Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My first post, so be gentle.
I have a 2014 LEAF 24 Tekna @ 28000 miles and changed the tyres about a month ago. It had Dunlop Econosaves which were wearing on the offside outer edges and, with the MOT looming, I thought it a good idea to replace them. After a deal of research (and Kwik Fit having them on offer) I decided to bite the bullet and go for a set of Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 215/50 R17 91V. I have to say that they are generally quieter than the Dunlops except that there is now a noticable rythmic resonance that sets up between 47-51 mph..!
I watched the tyres being fitted and all were balanced, wheel nuts torqued up and finally the aligment was checked & adjusted on their Hunter digital aligment equipment.
There seems to be no problem with the cars driveability ie. no vibration at the steering wheel, it doesn't wander or pull to one side under braking and the pressures are all at 36 psi.
All suggestions (except turning the radio up) gratefully received...

·
The best there is at what I do
10,483 Posts
When the tyres are unevenly worn that is sign that the wheel need aligned.
This usually is a result of potholes and parking cowboy style by mounting the kerbs.
Kwik fit should have advised you to do it.
OP already said that Kwik Fit checked the alignment on the Hunter 4 wheel tracking equipment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update...
Went back to Kwik Fit who, after a test drive, agreed there is a problem. After raising the car and rechecking the installation plus things like wheel bearings etc, they could offer no reason for it.
I've just sent an email to Good Year UK asking for their opinion.
Interestingly, there's a guy on YouTube (EV Opinion) who talks about these tyres and, in one of the comments, someone has replaced both Dunlop front tyres with these and has experienced resonance problems..!
How spooky is that?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have been using the same tyre (same everything: tyre size, make and model, same car, same year) for the last year without any problem.

Doesn't rule out possibility of a dud tyre though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
wyx087
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing