Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems as though the leaf Taxi craze is spreading..My Aunt in Strabane mentioned She had seen one when I was on a visit with them yesterday,and on my way home I saw my first Minicab Leaf waiting on a fare in Sion Mills...It's only about the 5th Leaf I've seen in this country so far..are they a rare or common sight in your area?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
It's a nice step, but probably small beer. Every other minicab in Nottingham is now a Prius.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
There's a black Leaf taxi in Coventry...

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
In Nottingham, DG Taxis have bought quite a few Leafs. Don't know if it's a publicity stunt or a business decision though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In Amsterdam, NL, there's a taxi company that only uses LEAFs. It's a very convenient service, especially getting to and from the airport. It's called Taxi Electric or something like that.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
If I had the capital to invest I would look to start a E-Taxi service here in Plymouth. I have thought of qualifying as a private hire driver and just doing it with my current Leaf... still thinking about it but probably it won't happen especially as we don't have a rapid charger here yet (other than the dealer that is).

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
eNV-200 London Taxis should be coming if they aren't here already. Leaf doesn't meet the PCO requirements.

I didn't see any EV taxis on two recent trips to London. We did ride in a Mercedes Vito as well as a few LTI black cabs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just had a message from my daughter arriving in Malta. Her booked taxi is a LEAF. Suggested she ask for a test drive - she finds mine a bit too speedy!

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
632 Posts
Longley's Taxis in Canterbury, Kent, have a new Leaf as a joint Green venture with the local Nissan dealer, it even made the local paper!

·
Registered
591 Posts
They should make a Black Taxi for London based on the Nissan Leaf. As at taxi it's a pretty ideal car - smooth, comfortable, plenty of space. I read somewhere that taxis account for a large percentage of the pollution in cities, as they spend a lot more time moving around than private cars, which spend most of their lives parked.

I have seen Nissan Leaf taxis in Madrid, Spain. I think the local government helped to fund them and they seem to be pretty sucessful.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul First Edition
3,221 Posts
Leaf doesn't meet the PCO requirements.
Really? I have seen a few Leaf's being used as PCO vehicles in South London.

(Though not interviewed any drivers yet)

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
Really? I have seen a few Leaf's being used as PCO vehicles in South London.

(Though not interviewed any drivers yet)

Sorry I wasn't clear. LEAF can be a Private Hire Vehicle (mini cab). LEAF does not meet many of the requirements of a London Taxi.

Sight patches
Intercom
Wheel Chair access
Automatic Door Locking System
25ft turning circle​

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/vehicle-licence-inspection-manual.pdf

Nissan announced special London Taxi versions of the NV200 and eNV200 a few years ago. Then things went very quiet.
I don't know if Nissan abandoned the project or if it is just very delayed.

REVEALED: New vision for the London taxi

Mercedes build a London Taxi version of the Vito. It has rear wheel steering to meet the turning circle requirement.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think it's a great car for a taxi company. As mentioned above, if I had the money I'd love to set up a service in my area but it's a lot of initial investment. The Leaf taxi service in Blackpool who post on here seem to have a great model but have set up a rapid charge network on top of investing in a fleet of Leafs. How do you even go about setting up your own personal rapid charger network?

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
How do you even go about setting up your own personal rapid charger network?
Select sites that have 50kW 3-phase power available or pay for DNO upgrades. Buy rapid chargers from DBT or Siemens and have them installed.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
If a taxi company is based in a town where most customers want to travel into the town or home from the town, then you can have a single base in the town with your chargers etc. This can work great with an EV, as the drivers can charge while waiting for the next customer wishing to leave the town. Also about 50% of your trips will end near your charger. (Could also work near a hospital if you can find a way to market to people going to/from it.)

However in a city like London or Manchester your customers will want to go all over the place, hence needing lots of public rapid chargers before taxis can do EV.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts