Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've got a Leaf 30Kwh with two sets of rims, one with summer tyres, one with winter. I bought the car 2nd hand in January this year, and the car came with summer tyres on the factory 17" rims and all was fine with the TPMS (rubber valve stems). I fitted a 2nd hand set of rims with new winter tyres, and again all the TPMS was fine with this too (aluminium valve stems). I had the original 17" rims refurbished, and since they were fitted on the car again in April I get an intermittent fault with the TPMS warning light on the dash coming on and then often clearing itself again, and the garage says that they replaced 2 x valve stems.

Leaf spy Pro indicates that the tyres it can't read the pressures on, are the RH front AND/OR the RH rear, so far never the LH tyres. (Pressures in Leaf Spy are grey rather than black). It's an intermittent fault, where I can drive 100 miles or so with no warning lights, and it looks like all sensors are working fine, and then another day the light is on and off every few miles.

I've tried the TPMS reset on the dashboard, and I've reset the system via Leaf Spy. At the weekend I'm going to swap some wheels around to see if the fault moves with the wheels in question, but just wondered if anyone had experienced this type of fault already, and what the fix was? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
The original TPMS valves fitted to the car were on aluminium stems. Clearly they have been moved, possibly to your spare set.
Rubber stems were fitted to Jokes from earlier and the sensors may well just be at the end of their life.

·
Registered
44 Posts
All this expensive complication just because 98% of American drivers don't know how to use a $1.49 pencil gage? Sheesh.
Drive it until it won't go.
One of my sons let his sister borrow his car. Had a flat while her husband was driving it. Put the spare on but didn't tighten the nuts beyond finger tight. No wrench, despite having to use the wrench to get the flat off. Nuts gradually work loose. Keeps driving with a strange rumbling noise coming from the wheel. Intends to take the car to a shop. Keeps driving.Rumbling louder, car shaking. Wheel comes off, dropping the knuckle onto the disc as a wheel. As the disc is normally held to the hub by the wheel against it, in turn held tight with the nuts, the disc goes cockeyed and jams in the caliper. Brake dust shield beat all to hell.
Daughter's husband claims that he didn't know that the wheel nuts have to be securely tightened 😬😬😬😬😬 like to maybe 100 lbs/ft. Stud holes in the wheel all chawed out. Son had to buy another wheel at the salvage yard.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The original TPMS valves fitted to the car were on aluminium stems. Clearly they have been moved, possibly to your spare set.
Rubber stems were fitted to Jokes from earlier and the sensors may well just be at the end of their life.
Actually, the TPMS valves never swapped wheel sets. The Tekna wheels with black rubber valves that the car came with did have working TPMS valves before the refurbishment, and 2 of these are the ones with the intermittent connection issue (just 4 years old). The aluminium TPMS valves came with the 2nd hand Acenta wheels for the winter tyres and they were absolutely fine, paired to the car OK, and didn't report any punctures while they were on the car, even though I suspect these valves are actually older than the factory Tekna wheels (my guess is that they're about 7 years old). My current conclusion is that two of the new style valves are faulty, and it's probably just the batteries which are failing, but I will swap the locations of the front two tyres (asymmetric tyre treads so OK to do so), and will see if the fault moves. Fingers crossed it does!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, the TPMS valves never swapped wheel sets. The Tekna wheels with black rubber valves that the car came with did have working TPMS valves before the refurbishment, and 2 of these are the ones with the intermittent connection issue (just 4 years old). The aluminium TPMS valves came with the 2nd hand Acenta wheels for the winter tyres and they were absolutely fine, paired to the car OK, and didn't report any punctures while they were on the car, even though I suspect these valves are actually older than the factory Tekna wheels (my guess is that they're about 7 years old). My current conclusion is that two of the new style valves are faulty, and it's probably just the batteries which are failing, but I will swap the locations of the front two tyres (asymmetric tyre treads so OK to do so), and will see if the fault moves. Fingers crossed it does!
Problem solved
I ordered a new TPMS sensor from Nissan, had it fitted at a local tyre fitter, and all is good. The problem has not returned after testing for a few weeks. Now that I have the faulty sensor to hand I'll test the battery on it and replace it if it's weak, ready for any more that go on the blink in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts