Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering if anyone knew if my leaf spy readings are right. This a 100% charge my stats are 94.6soc 241gids 18.7kwh remain hope someone can help. My car is a 2012 and has 11350 miles on it

·
Super Moderator
7,576 Posts
Sounds as though you have about 14% capacity loss based on the number of gids, although the "Ah" reading from leaf spy would say for sure. I'd characterise that as a little high for a car of that age, but the miles are pretty low. Was it an ex demonstrator?

·
Super Moderator
7,576 Posts
Ok, it would have had 66ah when it was new, so has lost about 14% capacity. Running the car down to "turtle" (driving beyond the Low Battery Warning and then the Very Low Battery Warning until you get to reduced power moder with a turtle symbol) and then Recharging to 100% MIGHT allow the car to re-estimate the capacity better and give you a small increase.

However, it's equally possible that the car is older than you think (could well be a 2011 built car that didn't get registered until 2012) and that the dealer treated the battery badly (recharging frequently when the battery was already above 80%/10 bars, recharging when the car was already at 100%, or leaving the car sitting at 100% for long periods). 14% is within the bounds of normal though.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Well my brand new Leaf with 236 miles has just 62.12Ah according to LeafSpy so that 66Ah may not always apply.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok Edd thanks I'll try the turtle mode then recharge if that don't work do I have a word with the dealer. Sorry about the other post my mistake

·
Super Moderator
7,576 Posts
Ok Edd thanks I'll try the turtle mode then recharge if that don't work do I have a word with the dealer. Sorry about the other post my mistake
If you want to go to turtle mode please be careful, once you hit turtle you have less than half a mile at 30mph, don't get stuck a few streets away (or worse)!

There's nothing your dealer would do, that capacity loss is within normal bounds, the battery warranty says you will keep ~70% for five years.

·
Super Moderator
7,576 Posts
Well my brand new Leaf with 236 miles has just 62.12Ah according to LeafSpy so that 66Ah may not always apply.
Still saying that now Paul after using it since you got it?

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
That is what it has now... after just 8 x 80% charges and just 236 miles (2 x rapids to 80%).

Surely it won't have lost 4Ah with just 8 x 80% charges? I don't think it could have been anywhere near 66Ah when I got it at new.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that I'll let you know how it goes. Do you know what the % is when it loses its first capacity bar?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I would assume that your LEAF is older than 2012 as @Edd Beesley has mentioned. Pretty high degradation considering you have only done 11k miles.

My May 2013 generation 2 UK leaf is currently at 13k miles and according to leafspy it has 67.36AHr. I hope this is accurate!

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Perhaps I should do a 100% charge and see what it says after that. I haven't charged to 100% since I got it :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My car must be about the same age as Dean's and it has very similar readings.

AHr= 67.36
SOH= 100%
Hx=109.66
Odo= 14994
154 QCs, 431 l1/l2s.

The last time I checked when it was 100% charged the Gid reading was 284.

I'm not sure what any of that means but it sounds impressive.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
My car must be about the same age as Dean's and it has very similar readings.

AHr= 67.36
SOH= 100%
Hx=109.66
Odo= 14994
154 QCs, 431 l1/l2s.

The last time I checked when it was 100% charged the Gid reading was 284.

I'm not sure what any of that means but it sounds impressive.
A gid reading of 284 at 100% is what a new battery should hold. I think 1 gid = 80Wh. So a gid reading is a true representation of how much energy your battery can hold. 22720Wh = 22.72KWh

·
Registered
407 Posts
Anyone else not trusting leaf spy?

I've run down to 5% and then charged to 100%, still shows 284 gids 67.36ahr. I drove 59miles with heat etc about ave 3.35mile/kw till about 5%. I guess batt temp being around 8 Celsius and low efficiency per mile makes sense for only covering 59miles but i've done 18623miles now, 124 quick charges and 951 L2.

I just expected to see some degradation reported by leaf spy but its still 67.36 like new. I know i shouldn't complain.. just finding it hard to believe!

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
It is hard to say. I have seen variations which imply it is reading something (and it's just hard coded!)

59 miles seems pretty poor. I just got in with 20% left after 57 miles (two journeys) and that was up the motorway and back.

My old Gen1 versus Gen2 comparison is interesting. The Gen1 reported as ~61Ah on LeafSpy while the Gen2 reports 67Ah.

The Gen1 used to warn "Low Battery" with ~5 miles range left, somewhere near home when on the 57 mile journey. Leafspy would say it usually actually had 16-17% left.

The Gen2 doesn't generally give a "Low Battery" warning, however, the one time it did (when it was sub-zero all day) I also had 17% left but it reckoned that would get me 20 miles.

Not sure which GOM to believe. Nor which Ah reading.

Interestingly also, the Gen2 gets me to work on around 35-40% battery, while the Gen1 used to use 45-50%.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I have the same stats as you @MK Tom also the same mileage. I have a funny feeling that Leafspy has a software display limit of 284 GIDS and 67.36Ah.

I think the figures are correct. @candctaxis are reporting very good battery stats from their Gen 2 LEAFs with 70k+ miles on the clock. With still achieving good range on their cars even with the high milage on the clock.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts