Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else had the experience when you put on the heating remotely or set to come on by itself the windows mist / fog up.

The car is lovely and warm but it's so moist in the car and the windows then need to be wiped down.

Any experience of this and recommendations on stopping it from happening.

Thanks. Ian.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
This has happened on our Leaf from new. The doors also hold water and only drain when the doors are open so the moisture builds up.

Don't know a way to prevent it.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
This is common when you switch between aircon, and no aircon, and unfortunately you can't pre-heat with aircon on. So what happens is if you usually use aircon or demist in regular use, the pre-heat just fogs you up. Only things that help I find is to try to stop using aircon or to pre-heat for a LOT longer to give it time to "equalise".

I have bought some rain-x anti-fog to try, and will report back on my experience when I've got the car back from my wife to apply it and test it! :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
So... the Rain-X anti-mist stuff is a REAL pain to apply. It goes on easy enough, but it streaks and streaks, really hard to get a nice finish. Even when you think it's done, you drive at night and the street lights make lovely patterns before your eyes!!!

Anyway, aside from it being rather difficult to apply, it DOES seem to be having a positive impact, no fog at all today and I didn't use the demist option in the car once. We'll see how it goes...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Similar experience with the Fog Fight. Really difficult to apply , partly because the Leaf windscreen is difficult to get to!

Says it will last a month, we will see if that is the case!

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
So this (appalling photo) shows the view through a window in one of the "worst case" scenarios I have.

At this stage it was cold outside (dropping temps) and I'd just got out of the gym so both sweaty and showered/not properly dried.

Without the Rain-X anti fog stuff I guarantee this would have been totally misted up... instead it's kind of, well, streaky, but you can see through it and it de-mists much quicker.

Apologies for the crappy photo. ;)

Night Street light Light Mode of transport Sky

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
@Paul have you investigated the Leaf mod that Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield undertook? Running the fan without the heater iirc
No need really, keeping on A/C most of the time means it works just as well as any other car I've had (more or less, a MINI and S-Max with heated windscreens etc worked AMAZINGLY well) it's just the pre-heat not using A/C that has ever caused any real issues for me... but it wasn't tough to figure out a (warm) workaround.

These products are just trying to make it even easier to be lazy, like using Rain-X and wax on the outside of the car... no real need, but I like it. :D

That post above, I deliberately didn't use the demist or anything, just to see how the stuff copes, I wouldn't usually have a foggy window, I'd give the AC/demist a quick blast then head off.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Paul - Same experience as my Fog Fight. Better than before but not 100%

Driving in the winter has to be the best time to adopt / change over to an EV. Had my Leaf for 2 months and my misting windows / range anxiety / etc is well worth it and really not a problem. Roll on the summer and sunny days!!

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I think it's just a case of knowing what difference mixing hot and cold temps and also "dry" a/c and "regular" non-conditioned air can do... and playing it however you best choose to deal with it for any given situation. This stuff certainly helps make any decision easier by taking the edge off misting, wish I'd have tried it earlier, when I drove "classic" cars! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts