Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm aware Nissan (Particularly in Japan) have "Leaf to Home" units that basically allow a Leaf to function as a backup battery system for the place it's plugged into,be it a home or a Business..Robert Llewellyn in "Fully Charged" visited a Scotch whisky distillery that had one that was capable of running the plant..
I'm just curious how many of them would be in the UK,as I'm sure the concept could be extended to all home charged EV's,even on a large scale being able to help manage demand on the Grid..Any Leaf owners have one,know of one,or would be interested in one?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
A lot would be interested as they have been discussed many times but they are not available int he UK at all.

@Dave Davies has tried to get one and to import it from Japan without success... they just won't sell one to him.

If I could get one I would have one for sure... it would mean I could charge up the Leaf on free solar in the day or cheap E7 electricity over night and then use the Leaf in the evening... when I know I am no longer needing it for travel, to run the house without buying electricity. It would reduce my electricity bill to almost nothing I expect and increase the use of solar and off-peak electricity.

It has to be a good thing... but I suspect it might be too expensive to justify it on cost alone... we will see.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lot would be interested as they have been discussed many times but they are not available int he UK at all.

@Dave Davies has tried to get one and to import it from Japan without success... they just won't sell one to him.

If I could get one I would have one for sure... it would mean I could charge up the Leaf on free solar in the day or cheap E7 electricity over night and then use the Leaf in the evening... when I know I am no longer needing it for travel, to run the house without buying electricity. It would reduce my electricity bill to almost nothing I expect and increase the use of solar and off-peak electricity.

It has to be a good thing... but I suspect it might be too expensive to justify it on cost alone... we will see.
I should have rewatched the fully charged segment first instead of relying on memory...Robert was with Gareth Dean of Nissan Europe who was demonstrating the unit as a prototype..
Looking for background,I found this :
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13097

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Not sure I am happy with the inverter feed coming from the 12V battery especially as the house load could be as high as 6kW at times for us.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Whilst 12VDC to 240VAC is easy (I have installed one but 1kW maximum but runs my fridge freezer and gas boiler as well as some lights) many people in the US owning a PiP have installed a HV cable outlet from the traction battery to an inverter, usually an old UPS, which works well.

Here is just one:
http://priusgen.sandbox.org/

·
http://ts.la/david3488
702 Posts
As far as I know SASMI are the only people outside of nissan in the EU that have one.
Although it could be argued that they are part of nissan..
I am currently attempting to buy one in japan on the ground in person using a 'friend'
Mitsubishi also sell one as pointed out by @snfosberry but the uk referred me to Japan and Japan denied access on CE grounds.
I expect its something to do with g83/g59 approvals.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as I know SASMI are the only people outside of nissan in the EU that have one.
Although it could be argued that they are part of nissan..
I am currently attempting to buy one in japan on the ground in person using a 'friend'
Mitsubishi also sell one as pointed out by @snfosberry but the uk referred me to Japan and Japan denied access on CE grounds.
I expect its something to do with g83/g59 approvals.
Thanks for the extra info..if Euro type approval is a problem,I'm guessing it could take a while before they get to be available here..

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Unless the solution includes a grid cutoff device, certification won't be the only problem, it'll be the contravention of UK electrical regs

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
There is a CE conforming product, the Powerrouter by NEDAP, available which enables demand peak flattening. I've no idea of the costs/benefits and it operates using its own batteries not an EV's, but the technology is available.

Disclosure: I have no connection with NEDAP.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I am still not clear how plugging into the charger on the car will allow you to take power out.

As I understand it, there is no user available direct connection to the battery on any commercial EV, certainly not heavy enough to power anything.

·
http://ts.la/david3488
702 Posts
Unless the solution includes a grid cutoff device, certification won't be the only problem, it'll be the contravention of UK electrical regs
It boils down to G83 and that fact that the unit is 100v out of the box.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am still not clear how plugging into the charger on the car will allow you to take power out.

As I understand it, there is no user available direct connection to the battery on any commercial EV, certainly not heavy enough to power anything.
I don't have a complete understanding of the technicalities, just from having seen the fully charged ep at the Bruichladdich distillery..the "Leaf to home" prototype shown consisted of a couple of cabinet type units,one that connected to the traction battery,the other converted the battery power to domestic mains voltage.basically,in a power outage,the car battery could provide a day or so of domestic power..

·
Registered
541 Posts
If you check the vids, the system utilises the Chademo port. This would indicate the Leaf to home units have a direct connection to the battery pack, much like the rapid chargers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts