Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Leaf 24 and its a 64 plate. Since the car is quite old now, is it still worth getting it serviced by Nissan? Since there is no more warranty left, would kiwkfit do for servicing instead or the garage will need special 'EV' tools to perform the service? Also my local Nissan garage has closed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
The dealer service usually comes with 12 months full roadside assistance cover. Some other garages do offer this, if it's important to you.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Simply look at the service book and decide what servicing is required, and frequently the answer is none, beyond occasional brake fluid change. Servicing of many cars is oil, oil filter and air filter with various checks and odd items like cam belts. List what is required and then decide.

I have used our Kwikfit and they are very reliable for standard items.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The dealer service usually comes with 12 months full roadside assistance cover. Some other garages do offer this, if it's important to you.
Yes and they charge the battery sometimes too...
I have to say I did get mine dealer serviced end of last year. I didn’t think it was particularly good value but it wasn’t expensive. It was supposed to have a video health check, I asked to see the video and they mysteriously developed some network issues. They did take care of the earth bond recall.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know but dont really need the full roadside assistance cover.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes and they charge the battery sometimes too...
I have to say I did get mine dealer serviced end of last year. I didn’t think it was particularly good value but it wasn’t expensive. It was supposed to have a video health check, I asked to see the video and they mysteriously developed some network issues. They did take care of the earth bond recall.
I presume taking to dealer will mean any recall work would be done if outstanding.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,697 Posts
There's nothing obligating you to take the car to a main dealer to be serviced every year. However it would be silly not to maintain the car properly!

Many of the big chains will refuse to service electric vehicles because they aren't forward thinking enough to get their technicians trained on High Voltage electrics. You're generally limited to HV qualified engineers.

HEVRA maintain a database of these, but to be frank none of them have ever managed to quote me the same or less than a main dealer service - and as the main dealer service comes with included breakdown cover, I've always just gone there.

Reactions: Scorzon

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have had my leaf serviced by Nissan for each service (3) and had the MOT done at my local tyre centre does exhaust,brakes, suspension and oil change etc.
Passed MOT no problem but said they did not service ev's, head office diktat.
Will get it serviced next year at Nissan will bend over and take it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What puzzles me on this is that for the basic service you don't actually touch the HV side, you leave it well alone. In fact, the service on a Leaf consists mostly of checking the things the MOT checks, swapping the wheels around and changing the pollen filter (oh and every other year changing the brake fluid whether it needs it or not). As long as you understand that you "don't touch the orange bits" there is no reason why anyone couldn't service one. The only thing the Nissan service gives you is the battery print out which though useless in itself, is needed for the 7 year battery warranty.

·
2,697 Posts
What puzzles me on this is that for the basic service you don't actually touch the HV side, you leave it well alone. In fact, the service on a Leaf consists mostly of checking the things the MOT checks, swapping the wheels around and changing the pollen filter (oh and every other year changing the brake fluid whether it needs it or not). As long as you understand that you "don't touch the orange bits" there is no reason why anyone couldn't service one. The only thing the Nissan service gives you is the battery print out which though useless in itself, is needed for the 7 year battery warranty.
I don't think that's the problem though. The problem is that if something turns out to be wrong or need sorting on the HV, an unqualified person can't fix it. Your average customer is gonna be pretty pissed off with that. It's not worth the hassle for these places - there aren't yet enough EVs on the road...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
There really isnt anything to "service"....

Change the pollen filter and give it all a good look over perhaps? MOT check covers most of that. If you want to do the brake fluid then sure, but i've never changed it all that frequently on the older cars i've run, perhaps every 3 or 4 years. Certainly nothing a standard garage cant deal with for anything that comes under a "service".

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf Accenta 30kWh, 3.3kW, 2017
6 Posts
The only thing the Nissan service gives you is the battery print out which though useless in itself, is needed for the 7 year battery warranty.
I am guessing then since I have a Leaf 30 which is 8 years' battery warranty (I think?), then I am going to have to stick with the dealer services for some time yet to "maintain" that?

·
2,697 Posts
I am guessing then since I have a Leaf 30 which is 8 years' battery warranty (I think?), then I am going to have to stick with the dealer services for some time yet to "maintain" that?
I don't think they're allowed to require it to be a Nissan main dealer, but they are allowed to require it to be a suitably qualified professional - of which there are very few outside of main dealers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
KwikFit declined to even do the tracking on my Prius due to its HV components. Maybe they have changed policy more recently, That was >5 years ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts