Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contacted by a journalist trying to find the two Leaf drivers who were stranded at Membury Services this week and found themselves queuing together for flatbed recovery :(

I believe I know one of the drivers but I'm not sure about the second. If you know the drivers involved can you please ask them to send me a PM if they want to talk to the press.

Many thanks!

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Surely we can trust the press to give a fair, balanced and pro-EV report of what happened.
What?
You don't agree???!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, just 'coz your Tesla has more range, no need to rub it in! :p
I don't know what angle the journos will take with the story... maybe it will have a positive spin on the fact that they didn't get stranded just inconvenienced :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Not heard of this incident. Curious why they would be stranded at Membury anyway, both sides are marked as RC working, and those sites both have fast chargers as well, also marked as working.

No mention on Electric Highway Twitter of any problem either.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Because the person posting the OP didn't tell us!

I just wonder if this thread would have appeared here if the rumour was that two Teslas had been stranded at a ZCW charging point.

But of course that is pure fantasy, and could never happen!!:D
Just "liked" this post, would have pressed a "love" button if it was available.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Not heard of this incident. Curious why they would be stranded at Membury anyway, both sides are marked as RC working, and those sites both have fast chargers as well, also marked as working.

No mention on Electric Highway Twitter of any problem either.
I stopped at both sides of Membury yesterday and dc was working fine. Did however have a brief card not recognised scare on the eastbound side. An unwelcome frantic five minutes on my first every rapid charge. :eek:

·
Registered
352 Posts
When went to Portsmouth and coming back from London last month the rapids on both side was not working and only fast on west side. And I wouldn't trust the reporter esp if daily mail..

And I see Kevin always bashing Nissan leaf esp on long trips and say how great telsa are. With latest being with Nikki on her trip to that event. So time for nissan revenge :)

http://www.citylab.com/tech/2014/04/what-running-out-power-tesla-side-highway-taught-me-about-road-trip-tomorrow/8978/

At least with Nissan u don't have to worry about getting towed unlike telsa where no one would touch it :). Heck when I stop 300 yards from rapid charge (thanx olev grants!) a friendly police officer help tow the car. (More than can be said for Nissan rescue help desk that other matter and why now AA member even through got three years Nissan break down.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I just wonder if this thread would have appeared here if the rumour was that two Teslas had been stranded at a ZCW charging point.
It wouldn't have. Or, if it did, certain posters would have attempted to debunk it or make excuses.

I have to admit, I am a little bored with the constant Tesla this and Tesla that on this forum. It's one of the reasons I don't bother posting much. There are only so many ways one can be effusive about the superiority of the Tesla product before it comes across as sycophantic.

Sometimes, reading through the new threads, or replies to threads, you'd think someone here was on a mission to become the new leader of the people's republic of Tesla - or, at the very least... get on the Tesla payroll.

And it's not a brand loyalty thing - I love my Leaf, but if I could afford the capital outlay for a Model S I'd have one tomorrow.

At the moment Tesla models just aren't accessible to the average everyday Joe. If you can afford one, good for you. I am jealous. But I thought this forum was 'speakEV', not 'speakTesla'.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Cjm do not be discouagre from posting that is a downfall of forums. Also my wife and I are loving our leaf tekna more and more each day... Planning on going to Scotland in it in fee weeks time :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The problem is that Tesla is the only car manufacturer that is producing cars of a sensible range. We should be talking about them. That is where the other manufacturers should be discussing it. People wouldn't talk about Tesla if their product was rubbish. Unfortunately, the jealousy aspect often stops reasonable discussion.

To suggest that this is a Tesla-centric forum is just not true. All EV topics and makes are discussed. The trouble is that it is almost impossible not to mention Tesla a lot of the time because that is the gold standard right now and everything is compared to them.

If you feel Tesla jealousy (and who doesn't!) then encourage other manufacturers to make cars to challenge Tesla in range and style but please don't stop stifle discussion on the forum about Tesla as in many ways that is the way all manufacturers should be heading.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Tesla remain a niche product due to their price point. That should not undermine the immense success they have achieved and how they have driven the EV market place; but at a price of over £55k for a basic model they will remain a fraction of both the main and EV markets. I hope they continue to succeed and via their Gigafactory drive the cost down. And maybe we will see a £30k mass market car here in the Uk in 2018.

Tesla's big issues are circa 2025 when all the major manufacturers will be producing £20k EV cars with 200-300 mile range. Will their expansion and economies of scale be able to take on Detroit. This was an excellent point made on Transport Evolved by John Voelcker last week .

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
You make a good point Grant. Once the big manufacturers catch up they already have the factories, staff and infrastructure in place and by rights should easily knock Tesla off the top step. The issue for me though is how long will that take because if they leave it too long Tesla will catch up and could become a dominant force in the car world in a few years.

·
Registered
352 Posts
U right lots of yest. Big giants just sat there think greens will come to them, and now.... E.g. Nokia, IBM to name a few and some like Microsoft and even apple are waking up. I know this is not directly EV stuff but it seem only Nissan partnership group is really taking EV stuff seriously (in mass market sense)., whilst likes of Toyota might get too far behind.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I too have stopped visiting and commenting due to the constant Tesla this and ZCW that, closely followed by some snipe at Ecotricity or anything that can't go more than 200 miles on a single charge. If someone constantly derided your choice of ICE car because you didn't have the latest £60k+ luxury barge you'd quickly tire of the banality of the comments.

I love my Leaf, and I too would get a Tesla in a heartbeat if I could, but that doesn't mean a car that has the range to do 90% of my journey needs is useless.

I'm not suggesting that Tesla discussion isn't welcome, I was as interested in the UK launch as anyone but it's the one-sided and barely hidden agenda of some posters that means I'll just continue to enjoy my Leaf and leave the forum to those who want to continue bolstering the Tesla marketing CV.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts