Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having driven well over 5000 km in just under 2 months, I'm overall very happy with the EV experience. I love the smooth ride, relative quietness as well as the instant torque when wanted.

However, there are some nagging issues that haven't been resolved yet. I wonder if other LEAF drivers recognise these issues. Here goes:

1. The spray heads for the windscreen cleaner spray on the bottom of the black plastic panel. Car has been in for service and this has improved things slightly, but only for a short time.
  2. CarWings refuses to register the car on my account. Very poor service from Nissan Netherlands. Not solved after 2 months of communications with Nissan and the dealer. Problem is that it's getting cooler and I want to be able to use the remote control feature for pre heating. Being able to update the charge points would also be nice...
  3. Often in the morning I get an error. I disconnect the charger, and when I start the car the yellow general warning light stays on together with the general breaks warning light. When I shut down the car and restart, the errors don't come up again. The dealer cleared the error message history, and this solved the problem for about two weeks. Then it resurfaced last week. Once this also happened with the '12V battery warning light'. It's not only inconvenient to start the car twice before driving off, I'm also concerned because it's the warning light for the breaks...
  4. A strange sound when I drive off. Like a big spring going back into place about 30-100 meters after I drive away.
Anyone recognise one or more of these issues? I'm about to file a complaint with Nissan demanding a prompt fix.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The spray heads for the windscreen cleaner spray
These spray jets are a bit pathetic on my Leaf but just about do the job.
CarWings refuses to register the car on my account
CarWings took over a week before it was operational and now is not the most inspiring application. It would be good for the Leaf to connect to your home Wifi as I think it just uses 2G GSM network, slow and patchy.

As for 3 and 4 not had any of these issues.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Having driven well over 5000 km in just under 2 months, I'm overall very happy with the EV experience. I love the smooth ride, relative quietness as well as the instant torque when wanted.

However, there are some nagging issues that haven't been resolved yet. I wonder if other LEAF drivers recognise these issues. Here goes:

1. The spray heads for the windscreen cleaner spray on the bottom of the black plastic panel. Car has been in for service and this has improved things slightly, but only for a short time.
  2. CarWings refuses to register the car on my account. Very poor service from Nissan Netherlands. Not solved after 2 months of communications with Nissan and the dealer. Problem is that it's getting cooler and I want to be able to use the remote control feature for pre heating. Being able to update the charge points would also be nice...
  3. Often in the morning I get an error. I disconnect the charger, and when I start the car the yellow general warning light stays on together with the general breaks warning light. When I shut down the car and restart, the errors don't come up again. The dealer cleared the error message history, and this solved the problem for about two weeks. Then it resurfaced last week. Once this also happened with the '12V battery warning light'. It's not only inconvenient to start the car twice before driving off, I'm also concerned because it's the warning light for the breaks...
  4. A strange sound when I drive off. Like a big spring going back into place about 30-100 meters after I drive away.
Anyone recognise one or more of these issues? I'm about to file a complaint with Nissan demanding a prompt fix.
For number 3 I'd get the 12v battery checked - there are more than a few reports of faulty 12v batteries causing all sorts of (apparently unrelated) issues.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
For number 3 I'd get the 12v battery checked - there are more than a few reports of faulty 12v batteries causing all sorts of (apparently unrelated) issues.
Yes, I've seen those reports and that ran through my mind when it happened... I did point the dealer to a thread here about that issue before signing the deal. They said it was a known issue and that it had been resolved... Good thing I have that in writing.

EDIT:
It seems I read to quickly. Now I understand your post is not just about the dead 12V battery issue (which I have read about), but also about a faulty battery causing errors.

I'll point the dealer to this lead. Do you have a link about the latter phenomenon?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These spray jets are a bit pathetic on my Leaf but just about do the job.

CarWings took over a week before it was operational and now is not the most inspiring application. It would be good for the Leaf to connect to your home Wifi as I think it just uses 2G GSM network, slow and patchy.

As for 3 and 4 not had any of these issues.
Thank you for your response. Could very well be a poor network reception, but I've also read posts about reseting the TCU. Anyway, it's for them to find out and solve it...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
A strange sound when I drive off. Like a big spring going back into place about 30-100 meters after I drive away.

I'm on my second Leaf and the BOING sound happens every time I set off. I have to reverse up a bit of hill to get out of my drive and I think it may happen shortly after I engage forward 'gear.' I don't think it's anything to worry about and just reflects the fact that EVs are so quiet you hear lots of noises you wouldn't hear otherwise. Like my LEAF brakes makes lots of little clonking noises ...

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
+1

It could be that driving the car to the dealer puts enough charge on it that they don't see the voltage as being too low.

I had to leave my car overnight at the dealer for them to see the problem.

Several annoying problems on our car went away after they replaced the 12v battery.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

I'm on my second Leaf and the BOING sound happens every time I set off. I have to reverse up a bit of hill to get out of my drive and I think it may happen shortly after I engage forward 'gear.' I don't think it's anything to worry about and just reflects the fact that EVs are so quiet you hear lots of noises you wouldn't hear otherwise. Like my LEAF brakes makes lots of little clonking noises ...
Thanks, that would explain why I only hear this when I leave home. It's the only place where I park facing forward due to the position of the charge point. That means I also have to back up first. I'll see if I can check this.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Thanks, that would explain why I only hear this when I leave home. It's the only place where I park facing forward due to the position of the charge point. That means I also have to back up first. I'll see if I can check this.
Ah hah. Well I'd be interested in knowing why it makes the noise, so if you find out please let me know!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts

Joke alert. Would that be a Leaf Spring by any chance? Seriously though I do wonder about the possibility of "engine" mount deterioration. There is generally loads of torque available and used from electric motors and some of the traditional automotive components may not be quite up to the job. I have a converted Astra which has destroyed its final drive, There is also quite a bit of movement from the engine mounts when you load up the torque. Because of the lack of engine vibration there should not be a need for compliant rubber mountings on EV motors. Are Nissan still using them?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I get the faint boing sound at exactly 10 mph, every time after first starting the LEAF.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Have you seen the size of the engine/motor mounts on the leaf? They are huge! Far bigger than my turbo'd cars or even the V8. I'll try and find the pictures...................

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
  1. CarWings refuses to register the car on my account. Very poor service from Nissan Netherlands. Not solved after 2 months of communications with Nissan and the dealer. Problem is that it's getting cooler and I want to be able to use the remote control feature for pre heating. Being able to update the charge points would also be nice...
Was your car pre-registered? If the dealer has not cancelled the previous account you will not be allowed to register.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was your car pre-registered? If the dealer has not cancelled the previous account you will not be allowed to register.
It is a completely new car, so would be strange if it were pur registered. Nissan claim that everything is set up fine.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Never noticed any of those issues on my gen1, though I haven't checked the washers.

I did get a failed 12V battery, but the main issue there was not starting after being left/leaving light on. Replaced, all sorted. However when level gets very low the dash does start behaving in odd ways, so it's worth considering.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The Boing sound people are hearing when they set off is a user settable alarm that goes off when a pre-set speed is exceeded. If this has been set at 0mph then it will go off each time you set off. It can be turned off or set at a higher speed but will need to check the manual on how to do so.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's not a boing in the sense of an alarm. It's more like the sound of a plastic ruler being twanged from the edge of a table.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If the boing is mechanical and not software related it's probably the ABS pump priming once you first read the speed the system activates at. You can hear it when you pull away in older VAG cars with Bosch pumps (no idea what type of pump the Leaf uses) and I assume it's just more audible in the Leaf.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If the boing is mechanical and not software related it's probably the ABS pump priming once you first read the speed the system activates at. You can hear it when you pull away in older VAG cars with Bosch pumps (no idea what type of pump the Leaf uses) and I assume it's just more audible in the Leaf.
This makes a lot of sense! Thanks ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts