn't arrived by the time we picked the car up so he let us use one of theirs.

·
Exciting Times Ahead
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, feedback from the dealer is that they are sorting it out for me. So it should be ready when I pick up the car.

·
Exciting Times Ahead
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I applied for the ecotricity card and I have added TBC in the Reg area and the card arrived today. I was expecting at least a weeks wait. Two days and the card is here. I am impressed

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Told ya. Good init?

They really are that quick in most cases. Their service is the same for the electricity and gas - at least that's what I've found. Oh and they come top for least complained about utility.

·
Exciting Times Ahead
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got my new reg number and they might have the car ready for me this Saturday. Four days early. Just hope it's all ready.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts