Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, has anyone had their Leaf serviced at an independent garage, I had been using Nissan but now find that its £150 up from £99 which feels excessive give they have very little to do. My car is a 2013 leaf 24 so not too concerned to maintain a Nissan service history if they are happy to over charge for what is a simple service.

any down sides I had not considered?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Bear in mind that when a Leaf is serviced by a Nissan the price includes 12 months breakdown cover.
That for me is reason enough to stick with Nissan for servicing.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
And recovery if you run flat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Considering the state my leaf was in when my local 'dealer' allowed it to leave their forecourt, I wouldn't trust them with a Tonka Toy. I'm certainly never buying another Nissan, not from that dealer anyway.

I'm hoping that Toyota have a proper EV by the time I decide to change cars again, their dealer is right next to the Nissan dealer but miles ahead in the customer service game!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I am with AutoAid for my other car, but they insure the person and your spouse. I Emailed them and they confirmed you get same level of cover as ICE cars, which includes cover for running out of charge.

Without Nissan recovery adding any value, I feel main dealer service is a complete rip off.

What you can do is visit garages working with HEVRA for EV service.

Or DIY. MOT checks safety components including suspension and brake. When you drop off the car, you can try asking for more critical review of components reported to you. Then, you only need to DIY cabin filter and brake fluid change every 2 years.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Where did you get a quote for £150? I called 4 dealers in the north west and they all quoted £209 for a pollen filter and brake fluid change. It’s a bit of a hike since £99. 2 of them said the price “was fixed by Nissan”

·
Registered
25 Posts
Where did you get a quote for £150? I called 4 dealers in the north west and they all quoted £209 for a pollen filter and brake fluid change. It’s a bit of a hike since £99. 2 of them said the price “was fixed by Nissan”
Nissan dealers have fixed prices - £159 for a minor service, £209 for a major service. Pollen filter is part of the minor service, brake fluid is in the major service.
See website: https://www.nissan.co.uk/ownership/nissan-services/service-care.html
Scroll down to the table "car servicing options"

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Gosh, it's increasing quickly.

In 2016 it was £99
In 2018 it was £149
Now it is £159.

1 year 6.7% inflation, Nissan are masters at economics!

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is my first service with Nissan as I bought the car a month ago, I'll be looking elsewhere for the future once I'm out of warranty. Breakdown cover by autoaid covers me already. Alternatively I'll just service it myself and have a major service biannually.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Considering that when you use Nissan for servicing you will get:
12 months RAC breakdown cover
free software updates
1 free car wash

I would be struggling to use an independent garage...
Is it actually breakdown cover, or cover for if you run out of charge?
Will they still help if I have a flat tyre?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it actually breakdown cover, or cover for if you run out of charge?
Will they still help if I have a flat tyre?
I had a flat tyre two weeks age and called Nissan recovery, they arrange a flatbed from Manchester to Shropshire where I live. I think Nissan services include breakdown is value for money. One thing
I'm still not sure is if I involved in an accident, will Nissan cover that as well.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I had a flat tyre two weeks age and called Nissan recovery, they arrange a flatbed from Manchester to Shropshire where I live. I think Nissan services include breakdown is value for money. One thing
I'm still not sure is if I involved in an accident, will Nissan cover that as well.
Wouldn't your insurance cover recovery in case of an accident?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Good to know.

I imagine if its anything like the AA, they will come to you in an accident, but it will be chargeable, for you to claim back off the insurance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had my 2015 Leaf serviced by my local Bosch garage (major service with break fluid). As I have breakdown cover anyway I don’t need the Nissan breakdown cover.
Incl MOT it was less than £150.
They said it only their second electric car they had in but they have the equipment and the training.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts