Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was planning on buying a Leaf just before the pandemic hit, and went to look at one at a local car supermarket.
Over a year later and the car is still there.
I very much doubt they would maintain the car/battery so was wondering what effect it would have being flat all this time and whether it would be detrimental in any way?

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,680 Posts
My wife was planning on buying a Leaf just before the pandemic hit, and went to look at one at a local car supermarket.
Over a year later and the car is still there.
I very much doubt they would maintain the car/battery so was wondering what effect it would have being flat all this time and whether it would be detrimental in any way?
I picked up a 2016 Leaf30 in 2018 (ex-demo) that had 3900 miles on the clock. Battery was down to 91% but after update and usage, it’s at 87% and 45000 miles on the clock.

Get yourself OBD2 adapter and download Leaf Spy Lite to get some basic readings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
There might be some degradation (depending upon how much charge it was left at)

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,728 Posts
A good opportunity to make a low offer and use the year's storage possibly borking the battery as a lever. In any case they will want to be rid of it after a year and turn it into some cash. Go low on the basis that there will be degradation - whether there is or not. But check the % it's at right now and walk away if it's at zero.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,507 Posts
Fit a new 12v battery.

Lithium batteries don't suffer sulphation which kills LA batteries but should not be left at a low (or 100%) SOC for long periods.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
It probably still has the charge it was left at. As long as is between 20-80% you should be fine.

New 12V battery is always good for the car

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
625 Posts
I purchased a 2 year old leaf that had only covered 3700 miles, it had a low battery cell:

but it’s SOH was over 96%, I had to fully charge it A LOT to correct this!

It’s done 14K now and looks like this:

It hadn’t harmed the battery but the leaf BMS is useless at rebalancing cells, it took 10,000 miles and 8 months of daily 100% charges to fix the circa 10% loss of range.

Use leaf spy and check the battery at 100% SOC and see what the mV reading says it should ideally be less than 20 of its over 40 it will be effort to rebalance it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If your wife wants to buy it (wife buying a car - what's all that about !) and they are not prepared to do deals, work around it in other ways, get an agreement they fully pay for a home charger installation, 3 years free servicing with breakdown and flat battery cover, a loan ICE vehicle every year for 5 years when you need it for holidays etc., there are multiple deals that will save you a lot of money and is negligible cost to them.
Tony

·
Registered
92 Posts
If the leafspy doesn;t look great, but it hasn't had the BMS update (if it's 30kw), then you could use that to beat them down, then have it updated to get the true (better) values.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,507 Posts
It increases reported capacity. Capacity == range so yes

Not being funny, but what it reports and whether the actual range has increased are not the same.

The reason for my cynicism is that Honda 'pulled a fast one' with their CRZ owners when battery warranty claims started flooding in.
Their answer was to issue an update which made the SOC gauge always display 100% thus foolling onwers into thinking their battery was fine and ending the dealer visits and claims.

In fact, they made it read 100% of the actual SOH, and not a percentage of the new SOH. The bodge was easily detected because the motor assistance time simply dropped over the years, regardless of the SOC display. (the capacity of my CRZ's battery was about 57% after 7years but the SOC always reached 100%)

So if Nissan has done the same, the range would not have changed even though the capacity 'appears' to have been increased by the update.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Not being funny, but what it reports and whether the actual range has increased are not the same.

The reason for my cynicism is that Honda 'pulled a fast one' with their CRZ owners when battery warranty claims started flooding in.
Their answer was to issue an update which made the SOC gauge always display 100% thus foolling onwers into thinking their battery was fine and ending the dealer visits and claims.

In fact, they made it read 100% of the actual SOH, and not a percentage of the new SOH. The bodge was easily detected because the motor assistance time simply dropped over the years, regardless of the SOC display. (the capacity of my CRZ's battery was about 57% after 7years but the SOC always reached 100%)

So if Nissan has done the same, the range would not have changed even though the capacity 'appears' to have been increased by the update.
I doubt anyone really has the time. Post 4NR4A->4C (91->96%) upgrade I drove to Coventry and drive 105 miles - got to LBW.

Today at 87% SoH I’m not comfortable doing 70 mile journey unless the car is fully charged

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,507 Posts
I thought I read on another thread, that the update reduced the top and bottom buffers, thereby increasing the range a little as well as giving the SOH increase.
I do wonder why we need these buffers if the latest BMS software is able to accurately control the charging and avoid any risk of overcharging.
Reducing the bottom buffer would just mean that when the range is --- then you can expect to grind to halt very quickly.
I also think that some EV's such as the Niro, Kona etc that seem to achieve close to the WLTP range is because they have minimal buffers.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I thought I read on another thread, that the update reduced the top and bottom buffers, thereby increasing the range a little as well as giving the SOH increase.
I do wonder why we need these buffers if the latest BMS software is able to accurately control the charging and avoid any risk of overcharging.
Reducing the bottom buffer would just mean that when the range is --- then you can expect to grind to halt very quickly.
I also think that some EV's such as the Niro, Kona etc that seem to achieve close to the WLTP range is because they have minimal buffers.
The top buffer was unchanged. It was 4.11 pre update and was 4.11 post update. Most reserve is at top end.

During recent VLBW, before the car died, there cells were down to 2.6V. There is no bottom buffer or it’s negligible

·
Registered
461 Posts
If it's been sat on their forecourt for a year surely they want rid of it and a stellar deal to be had. Get leaf spy on it and see what the battery condition is like.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts