Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, dead set on a Leaf now but still finding detailed information hard to come by!
Was in a dealer today who stated that the standard charge point installation is free but for a fast charge point the costs are 'considerable'.
Does anyone know what considerable is?! And would a company like Charging-Solutions make it more viable with a government grant?

What options of different spec chargers are available for the Leaf in Gen 1 and Gen 2 ? as still weighing up whether to spend a few grand more for a Gen 2.
Also, would I be correct to assume that lead length is determined by your exact requirements ?! Ie from point of at your house to where car will be parked.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think that the only charge points you can have installed at home are the standard 16amp 3.5kw which is free or for an additional £95 you can have the 32amp 7kw charger.

·
Super Moderator
6,401 Posts
With Chargemaster the additional cost was £75

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok great, so now the only problems as I see it are :
getting power from our flat, out to a wall mounted charger, and the distance the cable then has to go from wall unit to the car. As I estimate that to be approx 8-10metres. Would someone like charge master come out to do a free site survey and let me know if its possible?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
13 amp is obviously a possibility but would still have the problem of cable length, and would obviously have to be on an extension lead. Also don't like the idea of having a high current draw on house hold socket for long periods and of course the charger would be out side too.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
If you are in a flat then I think you will have many problems doing it legally and safely and keeping the landowner and your fellow flat owners happy and it is very unlikely that you will get the necessary permissions etc.

You cannot/should not run cables across footpaths and places where people have walking/driving access. Do you have your own parking space dedicated and reserved to you only? If not then how would you guarantee to be able to park near the charger? If it is shared parking then be cautious... I have heard of one owner who asked his fellow flat owners if he could install a charger in their parking area and the response he got was that if he did then some of the other owners would always park there to stop him charging! Petty yes, childish yes, ignorant yes, unneighbourly yes... but it happens and you might have a fight on your hands.

You will need the written permission of the owner of the property. That is often very difficult as the owner is often a association of leaseholders or other association. Unfortunately owners are often not interested in doing anything like this as it risks upsetting the other lease holders.

How would you indemnify the owners/other leaseholders if thing go wrong? Very unlikely perhaps but are you willing to take the risk and is that fair on others if you do? I don't suppose normal house insurance would cover it so it would need to be included in the buildings insurance taken out by the building owner... who would pay if that results in higher premiums (unlikely but needs to be considered)?

What would the other flat owners think? Would they be happy with you doing this? You might say it is none of their business but doing anything in communal areas is there business especially if it risks burning their flats down if it is installed incorrectly. I would say that it is very much their business (see above regarding potential unfriendly action from other flat owners).

So, it sounds like I am being totally negative here but not really. I think I am being realistic. Perhaps there are ways to do it I am sure but I have not heard of anyone succeeding in getting charging installed in a community setting like this yet. The challenges are very hard indeed if you want to do it safely and legally and with everyone that is potentially affected on board... but you could always be the first!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All your points are very valid and I know exactly where you are coming from.
Luckily we do have our own reserved space which I can get a cable to without having to go over a walkway so that is the only plus point at the moment!
The only problem as I said is the distance / length the cable would need to be.
I am waiting for our local housing association to get back to me with any info or assistance they can provide but I am not expecting much!

It is a bit of shame that the EV is really only limited to house holds that have a drive / garage as I'm sure that is simply removing approx 20-30%?! of the country from the equation.
People are soon going to realise in the next ten years when the black stuff runs out but what can we mere mortals do?!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
The only problem as I said is the distance / length the cable would need to be.
I'm sure you can find an installer who would allow you to dig your own trench and lay in the main cable... we did this for a charity recently and it took four people a couple of hours :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I really do wish you good luck but it seems you are approaching it with your eyes open.

It is a shame that those without private parking/charging are excluded but I think that will not be resolved until cars are commonplace with 250+ miles range and widespread rapid charging. There are people that only rapid charge and don't charge at home and it is working for them. What it will take is everyone to be in easy range ( < 10 miles) of a rapid charging station and cars to have a real-world range of 250+ miles. Then it will be just like owneing an ICE today. Until then it will be a challenge IMO.

·
Registered
394 Posts
There are people that only rapid charge and don't charge at home and it is working for them.
Without wanting to get too far off topic, I've heard this before (and the guy who's done 50k purely off rapid charging) and I wonder how anyone can make that work with a normal daily routine ?

30 mins a day waiting around a service station ? Surely not ? Even if you make it part of your routine (like going there to get your lunch) there must be days where you can't access the charger ?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
30 mins a day waiting around a service station ? Surely not ? Even if you make it part of your routine (like going there to get your lunch) there must be days where you can't access the charger ?
Agreed and this is something I would never do... my time is important to me!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
It isn't something I would consider either and that is why we need solutions that work for everyone.

In the long-term I see no alternative at the moment to the mainstay of charging away from home being via rapid charging at dedicated charging stations similar to petrol stations of today and similar to the charging stations from Tesla. Until we have that in place, and cars that have 250+ mile range, making an EV work for you if you don't have private charging will be a challenge and may be almost impossible in many cases.

That is a shame of course for those people in the short-term and totally unacceptable in the long-term and that is why I would rather see money spent on the long-term solutions rather than trying to put in place short-term solutions that often don't properly work and cost lots of money. The sooner we have solutions that allow everyone to own an EV the better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On another note about constantly using rapid chargers am I right in saying that this will degrade the battery packs quicker than if you used a lower ampage slow charge ? Obviously until we have EV's that are 5-6 years old we're not going to know ?!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
On another note about constantly using rapid chargers am I right in saying that this will degrade the battery packs quicker than if you used a lower ampage slow charge ? Obviously until we have EV's that are 5-6 years old we're not going to know ?!
Not significantly. The advice 3 years ago was try not to rapid charge too often but evidence is showing that it makes little significant difference.

The official advice from Nissan is if you do no more than 1 a day on average you will be fine. That is on average... Not limited to 1 a day. I have done 270 now in 3 years and have just 5% reduction so all going well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts