Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Leaf Tekna
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any clear explanations on interpreting the data on the charge graph of Leaf Spy - what the red/green/magenta/black curves mean?

·
Registered
728 Posts
They are what they say they are...

Green is power going into battery (V x I)

Red is %SOC which is calculated / estimated in some way by the battery management system. Typ 97% at full on my car.

Purple is the % of MAX GIDs set on LeafSpy.

GIDs are the units the battery estimates it's useable capacity from. It's not a Nissan named unit but something from the guys who reverse engineered the CanBus data to create LeafSpy. The usual assumption is that 1GID = 77.5Wh. Your %Gids figures seem very low - is it a very depleted battery or have you played with the MAX GIDs setting?

Black relates to battery temperature, but has never trended as a true unit for me. In your case it says 102.9 at the top of the screen (presumably F, which is 39.4C) but the trend reads as just over 34 against the left scale or just over 68 against the right scale...

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Leaf Tekna
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - which implies the charging shown was a rapid charge (which I haven’t done so far). I have done some granny cable charges - presumably not recorded. Does this page need resetting after every charge?

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Leaf Tekna
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The summary suggests the the GIDS are normal (current battery level less than half charged) , so not sure what the black line is
means

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Leaf Tekna
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After playing with LeafSpy a bit, and watching some YouTube videos, it dawned on me that the Charge graph that comes up (which I posted above) is just a sample provided by LeafSpy, and exists as a csv file. Almost every YouTube video about LeafSpy shows the same Charge graph image!
I guess I have to leave the dongle in and the app connected during a charging session to collect the charging data. Not sure I’d bother with that ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts