Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
First post here as we took delivery of our Nissan Leaf40 yesterday. I noticed that there is both a USB-3 and USB socket in the front.
My Wife has an Android, while I'm an iPhone, and in our old Qashquai we had two cables in the centre console, one lightning and one whatever you call the android fitting. One would be plugged into the car USB, while the other would be plugged into the cigarette holder to charge. The one in the USB slot would be the one that was linked to the audio system and we would swap between it when we wanted to listen to My Wife's music or decent music ;)
What happens if you plug two phones into the Leaf? Does one always take priority, or will there be a conflict?
If one takes priority, which one?
I'm thinking of getting a lightning>USB-3 cable so that we can have both phones plugged in at the same time, but I don't think my Wife would take too kindly if that meant we could only listen to my music!
Many thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The short answer from me is that I don't know. I'll check it myself sometime. The longer answer is if the music is stored on your phone (ie not online on such as Spotify) you can listen to it via blue tooth and definitely switch between phones for it. Also if your Leaf has rear seat USB chargers, one could be plugged in there to charge while the other is plugged in up front for the music.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,573 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on taking delivery your new LEAF.

I have the 2 rear USB ports that only charge devices and do not interface with the vehicle audio system.

I have 1 USB in the front which does interface, but no USB C socket as this only fitted to this years model, I think the enclosed videos explains that you can connect to both sockets simultaneously, but you can only select one USB port, at any one time, through the menu in the audio system. However both will charge devices at the same time.

2020 Nissan LEAF - USB/iPod® Interface

2019 Nissan LEAF - USB/iPod® Interface

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both - I suppose it will be a case of "try and see". I'm tempted to get a lightning>USB-C cable for the car anyway as my other cables seem to go for a walk around the house and we don't have any other USB-C sockets in the house so that one will stay firmly in the car.

As you say though, Bluetooth is an option and we do have the rear chargers if we want.

Definitely excited about starting our EV journey :)

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,573 Posts
I checked the interface, it's possible to set up 2 separate phones for incoming calls, which is very handy if there are 2 persons in the car, each with their own phone. I have learnt something, as I didn't know it did that.

(Probably need to get out more 😀)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice 😁 I picked up a USB-C cable for the car anyway, so the next time we're out together I'll have a play and see what happens with Audio/Carplay etc.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I have an older Leaf 30 with only one USB socket but the easiest solution is to have the drivers phone connected to the USB port that links to the radio, and the passengers phone connected via Bluetooth. Then you can simply switch sources between Aux and Bluetooth, which is easier than going into Bluetooth settings and switching between two Bluetooth sources.

If you want to take handsfree calls on the USB connected phone you still need to pair it with Bluetooth as well unfortunately as calls will only go over Bluetooth.

So as the driver I have my phone plugged in to the USB port in Aux mode for music/podcast playback, both my gf's and my phones are paired in bluetooth, but then in bluetooth settings I have my phone set as the device for phone calls and hers set as the device for music playback. This means I always have the hands free feature for my phone (she can just talk holding her phone as a passenger so doesn't need hands free) and can switch music to Bluetooth for her phone or Aux for mine.

I have an additional 2 USB port cigarette lighter charger if she wants to charge her phone. It all works great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, a bit of an update. Yesterday I went out with my Daughter and we had her audio playing from a memory stick in the USB slot and Waze running through the USB-C slot.

Next step is to try two phones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts