Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My first post, so be gentle.
I have a 2014 LEAF 24 Tekna @ 28000 miles and changed the tyres about a month ago. It had Dunlop Econosaves which were wearing on the offside outer edges and, with the MOT looming, I thought it a good idea to replace them. After a deal of research (and Kwik Fit having them on offer) I decided to bite the bullet and go for a set of Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 215/50 R17 91V. I have to say that they are generally quieter than the Dunlops except that there is now a noticable rythmic resonance that sets up between 47-51 mph..!
I watched the tyres being fitted and all were balanced, wheel nuts torqued up and finally the aligment was checked & adjusted on their Hunter digital aligment equipment.
There seems to be no problem with the cars driveability ie. no vibration at the steering wheel, it doesn't wander or pull to one side under braking and the pressures are all at 36 psi.
All suggestions (except turning the radio up) gratefully received...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
When the tyres are unevenly worn that is sign that the wheel need aligned.
This usually is a result of potholes and parking cowboy style by mounting the kerbs.
Kwik fit should have advised you to do it.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,597 Posts
When the tyres are unevenly worn that is sign that the wheel need aligned.
This usually is a result of potholes and parking cowboy style by mounting the kerbs.
Kwik fit should have advised you to do it.
OP already said that Kwik Fit checked the alignment on the Hunter 4 wheel tracking equipment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update...
Went back to Kwik Fit who, after a test drive, agreed there is a problem. After raising the car and rechecking the installation plus things like wheel bearings etc, they could offer no reason for it.
I've just sent an email to Good Year UK asking for their opinion.
Interestingly, there's a guy on YouTube (EV Opinion) who talks about these tyres and, in one of the comments, someone has replaced both Dunlop front tyres with these and has experienced resonance problems..!
How spooky is that?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I have been using the same tyre (same everything: tyre size, make and model, same car, same year) for the last year without any problem.

Doesn't rule out possibility of a dud tyre though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi jwilf
Sorry to hear you have the same problem but at least I know I'm not alone..!
No, it's not sorted yet. After several emails to Goodyear Tyres UK, their Technical Customer Support & Service, Senior Adviser phoned me. We had a 20 minute conversation about what might be causing it - with him going into the technicalities of tyre construction and wheel alignment etc. I have to say that he wasn't dismissive and appeared to be trying to help. The upshot is that an independent balance and alignment check is recommended, which I will be looking to do shortly after Xmas. During the call, he did mention that, if all else fails, they have a limited warranty scheme - which I'll be investigating if the independent check doesn't fix the problem!
If you want to register your displeasure with GY, they're at: [email protected] or 08453 453453 option 3
Good luck and have a great Christmas.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks @tugwash - I did a bit more research last night after reading your reply. First I googled for this problem with the Efficientgrip tyres and found several discussions on various forums with people complaining of the same thing. But then, wary of confirmation bias I googled for this problem with other tyre brands. My conclusion was that this is a fairly common problem that can actually affect any brand of tyre.

After some more research I found some people saying the solution is a machine called the Hunter Roadforce balancing machine. This is like a normal tyre balancing machine but it also has a roller which presses against the tyre to simulate the force of the road against the tyre. It can detect balancing issues that are not detected with a normal wheel balancing, caused by mounting issues or differences in the stiffness of the tyre around its circumference.

Check out this discussion - https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1511607

It mentions this site which can find you a garage which has this machine - http://www.balancemycar.co.uk/

I found that there's one in Twickenham which is only half an hour away from me. So I'm going to book it in there after Christmas and see what they can do.

Cheers and Merry Christmas! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi jwilf
Thanks for the reply.
That's the best news I've heard since they were fitted and, even better, the closest tyre company with one of these machines is only a mile away - what are the chances of that? So, straight after Xmas, I'll go and see what's to be done and let you know what happens.
Thanks again and here's hoping we both have a good Christmas AND a resonance free New Year..!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have same issue for about three months. Had balancing done to no affect (by some dubious looking fellows). Same age leaf so maybe degrading shocks/mounts contributing to the issue?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Ryan,
Thanks for the post. Until jwilf and you replied, I was beginning to think I was alone with this problem!
I'm sincerely hoping that getting the wheels re-checked on the specific Hunter balancing machine will fix the problem.
You could have a point about the shocks but the car's been recently MOT'd with no advisories.
I'll update as soon as it's been done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts