Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that some Leaf owners have been experiencing a problem with their satnav randomly turning on and off for the last month or so.

I was contacted today by some media people who are researching the story. I told them what I knew about the problem based on my conversations with Leaf owners and some online research that I've undertaken. They asked if I would put them in contact with Leaf drivers experiencing the problem... if that's you and you want to get involved then please put your hand up in this thread and they'll contact you using the details in your Speak EV profile.

Many thanks :)

Edit: following a comment on twitter I should make it clear that the story did not reach the press via me... AFAIK a Leaf Driver contacted them.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Well I thought that this issue was only affecting Mk2 Leafs but today it happened to me.

The satnav turned off and reset itself as if it had just been turned on... like a reboot... not just once but it started doing it about every minute or two!!! After about 6 or 7 times I decided to stop in a layby, shutdown the car, lock it and start up again. That solved it and it ididn't happen again.

I cannot think of any reason why it should suddenly start doing it. I had previously driven about 200 miles today and rapid charged several times but it suddenly started on my final leg.

I shall be reporting to Nissan tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
had this happen a few times now. It doesn't really bother me, but at the same time, it is a PITA, especially when I've got my ipod hooked up and I'm air-drumming to soundgarden or something.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Called my dealer. I booked it in for next week for them to assess. They can look at error codes etc and report back to Nissan. They have one other car with this issue and they are replacing the whole satnav/entertainment system. It is a single unit apparently.

Nissn say it is a problem with the TMC... whatever that is!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yes mine is a Gen2 and rebooting. The TMC is the Trafficmaster radio Traffic announcement data system. Its area and time dependant so sporadic in nature as to when it happens. It's definitely a pita as cjm said.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'm also getting my bluetooth Nexus 4 phone disconnecting after about 2 minutes when talking then repeadetly after that. Thought it was and may still be an Android 4.4 KitKat issue and v4.4.2 was released last night and still the same disconnecting issue. I think it's the TMS cutting in similar to the sat nav, but can not rule the Android issue out so will try to connect the wifes android samsung galaxy fame phone with v4.2.2 to see what happens?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Just read that this latest KitKat bluetooth issue is being caused by the WiFi searching mode. I will turn the WiFi off the next time making a call via the bluetooth and car.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
WiFi off when Bluetooth enabled stops the phone calls from cutting out. Was recommended Trigger app where it auto enables\disables devices via rules, so WiFi turns off when Bluetooth to Leaf is connected and vice versa. :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
My Mark 2 Leaf Tekna had this problem when the cold weather first hit in November. During the first four or five miles the whole navigation/audio system would reboot several times. The Nissan dealer at Ilkeston was unable to find anything wrong and the problem continued for a week or two after their troubleshooting efforts, and then it stopped, and it hasn't happened again since. I'd guess it is a Telematics software bug.

·
Registered
397 Posts
@Paul_Churchley, Hi Paul TMC (cannot remember right now what the abbreviation stands for) is used to download traffic information from a radio station such that the SatNav can route around issues. In the Ampera it gives a 5 mile warning of an issue. On the Ampera with the SatNav on on the left there is a little button three horizontal lines in a circle IIRC if you tap that and scroll down you will see the TMS option tap the screen and you will see what it is all about. You can tap an entry for more info and then again for even more. The Icons show up on the map if you have them all enabled.

I hope that helps

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay

·
Registered
397 Posts
@Paul_Churchley

RDS-TMC = Radio Data System Traffic Message Channel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts