Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a look but I can't see anything that gives the benefits over the free version.

What other information does it provide ? Is it worth buying ?

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,649 Posts
No. I didn't see any benefit over the free version and I hate the use of the authors 'ego trip', non standard 'GID' as totally useless measurement of charge.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
The main things Pro gives you are logging and the ability to change some of the car's settings like the door automatic locking function. Something about rotating the tyres too.

I though GIDs were the Nissan units that the BMS uses internally.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
2,370 Posts
In my view if you are paying out for a OBD2 Dongle, then you might as well pay out a bit more for LEAFSPY PRO - I find it really useful when on a run - it tells me exactly how much battery capacity remains. This enables me to make a judgement to precisely how much range is left and when to recharge the battery.

There are many other uses which makes it a worth while purchase, but it really depends on an individual personal judgement as to whether the cost out weighs benefits.

This video might help to make an informed choice also I have put together a PDF that sets out how to use LEAFSPY PRO and how to interpret the readings.

Leaf Spy Lite vs Pro | What is Leaf Spy | How-To Use It

Attachments

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,649 Posts
The main things Pro gives you are logging and the ability to change some of the car's settings like the door automatic locking function. Something about rotating the tyres too.

I though GIDs were the Nissan units that the BMS uses internally.
No. Just adds an unnecessary & in my opinion, pretty useless parameter:

Leaf Spy reports the capacity of the traction battery in Gids, a unit named after Gary Giddings, the first person to penetrate the Nissan Leaf's on board diagnostic system. Typically, there are 281 Gids of capacity in a fully charged car at standard temperature. New 2015 Nissan Leafs often contain 291 Gids.8 Dec 2015

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,649 Posts
In my view if you are paying out for a OBD2 Dongle, then you might as well pay out a bit more for LEAFSPY PRO - I find it really useful when on a run - it tells me exactly how much battery capacity remains. This enables me to make a judgement to precisely how much range is left and when to recharge the battery.

There are many other uses which makes it a worth while purchase, but it really depends on an individual personal judgement as to whether the cost out weighs benefits.

This video might help to make an informed choice also I have put together a PDF that sets out how to use LEAFSPY PRO and how to interpret the readings.

Leaf Spy Lite vs Pro | What is Leaf Spy | How-To Use It

The thing is, the battery option is not 62kw but 60, so does this mean incorrect readings if Leaf Spy calculates SOC etc using the incorrect battery capacity?
This might explain why it always reports a lower SOC than the dash and Nissan app.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The name Gid may not be by Nissan, but it does seem to be the count the Leaf uses internally for its capacity functions...

It is a lot more use in a 24 than a 62. You can't drive to zero Gids, as the car cuts out on lowest voltage cell, but at least you can get data after the 24 displays switch to ---.

Car displays %Gids not the %SOC of leaf spy. 100% Gids value of leafspy can be set in config. 100% gids of car is nominally the current max Gid capacity, which reduces with age.

I have always ignored the car GOM. When my 24 was younger I used to estimate range from the car % charge indicator, but as the battery aged my simple 4/5's rule +5% margin got less accurate. I ended up switching to Leafspy on my phone in a wireless dock and using a fixed m/kWh figure and the range to 5% in Leafspy. Less thinking required...

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Leafspy pro gives the ability to read and clear fault codes and check the firmware version of ECU's - this alone makes it worth the purchase.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,649 Posts
Leafspy pro gives the ability to read and clear fault codes - this alone makes it worth the purchase.
Yes if you have a clapped out old Leaf you might need it ;)
My year old one doesn't do fault codes.:LOL:

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,649 Posts
One feature (in the free version as well) is the number of charges - QC = rapid charges, L1/L2 = 3 and 7kw charges.
Could be useful if buying a used Leaf as you will know whether the owner has mainly used rapid chargers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One feature (in the free version as well) is the number of charges - QC = rapid charges, L1/L2 = 3 and 7kw charges.
Could be useful if buying a used Leaf as you will know whether the owner has mainly used rapid chargers.
I think as well it could show how often its been put on a charger, so if it is 2500 charges but only done 30000 miles this works out as an average of 12 miles then charged.. not great for battery life.

Is there any way to see an actual total time of charge?

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,649 Posts
The highest L1/L2 charges on here was about 1100 over the same number of days. Conclusion: it was plugged in at home every night. The QCs were very low, about 35 I think which were for long journeys, eg holidays.

The good news was the SOH which was above average so you could perhaps have a guess that the daily charges kept the battery between 20 and 80%.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Is plugging it in every day that bad if the charge level is limited to 80%?

Ah, well, they did remove the 80% charge setting on later Leafs...

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I think as well it could show how often its been put on a charger, so if it is 2500 charges but only done 30000 miles this works out as an average of 12 miles then charged.. not great for battery life.
Careful making assumptions like this. The charge counter is incremented twice if you have the car's charge timer enabled - once when you plug the car in, and again when it actually does start charging, doubling the apparent number of charges figure.

If you use an external EVSE timer in combination with the cars built in timer - as I do to approximate an 80% charge, it can get even worse. My single nightly charging session gets counted as 3 charging sessions by the counter shown in Leafspy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts