Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Only a week into ownership, and overall very very happy. However
1/ No windows up/down with locking/unlocking via remote.
2/ Windows-one touch up/down only on drivers window.
3/ No rear usb, and only one in front.
4/ One day, electric mirrors didn’t fold out, and music screen froze with no sound, a restart sorted it-hope it was a one off.
5/ All the possible screens have to be activated through left/right and scrolling, no option for quick select. My mini had 6 programmable buttons and was much less of a faff.
6/ Can’t get the app to work.
So, 6 minor gripes, and tbh all pretty minor, and it’s by far the best car I’ve ever owned, but most could be sorted......and no, the lack of steering wheel reach adjustment, not an issue, perfect for me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
5 minor gripes. You could get really annoyed by the app, especially in the winter when it should come into its own for defrosting the glass.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Only a week into ownership, and overall very very happy. However
1/ No windows up/down with locking/unlocking via remote.
2/ Windows-one touch up/down only on drivers window.
3/ No rear usb, and only one in front.
4/ One day, electric mirrors didn’t fold out, and music screen froze with no sound, a restart sorted it-hope it was a one off.
5/ All the possible screens have to be activated through left/right and scrolling, no option for quick select. My mini had 6 programmable buttons and was much less of a faff.
6/ Can’t get the app to work.
So, 6 minor gripes, and tbh all pretty minor, and it’s by far the best car I’ve ever owned, but most could be sorted......and no, the lack of steering wheel reach adjustment, not an issue, perfect for me.
Which model do you have and is it brand-new?

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
786 Posts
Models since November 2019 have 2 USB ports in the rear for charging purposes.

I have always been disappointed and perplexed that there is no foot rest in the front to accommodate the idle left foot, it's probably the only automatic on the market that doesn't have one.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,242 Posts
Lack of foot rest makes quite a difference. I didn't realise it would. Now I have one and wheel reach adjustment I'm comfortable for the first time in ages.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have never got the cars sat nav to show public car charging points in a way that’s helpful. It doesn’t update new ones And some companies never show.
The menu for this function isn’t logical or useable.
Great car, best for smiles I’ve ever used.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
786 Posts
The new ‘Tom Tom’ set up doesn’t have speed cameras (sorry , I meant road safety cameras :)) either, a least if it has, then I haven’t been able to find them. Not that I need them, as I never exceed the speed limit;).

Great car, agreed, just going for a quick blast, now.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The new ‘Tom Tom’ set up doesn’t have speed cameras (sorry , I meant road safety cameras :)) either, a least if it has, then I haven’t been able to find them. Not that I need them, as I never exceed the speed limit;).
Great car, agreed, just going for a quick blast, now.
Odd - I thought mine does. I'll check.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tom Tom to EU spec so no camera blips allowed but you can set up to beep when you exceed limit or a few mph above or below limit. Personal preference is Garmin above Tom Tom.

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
723 Posts
As always it's each to there own, but I'd describe my e+ as a great all rounder.. It may not be as quick charging as some, it may not be the most efficient or have the most toys, it just does what it says on the tin ( apart from the GOM which in my experience is about 10 % optimistic 🙃 ) When seeing the amount of niggles or worse some other makes have had or are having it makes the Leaf more appealing by the day for my usage pattern...

·
Registered
59 Posts
As always it's each to there own, but I'd describe my e+ as a great all rounder.. It may not be as quick charging as some, it may not be the most efficient or have the most toys, it just does what it says on the tin ( apart from the GOM which in my experience is about 10 % optimistic 🙃 ) When seeing the amount of niggles or worse some other makes have had or are having it makes the Leaf more appealing by the day for my usage pattern...
I'm thoroughly enjoying my 62 and echo this. But go on @rikdud , make me feel even better. Tell us about the niggles of elsewhere...

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
723 Posts
I'm thoroughly enjoying my 62 and echo this. But go on @rikdud , make me feel even better. Tell us about the niggles of elsewhere...
Oh if you insist 😄 I've seen the posts on the forum that some are having with wrongly installed ( should be fool proof ) software updates from Hyundai & how its causing BIG issues with rapid charging + aux battery issues..
Quite a few niggles from Corsa owners, I mean who wants a car that can only remote heat or cool when battery is above 50% + no % display, no granny charger included & prob same things on other PSA clones...
I think there was one car that can't heat with air con on to help keep screen clear in winter, might of been the Zoe ? Anyone know if new Zoe still temperamental at charging like old one?
Makes the e+ look pretty good, I even prefer the non liquid cooled battery as its less to go wrong & no expensive coolant change service needed later on.. I know its not perfect but as a genuine 200 mile car it gets the basics right.. IMO of course 😊

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,242 Posts
The corsa niggles are very annoying. They are all things that can be improved fortunately. You can add auto wipers that aren't auto to the list of stupid :)

New Zoe isn't even water proof. Driver's door leaks.

Lack of thermal battery management in the leaf you're stuck with. It is simpler but I'm at a loss as to why they didn't just use a fan to draw cabin air over the battery like the original soul EV did. That seems a daft decision.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I originally went to look at a 2016 30kwh leaf. Then I made the mistake of test driving the 2018 40kwh model, which of course, I bought. Good job there wasn’t a 62kwh version available for test as I suspect I would’ve gone over my already well gone overable budget!
For consolation, I’m telling myself that the 62 is a lot more expensive and the added weight means it doesn’t ride quite so well (According to reviews). That’s 2 petty ‘againsts’ but the increased range, acceleration and top speed means that, yes I’m very jealous of you!!!!!😢

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have read in a German forum, and once experienced myself, that this can happen if something is plugged in into the cigarette lighter. For me it was a USB charger plug. After I removed it, it never happened again. Could have been a coincidence though ...

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn’t actually have anything plugged into the cigarette lighter when it failed to operate yesterday. However, I did discover that there’s a manual mirror foldie innie button! So I’ve turned off the auto and will just use this when I park on a road. I also found out today that if you try to move the car forwards with the drivers door open, it puts the park brake on. I was just pulling out of the works car park space a few feet to put some plasterboard in the boot......yes, not something you should really do, but if you do want to, you can’t!

Oh, and wouldn’t it be great if the flashy Chargy lights on the dash had 5, instead of 3 led lights.....20% per light instead of? 33.3%. In fact, 10 would be ideal, for 10% each? At about 5p per led it wouldn’t add much to the cars rrp would it?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have always been disappointed and perplexed that there is no foot rest in the front to accommodate the idle left foot, it's probably the only automatic on the market that doesn't have one.
There's quite a few cars that suffer from this. The worst offenders are often cars that are designed for LHD markets with no thought at all for RHD. Two particularly bad examples that I found were the Jeep Grand Cherokee (2005-2010 model) and Mercedes GLC. In both cases the vehicles have a wide transmission that is cutting into the footwell space, giving an angled side to the footwell and no foot rest. The angled nature of the side of the footwell means you can't get any purchase against it and your foot slides away and ends up behind hte brake pedal. It isn't a problem in their "native" LHD versions as they have a footrest by the door and the right foot is the "active" foot.

I do wonder if the GLC-based EQC suffers from the same problem in RHD form.

I can't figure out how car manufacturers continue to get really fundamental stuff like this wrong after all this time.... or is it simply disdain for RHD? Many examples of that over the years*, but what's Nissan's excuse for that (as the Leaf is natively RHD)?

* Peugeot/Citroen exposed pedal linkages that allowed passengers in RHD cars to apply the brakes. Mercedes-Benz GLK design unable to be made RHD. Mercedes GLC "Crabbing" issue on RHD models. My Grandfather's Mercedes 500SEL bonnet release was in the passenger (ie left) footwell. Audi A4/A5/A6 with longitudinal engines pedals offset to the right in RHD cars (due to the power-take off for the front axle being attached to that side of the transmission), etc.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I have never got the cars sat nav to show public car charging points in a way that’s helpful. It doesn’t update new ones
I noticed that this was an issue in the past (my LEAF 30 2017), but I just checked and there is a new'ish rapid charger local'ish that does appear on the list.

I was told a few years ago that they only update it once a year, which is a bit ridiculous considering the pace of new charger installs. I'm sure that I was not the only one to point out to them how unhelpful that was. Maybe they have seen sense and started doing more regular updates?

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I noticed that this was an issue in the past (my LEAF 30 2017), but I just checked and there is a new'ish rapid charger local'ish that does appear on the list.

I was told a few years ago that they only update it once a year, which is a bit ridiculous considering the pace of new charger installs. I'm sure that I was not the only one to point out to them how unhelpful that was. Maybe they have seen sense and started doing more regular updates?
I’d have expected an update check option in the settings, like on your phone....if there is, I ain’t found it yet. How do the updates work then, and how do you know if you’ve had one?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts