Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dash % this morning was 100%, on Leaf spy both soc and gids% shows 96%.. so which one do I trust?! I thought usually it was the other way round... Issue comes when I'm down to my last percent of course!

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
LeafSpy has other benefits - it will show weak cells, which in your case was highly likely. It would also have flagged up if you had a 24kWh, and a gross error (e.g. showing only 23kWh usable) would have also been useful to see.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LeafSpy has other benefits - it will show weak cells, which in your case was highly likely. It would also have flagged up if you had a 24kWh, and a gross error (e.g. showing only 23kWh usable) would have also been useful to see.
Ah! So the cells have suddenly corrected now u think? Why wud this happen and will it recur u think? Or is it the temperature.. and will go back to giving me s--- mileage tomorrow when cold again.. can't believe I'm saying it's warm at 5degrees!!

·
Super Moderator
7,283 Posts
The dash shows you the usable % remaining, leafspy shows the true chargevlevel of the battery, which is never totally full or totally empty. That means when usable is at 100% the true soc is only about 95% (or sometimes, when it's super cold or you charged from already a high charge level, as low as 88% in mine!)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I
The dash shows you the usable % remaining, leafspy shows the true chargevlevel of the battery, which is never totally full or totally empty. That means when usable is at 100% the true soc is only about 95% (or sometimes, when it's super cold or you charged from already a high charge level, as low as 88% in mine!)
interesting.. I thought it was the other way round... so dash is more reliable?what about the gids thingy.. which one wud u rely on in LnD situation?!

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,654 Posts
I
interesting.. I thought it was the other way round... so dash is more reliable?what about the gids thingy.. which one wud u rely on in LnD situation?!
The dash is always more reliable, because that's telling you what the battery management system is willing to give you in order to best preserve the longevity of the battery.

Leaf spy tells you the 'real' state of the battery charge, but you will never be allowed to use the entire battery by the car. The reserves kept at the top and bottom of the battery charge will be varied by the BMS based on a multitude of variables, so if you only work off that and are constantly running the battery low you can't be sure when the car will say no.

Always go with the dash! That's what the car is working with...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts