Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First reading from Leaf Spy (just the Lite for now as wanted to check the new dongle worked and havent worked out if we want to buy the standard or the Pro version)
2017 30kW Acenta
Other than the SOH and SOC I'm not sure I understand most of it- does this look ok? Is the short blue bar one failed cell? Do I need to do anything re this? Presumably as the overall battery is in good health the battery warranty wouldnt cover this?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,237 Posts
Yes the battery warranty should cover this. Look at the test @Layzee mentioned in a post few months ago.

It is however a hassle (and takes days if not weeks) and unless it's a great deal, I'd say walk away and find something else

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar experience as yourself as a newbie using Leaf Spy Lite. On my first two visits to our local Nissan dealer, to buy a 2016 24kWh Leaf model, I discovered exactly the same problem. I made the rookie mistake of being drawn to very low mileage vehicles (1500 and 6200 miles) and both vehicles showed the same problem with one cell being significantly out-of-balance voltage compared to all the others (about 60 & 80mV lower). The cars were otherwise mechanically immaculate, but it would seem that infrequent use is not good for battery condition as you don't know what state they've been stored at between use. As I can only afford the 24Kwh model, with shorter warranty, I wanted to ensure I'm buying a half-decent battery that'll last a bit longer.

Today I finally purchased a 66 plate Leaf with 15000 miles and although showing a bit more wear & tear, it had a much healthier battery (97.5 SoH and well-balanced cells with only 8mV-12mV difference).

I'd follow the sage advice of experienced owners on this site - as I did. Don't jump in at the first opportunity and use Leaf Spy to winkle out potentially problematic batteries. As the guys advised, you might eventually get the cells to balance better over time and a lot of charge/discharge cycles, but if not then you're left with the risk of a reduction in range and a hassle to convince Nissan of triggering the threshold for a warranty claim. (Follow the thread pointed out by Hermit Dave as a good example!)

Incidentally, on my third visit to the dealer today, the salesman insisted on their master technician being present to supervise my use of the Leaf Spy app and the Sales Manager was curious to know more about what this "Leaf Spy thing" is showing about his fleet of used vehicles! I detect a certain nervousness that the use of Leaf Spy on the dealer's forecourt is undermining their sanitised battery health reports.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately this is our car- not a car we are looking to buy. However it is within 30 days of purchase from Nissan so should be covered by their guarantee, but I guess looking at other threads it depends if they agree this is an issue that needs fixing or if they shrug and try to ignore it

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Unfortunately this is our car- not a car we are looking to buy. However it is within 30 days of purchase from Nissan so should be covered by their guarantee, but I guess looking at other threads it depends if they agree this is an issue that needs fixing or if they shrug and try to ignore it

Look at the test the poster requested here.

I think at current state of play, you might struggle to get 50 miles out of the car in fully charged state.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not too sure yet whether we need to be worried about the range, we have only done two longer journeys in it, and in both we managed more than 50.
We drove 63 miles yesterday between charges yesterday, started at 100% and were at about 25% when we stopped to recharge I think. Similar on the way back, I think we went from 90% . In total we drove 180 miles round trip with a rapid charge back to about 90% each way and a granny charge in the middle for about 4 hours
The only other long journey we have done was two weeks ago when154 round trip, were on the intital journey we did 65 miles before charging. We started at 100% and I'm not sure the SOC when we charged but at this point the GOM said 18 miles remaining. For that journey the GOM (which I now understand is to be pretty much ignored) said 119 when fully charged but dropped down quickly over the drive (ie dropped 101 miles for the 65 we drove). I did ask on here then and I got lots of helpful advice re how to improve my range and ignore GOM but i think the consensus was generally I didnt need to be too worried about that range during winter (UK).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I think I will be calling Nissan on Mondat to ask for the CVLI test, and I've downloaded the maintenance manual mentioned. Im just not sure if they will see it as a problem if the range doesnt seem to be

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I'm not too sure yet whether we need to be worried about the range, we have only done two longer journeys in it, and in both we managed more than 50.
We drove 63 miles yesterday between charges yesterday, started at 100% and were at about 25% when we stopped to recharge I think. Similar on the way back, I think we went from 90% . In total we drove 180 miles round trip with a rapid charge back to about 90% each way and a granny charge in the middle for about 4 hours
The only other long journey we have done was two weeks ago when154 round trip, were on the intital journey we did 65 miles before charging. We started at 100% and I'm not sure the SOC when we charged but at this point the GOM said 18 miles remaining. For that journey the GOM (which I now understand is to be pretty much ignored) said 119 when fully charged but dropped down quickly over the drive (ie dropped 101 miles for the 65 we drove). I did ask on here then and I got lots of helpful advice re how to improve my range and ignore GOM but i think the consensus was generally I didnt need to be too worried about that range during winter (UK).
A range depends so much on so many factors, it's hard to tell.

I would get that 110mV difference looked at and get them to fix it

- Leaf 30 kWh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts