Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does any leaf owner know if you can set a hard limit for the 24/30kw to charge only to 80% rather than 100%?

Thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You can set the 24kwh to charge to only 80% and that is very useful when you will not need the full charge on the next day. The 30kwh cannot be set to 80% but you can achieve the same result by setting the starting and ending charge timer. My 30kwh charging on our home charger charges at 14% per hour. It is thus easy to set the time required to achieve 80%.

·
Ev Pioneer Leaf Accenta 24kw Gen 1
156 Posts
On the Leaf 24 you have to set the charging timer start on the display in the car and set the charge to 80% and the days you want this to apply, when you power off the car you will see a message saying charging timer set. If you don't plug the charger in then there won't be any problem, if you do then it won't start charging till the start time and then will charge to 80% and stop. If you want or need to plug in and charge otherwise you then use the timer overide button on the dash which starts charging immediately but will charge then until you stop it or 100%.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you want or need to plug in and charge otherwise you then use the timer overide button on the dash which starts charging immediately but will charge then until you stop it or 100%.
On the Leaf 24 there is a menu setting whereby you can restrict all charging to 80% (at least there was one on my previous 2013 Leaf 24). If you set this it is important to remember because even rapid charges will stop at 80% - and you may not wish this to happen. I was caught out once on a rapid when the charge stopped at 80% because of the menu setting. As far as I can tell there is no similar setting on the Leaf 30.

·
156 Posts
On the Leaf 24 there is a menu setting whereby you can restrict all charging to 80%
Hi, is yours a Gen 1 Jap or a 1.5 Sunderland? Mine is a Gen 1 Jap and I haven't seen this option, my handbook instructs me that the only way to charge to 80% is the timer and I haven't seen another way. There seems to be a big difference between the software on the Jap model vs Sunderland model.

Stephen

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi, is yours a Gen 1 Jap or a 1.5 Sunderland? Mine is a Gen 1 Jap and I haven't seen this option, my handbook instructs me that the only way to charge to 80% is the timer and I haven't seen another way. There seems to be a big difference between the software on the Jap model vs Sunderland model.

Stephen
Mine was a Sunderland model which gave the option to restrict all charging to 80%. As far as I can remember you had to search through the settings menu to find the option to charge to 80%. You also had an option on the charging timer if that was set.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
@Stephen_O

You are correct that you cannot set 80% unless you use the timer on a Gen1. However I have set my timer to last 23hours and 59 minutes. So it starts to charge as soon as I plug in, but only to 80%, if I want 100% I hit the timer over ride.

Now I know people are going to say, you can't use E7 and they are correct; however with my degraded battery it only takes 5 hours to charge from empty, and I now C.A.T.T (charge all the time) because anything less than 80% is a waste of time anyway. I plug in whenever and wherever I can, and always have a charge of 80%, it goes without saying my 80% is only 13.5Kw and I have that misguided warm fuzzy feeling inside that 80% is doing no harm to my already degraded battery.

If I need to go 50+ miles I hit the button or use the app to get to 100% (93.7%) (it takes 1 hour) and I drive off straight away, thats how I manage mine. So far I have been able to go everywhere I want right up to ponteland and down to Essex and everywhere in between. Just don't need to be in a hurry thats all.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

Stephen
Mine is a gen 1 (2011), and it has the 80% charge option, under the charging timer menu.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Stephen_O

You are correct that you cannot set 80% unless you use the timer on a Gen1. However I have set my timer to last 23hours and 59 minutes. So it starts to charge as soon as I plug in, but only to 80%, if I want 100% I hit the timer over ride.

Now I know people are going to say, you can't use E7 and they are correct; however with my degraded battery it only takes 5 hours to charge from empty, and I now C.A.T.T (charge all the time) because anything less than 80% is a waste of time anyway. I plug in whenever and wherever I can, and always have a charge of 80%, it goes without saying my 80% is only 13.5Kw and I have that misguided warm fuzzy feeling inside that 80% is doing no harm to my already degraded battery.

If I need to go 50+ miles I hit the button or use the app to get to 100% (93.7%) (it takes 1 hour) and I drive off straight away, thats how I manage mine. So far I have been able to go everywhere I want right up to ponteland and down to Essex and everywhere in between. Just don't need to be in a hurry thats all.
Hi, thanks for reply.

Can I ask - how many bars display on your leaf?

Is it 24 or 30kw?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have a Gen 1 Leaf 24kw and it's 12 bars
Gen 1 Leaf 24kw and 10 bars here.

I'm amazed there are Gen 1's that still have 12 bars showing. Have you put Leafspy on it to show the exact state of health? I would be intrigued to know the result. What are your charging and usage patterns? Never rapid charge or always rapid charge? Only charge to 80%?

·
156 Posts
Gen 1 Leaf 24kw and 10 bars here.

I'm amazed there are Gen 1's that still have 12 bars showing. Have you put Leafspy on it to show the exact state of health? I would be intrigued to know the result. What are your charging and usage patterns? Never rapid charge or always rapid charge? Only charge to 80%?
The car is 5 years old in June, I bought it last June and the first thing I did after reading the manual on battery advice was to set the timer charge to 80%. I don't have leaf spy so cannot but it on. My original intention was to aim to charge the car every 3 days but despite doing an enormous amount of research I was not prepared for the impact of hills on my commute. During the summer and where possible in the winter I aim to charge every other day to 80%, there is 1 day a week when in addition to normal commuting and shopping I make a 32 mile round on hilly roads which equals a miniumum required range on the GOM of 40-45 miles to get me back home on LBW or VLBW I was almost caught out a few weeks ago when due to icy winds I assume I ended up in Turtle mode. If I think I will need it, I override the timer and allow a 100% charge for this the night before, I also always charge on a Saturday night sometimes to 100% because Sunday is my only non-work day and I like to have maximum range possible. I have in 10 months used 4 rapid chargers - once to 80%, and the other three times just until the GOM shows enough to get me home. My car was supplied only with a granny cable and I only got round to buying a type 1 to 2 cable 2 weeks ago and used it last week on a long distance shopping trip. Daily mileage is 15 for the commute + longer trips the car averages 150 miles a week. The intention buying the car was to replace my clapped out ice and the intention was hp, ins, cost of electric, should be same or less than repairs, petrol, mot, insurance etc and this has been achieved so far. During the winter to allow for traffic congestion I did find myself charging nightly to ensure I had enough in reserve for "issues". There has been a couple of journeys that I have been unable to do in the Leaf because of inadaqueate charging infrastructure and for that my motorbike deputises. I hope this helps. I always have the AC on 20c. I used to control it manually but now leave it on auto as I find that more effective.

·
156 Posts
I forgot to say that during the winter my kw/mile has been between 0.30 and 0.32 at the worst and this last 2 weeks it has improved down to 0.27, during the summer last year I was getting 0.20-0.23 but was experimenting with different driving styles etc getting used to the car. My aim is for that to be lower this year. My cost per mile is 3.2p in the summer/autumn rising to 5.3p during the winter. I have a kw meter on the end of the granny plug.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
@Stephen_O
Not that it matters but if you have a Gen1 Jap leaf - its not an Accenta. Without leaf spy your guessing, the app and web portal do not seem to be that accurate.

·
156 Posts
during the winter my kw/mile has been between 0.30 and 0.32 at the worst and this last 2 weeks it has improved down to 0.27, during the summer last year I was getting 0.20-0.23
This figure is taken from the information display on the dashboard, not from Carwings or the App.

"My cost per mile is 3.2p in the summer/autumn rising to 5.3p during the winter. I have a kw meter on the end of the granny plug."

This figure is taken from an Electric Plug in meter which is plugged in between the Granny Cable and the Socket so I can
see how much power is being drawn to charge the car, this figure is multiplied by my electric unit cost and divided by miles driven to give me the cost per mile.

"the car is not an Accenta" - It does not contain any badge to say it is, but was sold to me as one by the dealer at the time of purchase they had mine and a visia (?) and were due some Teknas but for the price difference I chose the Accenta..

I believe my figures to be accurate, Although I do not calculate from carwings on the occasions that I do look at it the figures their seem to concur and I would be highly suprised if Nissans own reporting software is giving them inaccurate information.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Is the 80% advice even applicable to the 30KwH Leaf? Both charging circuits and battery technology seems to have improved. That might explain why the setting is not present on the 30s

1 - 20 of 38 Posts