Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is a simple question, I have £10-£11k to spend on a EV. I need to use it to commute, circa 30miles a day. That I'm not worried about.

However, a couple of times a month I want to do 65 miles on the motorway (happy to drive at 60mph) to visit parents. Prefer not to stop to charge on that route.

What would you recommend in the secondhand market. Leaf or Zoe?

Many thanks!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
65 miles in total?

Really I'd suggest driving both, very different cars, they'll both do that with ease I'd say (if it's total distance).

We chose the LEAF, after fancying the ZOE, but that was in no small part down to the dealer experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Paul, Many thanks. Yes it's 65 in total out of London and down the M3. This will be in a MK1 Leaf. I just wanted to check. Hoping to test drive the Zoe soon.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
65 miles will be tight for a mk1 Leaf sometimes tbh. On some days it will do it fine. On others, particularly when it is cold it may struggle. If the battery is in good nick then it should be fine most of the time but I wouldn't rely on it being easy all the time especially if you have diversions due to accidents for example.

I don't like the Zoe myself but on this occasion I would say that if the styling and size suit you then a Zoe might be more suitable IMO :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Zoe and the leaf are very nice cars, the only real deferents is the way they charge, With all new zoe they have DAB R-link and the new 3pin charger. So can charge on a 3pin 3.3kw 7kw 22kw 43kw.
But 65 miles can be done easy by both cars. I went to sata pod this weekend did 42miles still had 63 miles when I got home, pick one and enjoy you will love either of them

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Zoe and the leaf are very nice cars, the only real deferents is the way they charge, With all new zoe they have DAB R-link and the new 3pin charger. So can charge on a 3pin 3.3kw 7kw 22kw 43kw.
But 65 miles can be done easy by both cars. I went to sata pod this weekend did 42miles still had 63 miles when I got home, pick one and enjoy you will love either of them
Not quite true.

Firstly the OP is looking for a secondhand car so probably won't have the new 3-pin charger capability.

Second, you are very wrong to say that 65 miles is easy in a Mk 1 Leaf. Believe me... I wish it was! I have had my Mk1 Leaf from new and it was reliably easy when new. Now, as it is 3 yrs old and 26K miles it is not easy. It is possible on good days and may be possible on bad days. If you want a car that can do 65 miles reliably and easily then the Mk1 Leaf is not for you IMO.

Now, if you can stretch to a Mk2 then you will easily do 65 miles... as should the Zoe.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Sorry my bad I missed that he was looking for a second hand ev, and I thought the mk1 was good for 71 forgot you have done 26k. I would say look at the zoe even a second hand one, as you leas the batter if it starts to degrade they will replaced the battery with a new one so no battery worriesbut they have some every good deals on at the moment for the zoe. How much has your battery degraded Paul if you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
No Worries :)

It is actually difficult to say precisely what the range of a secondhand Mk1 is. It depends on the battery condition which depends on age, mileage, how it has been treated etc. Even if it were 71 miles I wouldn't want to do a trip of 65 miles. It would leave absolutely no margin for the unexpected.

How far you are prepared to go in a Leaf, or any EV really, depends a lot on your attitude to risk. If you are happy to risk it and occasionally get caught out then I would say 65 miles and a good mk1 Leaf would probably be fine but there is no way I would call it easy or relaxed! It depends on what degree of risk you are prepared to accept.

My personal rule of thumb is that I generally want to arrive with 15 miles remaining as a minimum. This allows for a bit of a diversion or a misjudgement on temperature etc. So for a 65 mile trip I would want a range of 80 miles. That is a pretty reliable mileage for a new Mk2 but that is very borderline for most mk1s or even impossible in winter :)

@Eunicholas I am down about 8% if I am reading the stats correctly. New 284 GIDS I am now at 264 GIDs. I work on an average of 0.28mile/GID so my range is down from about 80 miles to about 73 miles.

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Zoe is a nice car, but I ended up with a Leaf for a) Reliability, (I've never had total faith in Renault, they have had a lot of problems with electrics over the years) b) Battery lease, paying a monthly battery lease would push up my motoring costs, c) You can't charge a Zoe from a domestic socket and so I wouldn't be able to charge it when I visit my father, 71 mile trip.
If I'm honest though, I prefer the look of the Zoe and its range is a slightly greater than the Leaf.
We got a very good deal on a Mk 2 Acenta Leaf that had been used as a courtesy car. Might struggle to stretch them to 11K though.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Zoe is a nice car, but I ended up with a Leaf for a) Reliability, (I've never had total faith in Renault, they have had a lot of problems with electrics over the years) b) Battery lease, paying a monthly battery lease would push up my motoring costs, c) You can't charge a Zoe from a domestic socket and so I wouldn't be able to charge it when I visit my father, 71 mile trip.
If I'm honest though, I prefer the look of the Zoe and its range is a slightly greater than the Leaf.
We got a very good deal on a Mk 2 Acenta Leaf that had been used as a courtesy car. Might struggle to stretch them to 11K though.
Your wrong about the domestic socket all new zoe come with the 3 pin charger, and with the batter lease you never have to worry about the battery degrading.

http://myrenaultzoe.com/index.php/page/2/

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thank you for correcting me on that. When i was looking into it the domestic socket was still an issue.
I do think the Zoe is a nice car.

·
Leaf lover
4,404 Posts
I have done 40k miles in my lovely blue Leaf (gen 1)and not as yet noticed any loss of range, but I would not feel comfortable doing 65 miles without some backup plan. However if it does prove doable you have still got to charge to full again to make the return journey.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all. So it seems to be doing 65 miles on the motorway I need a MK2 Leaf or potentially a Zoe but it seems the Leaf is a nicer car.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Zoe lacks CHAdeMO - presumably the ACs provided by Ecotricity can provide a comparable charge (?) but on cross-country is it not stuck with Fast Chargers - often with less performance than the car can accept?
Ladies might prefer the Zoe lines - but for me the '**ll breaker' is knowing you have to sell-on the battery lease - or keep paying? Who will want a 5yr old Zoe (price £3-4K?) - but with a battery lease of £1000 per year? They will be unsellable - like Fluences? (IMHO):(:(

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Zoe lacks CHAdeMO - presumably the ACs provided by Ecotricity can provide a comparable charge (?)
user reports suggest that the ZOE charges faster at ~43kW AC than the Leaf does at ~40kW DC :)

on cross-country is it not stuck with Fast Chargers - often with less performance than the car can accept?
Not sure what you mean... remember that the ZOE can charge at 22kW while the Leaf is charging at 3kW/7kW at the same post.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Ladies might prefer the Zoe lines - but for me the '**ll breaker' is knowing you have to sell-on the battery lease - or keep paying? Who will want a 5yr old Zoe (price £3-4K?) - but with a battery lease of £1000 per year? They will be unsellable - like Fluences? (IMHO):(:(
Ladies?!? Say what now?!

Many EV owners are thinking short term with their current cars and that's where the ZOE and Nissan Flex schemes can work well I think, when compared to sticking with and old technology and degrading battery. Very much horses for courses I feel as there's pros and cons to both approaches.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts