Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
807 Posts
pretty sure that the Leaf ZE0 is the same strut design as the ZE1. I bought these for my AZE0 leaf. It certainly does the job of keeping water out of the strut top bolt area.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Possibly not much help, but I got a friend to 3d-print a couple of these, which cover the entire area rather than just the inner bit.
Around £7 each IIRC.
(He used to do print requests by post, if you might be interested.)

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
9,875 Posts
As discussed in the numerous threads on this subject, most of the caps don't actually cover the entire area involved. They just cap the central part of the strut assembly and water can still collect in the outer part. In any case, this problem will not affect the nearside strut and it will remain dry without any extra protection. So that only one cap is required. Perhaps a blob of grease is all that is needed on that side.

I still think that the real solution is to use a suitable upturned container that is a push-fit over the entire assembly. My first, and most famous, attempt was an empty upturned small tuna tin that was improved by a more upmarket salmon tin by someone else. Later I found a yoghurt pot that fitted really well and then later discovered that a couple of inches cut from the bottom of a 2 litre coke bottle was a nice interference fit over the entire strut area. Combined with a good clean-out and a large blob of grease on the inner threaded parts this no-cost solution sheds water away from the whole assembly and solves the issue at negligible cost.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
pretty sure that the Leaf ZE0 is the same strut design as the ZE1. I bought these for my AZE0 leaf. It certainly does the job of keeping water out of the strut top bolt area.

That's what I have, never checked them as they are a tight fit with the sealing strip. Hopefully, it's not still full of water, lol.

·
Registered
369 Posts
In any case, this problem will not affect the nearside strut and it will remain dry without any extra protection. So that only one cap is required. Perhaps a blob of grease is all that is needed on that side.
Initially I only got one for the driver's side. But when I got the car back from a recent service, I checked that the cap was still in place, then checked the passenger side, and found it was full of water. So got a second one fitted.
I now see that there is a small drain hole directly above the passenger side too. Perhaps it's only needed when there's lots of water, such as when washing the car ?

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
9,875 Posts
Initially I only got one for the driver's side. But when I got the car back from a recent service, I checked that the cap was still in place, then checked the passenger side, and found it was full of water. So got a second one fitted.
I now see that there is a small drain hole directly above the passenger side too. Perhaps it's only needed when there's lots of water, such as when washing the car ?
That's really odd because I've now seen quite a few Leaf and none have had the drain hole on the passenger side that you describe. There was some confusion once over someone with a left hand drive model and obviously it was his passenger side strut that had the problem because the wiper pattern is the same for both handed drive cars. And the drain that gets blocked and also fills that side strut is located in the wiper spindle place which is always on the left as you face the car.

I wonder if someone has retro-drilled the hole in your car?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hmm - I guess the hole isn't in the right spot after all. I had just assumed that was the cause of the water pool. Perhaps they had just been very enthusiastic when throwing water around, and had managed to get it under the bonnet and through the grill that way.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Get water out. Dry off. Treat with cure rust. Then fill to top with silicone grease

Silicone not petroleum it nourishes rubber where as petroleum based grease can breakdown and decay rubber. Then cover strut tops with Tuna Tins. They are a tight fit. They move a little bit always keep the tops covered.

I have done this no water can get in and the grease is insurance incase it does and prevents condensation coming into contact with the metal.

The tins also shed water so it doesn't gather on metal lip at the bottom at all really even with torrential rain etc. As the lip is so slight water can't sit there it's immediately shed as soon as you start driving anyway.

Mine has had this for 18 months I check every so often it's done dry in there and clean of debris .

I tried fitted caps of various types and found this to be best solution. Water always seemed to find a way in and any moisture in there has no way to escape.

Some prefer 3d printed jobs that totally enclose but there is no air circulation and I would worry about moisture and condensation being sealed in. You could use the 3d printed jobs and still fill with grease you still have all the exterior metal as well that could corrode badly with moisture sealed in you are creating a green house if you completely seal it.

The damage is done on the threaded part cause by rubber filling up like a bath and rotting away away the threaded section of the top of the strut. There is no way for the water to escape. A friend had a leaf the screw thread completely rotted away on his as he didn't do anything to stop the water getting in and sitting there.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
9,875 Posts
I agree with @Aleras. The only permanent solution is to clean the strut, protect it with grease, and then cover the entire area with any kind of tin or plastic container that is a close fit over the outer perimeter. The 3D printed versions might appear to be sufficient but experience shows that they are not as effective as the simple solution. My first tin wasn't a particularly good fit so I wedged it down under the cover using a piece of dense polythene.

In fact, a secondary problem is that the drain hole in the wiper spindle, that sends water into this strut, can become blocked with seeds such as from a sycamore tree and then water from the windscreen overflows into the 'engine' bay and can zap electrical components under there. As part of the strut cover work it's essential to also clear and poke through the drain hole properly and then the new cover will send all the excess rain water down to ground via the inside wing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts