Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get a "better" dongle for LEAFSpy. I have two older ones currently and of the two, the small "ELM327 mini" doesnt work (leafspy gives some error about it not supporting some command) and the other one does work, but its the larger form factor and hits my shin while driving.

I ordered a LELink2 in the hope that spending a bit more on something "Branded" would help, but i'm having trouble with it.

it seems to work a little differently to the other dongles by the way it pairs. Initially it didnt seem to work at all. It has an app which talks to it which wouldnt work right becuase it hadnt properly requested permissions but eventually figured that out and got it to connect.

Messed about with leafspy and i managed to get it to communicate with the car off, it all seemed to work, but the moment i turn the car on, the dongle drops out and stops communicating. The only way to get it to start working again, is to turn the car off, and unplug the dongle and then plug it back in. If i plug it in with the car on, again, no comms at all.

Any ideas whats going on here?

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I use an OBDLink LX which I already had for Canion for my Peugeot Ion - it works perfectly with Leafspy on Android, however being a Bluetooth 3 device it has to be explicitly paired in Android Bluetooth settings and it only works with Android not iOS.

It's not a cheap adaptor though (as it uses the more advanced STN11xx chipset not the cheaper ELM327) and is a bit overkill for Leafspy to be honest, as Leafspy is only using it in ELM327 emulation mode. (But hey if I already had it and it works, it works!)

It has an automatic standby mode which drops the power drawn from 60mA to 2mA after 10 minutes of inactivity so it can be left permanently plugged in without worrying about discharging the 12v battery - in fact I've had mine plugged in permanently since I've had the car. It automatically wakes up when it sees the sudden increase in battery voltage when the car is turned on. It sticks out a little bit but doesn't come anywhere near my leg and I haven't managed to catch it on my leg when entering or exiting the car yet.

The LeLink2 appears to be Bluetooth LE (4) so it doesn't "pair" with your device the same way an older Bluetooth 3 or earlier adaptor does. Bluetooth LE devices work in both Android and iOS, and are directly accessed in the App without going through bluetooth settings in the operating system. Leafspy has a separate option for BLE devices although I've never tried it as I don't have one.

The suggestion of the extension cable is a good one if a device is a bit unweildy and sticks out too far - I have a small OBD-II splitter cable with each half being about 30cm long - I used this in the Ion as the OBD-II socket there pointed downwards so I kept bumping the pair button on the adaptor with my leg... so I mounted it somewhere else.

So you could mount the adaptor somewhere else with some double sided sticky tap and run the splitter extension cable there. Just make sure the adaptor you use has an automatic standby mode if it's permanently connected so it doesn't discharge the 12v battery.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I use one of these: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PJPHEBO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Although when I bought it the price was under £10.00 !!
It pairs easily and retains the pairing, like Simon I leave it permanently plugged in with the splitter cable so there is another socket for Nissan to stick their probes into without dismantling everything.
It doesn't drain the 12v battery, I have a cheap £65 8" phablet permanently linked to it displaying Leafspy when I start the car. It all works automatically without me having to touch anything. I utilise an old Garmin heavy bean bag which sits on one of those sticky silicon mats you get in Poundland above the centre console on the dash. It never moves, even when going up and down Zig-Zag Hill in Shaftesbury!
Tony.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a Google Pixel 3. Splitter/extension idea could well work, but i doubt my old chinese dongle is one of the ones with the nice "power saving" features. I quite liked that the LELink (supposedly) turns itself off when there is no activity.

I just cant tell if the LELink is faulty, or if its some conflict with the phone/car or i'm doing something daft. The LEAFSpy software has the LELink2 as their recommended dongle now, hence i figured that would give me the best experience, and instead its not working properly at all.

I can still return it, but do i get another one the same, or do i get something else?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Aragorn - As with all fault-finding procedures, follow logical steps. You say you have 2 dongles, one which works and one which does not.
What does that tell you?
The smaller one is either a) Faulty or b) does not play nicely with the car/Pixel combination.
If you are set on pursuing this dongle, try with another Android device first.
If that doesn't work give it up and get another.
Tony.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, i have three dongles.

My original "large" one (unbranded chinese job), which i've had for probably 6+ years which works fine.
Something like this: ELM327 V1.5 OBDII Bluetooth Diagnostic OBD2 Car Scanner Tool Fault Code Reader 637045164093 | eBay

An "ELM327 Mini" which i;ve had for a few years and doesnt work with an error saying it doesnt support a command required by LEAFSpy
Something like this: Mini ELM327 V2.1 OBD2 II Bluetooth Diagnostic Car Auto Interface Scanner UK 6940053801695 | eBay

Then the LELink2 that i've just bought:

The original one works perfectly, and i've used it a lot with the LEAF. Its just big and hits my leg.

I dug out the small one and it didnt work at all, so i looked to see what the recommended dongle for LEAFSpy was and ended up with the LELink2

I will try the LELink again today, maybe with my wifes phone or one of the kids tablets, however she also has a Pixel. Given the LELink works fine until you power the car on, i suspect its not a phone issue, its a problem with the dongle itself. Why would turning the car on cause the dongle to crap out though?!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tony - hijacking this thread (but only a little bit), looking at the images you posted earlier of your car dashboard, I noticed that the infotainment (dreadful word) screen in the first image seems to be standing out some 10 mm or so. Is this correct, or is it a feature of the image? I ask this as I have a similar issue with the screen in my own car.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Aragorn- You ask "Why would turning the car on cause the dongle to crap out though?!"

The answer to that is the dongle may have a faulty or very poor in-line filter on the power input line.
The spike/surge of power when the car is switched on is causing it to fail.
These things are all made in China with the cheapest components possible. One batch may just work fine in any given scenario, another will just fail, the components are not made to very stringent specifications.
Tony.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Tony - hijacking this thread (but only a little bit), looking at the images you posted earlier of your car dashboard, I noticed that the infotainment (dreadful word) screen in the first image seems to be standing out some 10 mm or so. Is this correct, or is it a feature of the image? I ask this as I have a similar issue with the screen in my own car.
@Gospelman - I'm not sure what you mean-standing out 10mm? Do you mean the screen angles up from the bottom of it's base about 10mm on switch-on? Yes it does, personally I wish it stayed flat against the dash which would minimise reflection issues. It's a typical design thing, form always trumps function in designers minds....
Tony.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for that, Tony. Sorry I wasn't clear, yes I did mean angling up from the bottom on startup. My issue is that when I first bought my car 11 months ago, it didn't do this, it has only started doing this within the past few weeks. When I power down it reverts to being flush with the fascia, but it doesn't do this every time. I assumed it was a fault developing, but after your comment I don't think that it is - perhaps it's designed to do this.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
My screen is perfectly flush and straight when closed.

I’d suggest both of yours are out of adjustment or have jumped a few teeth on the rack and pinion drive!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine is flush too... There is a "Tilt" button, perhaps thats been used to adjust it? I've never tried.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Mine is flush too... There is a "Tilt" button, perhaps thats been used to adjust it? I've never tried.
You’ve seriously never pushed the open/tilt button ? Give it a try. Watch your fingers though. :)

Worst feature ever for those with toddlers...

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Mystery solved. If you hold the button down instead of a quick press you can get three different tilt adjustments! Did not know that...

Easier to notice if you have the UI confirmation beeps enabled as it will beep twice once you hold it down long enough.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've not really paid much attention to the stock entertainment system as it seems pretty crap. It tends to just get set to DAB, Forth One and left like that.

Infact only the other day i figured out why it would randomly turn the music down near speed cameras. Theres a menu option for "guidance volume" which sets the volume of the navigation instructions (which i never use). Someone had turned that right down, so the voice couldnt be heard. This control also applies to the speed camera warnings. So it would turn the music down to play the camera warning, but the warning itself was inaudiable as the guidance volume was at zero.

As for the LELink, i just tried again this morning. Part of the issue i think was caused by the LeLink app fighting with Leafspy? they both seem to stay running in the background and that means they both end up stuck.

Started the car, plugged the dongle in, started leafspy and it worked.

Turned the car off and it froze, but closing and reopening leafspy seemed to get it to connect again.

Will try it out more today while out and about, but certainly experience thus far is that its somewhat "flakey" compared with the older unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
DBMandrake you're my hero today! Just been out to the car and had a play and the "tilt" button responded exactly as you described and I even had the bleeps. Normal service has now been resumed. I wonder if Tony has picked this up? Seriously, though, I don't think that I've seen this feature mentioned in the handbook, but it's so big it's hard to take in everything described there.

·
Registered
391 Posts
DBMandrake you're my hero today! Just been out to the car and had a play and the "tilt" button responded exactly as you described and I even had the bleeps. Normal service has now been resumed. I wonder if Tony has picked this up? Seriously, though, I don't think that I've seen this feature mentioned in the handbook, but it's so big it's hard to take in everything described there.
Another example of how these forums are so helpful, thanks @DBMandrake
Tony

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I have the owners manual sitting in the house and have been trying to read my way through it but a month in I'm still nowhere near half way through due to its size and household distractions, and I had definitely not seen anything about holding this button down yet. It only occurred to me to try it after reading this thread and wondering why does it say Open/Tilt instead of just Open... doh.

In another thread I've just learnt two other tricks I didn't know yet - one is to hold down the recirculate button when the climate control is already in recirculate to put it into "auto recirculate" (blended recirculate) which it will confirm with two flashes. Haven't seen that in the manual. (Better for winter as only about 1/3rd of the air being heated is outside air)

Second trick - pulling the windscreen washer stalk in "wash" mode soon after the car has been turned off - this parks the wiper blades in a near vertical position so that if you get snow/ice overnight and the blades freeze to the screen they will do it high up where the heater will heat the glass sufficiently to unfreeze the blades. Better still the blades stay vertical when you turn the car back on until you manually operate the wipers. (So it wouldn't rip the blades off if they were still stuck) Must remember that in winter!

Third trick - this one I did find through reading the manual. Soon after the car is turned off, pull the headlight stalk towards you (high beam momentary flash) between one and four times.

For each pull this causes the low beams to remain on for 30 seconds after you exit and lock the car so you can find your way to your front door. (Four pulls gives a maximum of 2 minutes) Brilliant. :)

·
Registered
67:30 Black
53 Posts
I have the owners manual sitting in the house and have been trying to read my way through it but a month in I'm still nowhere near half way through due to its size and household distractions, and I had definitely not seen anything about holding this button down yet. It only occurred to me to try it after reading this thread and wondering why does it say Open/Tilt instead of just Open... doh.

In another thread I've just learnt two other tricks I didn't know yet - one is to hold down the recirculate button when the climate control is already in recirculate to put it into "auto recirculate" (blended recirculate) which it will confirm with two flashes. Haven't seen that in the manual. (Better for winter as only about 1/3rd of the air being heated is outside air)

Second trick - pulling the windscreen washer stalk in "wash" mode soon after the car has been turned off - this parks the wiper blades in a near vertical position so that if you get snow/ice overnight and the blades freeze to the screen they will do it high up where the heater will heat the glass sufficiently to unfreeze the blades. Better still the blades stay vertical when you turn the car back on until you manually operate the wipers. (So it wouldn't rip the blades off if they were still stuck) Must remember that in winter!

Third trick - this one I did find through reading the manual. Soon after the car is turned off, pull the headlight stalk towards you (high beam momentary flash) between one and four times.

For each pull this causes the low beams to remain on for 30 seconds after you exit and lock the car so you can find your way to your front door. (Four pulls gives a maximum of 2 minutes) Brilliant. :)
I took one look at the big fat owners manual and thought "naaahhhhh".

Number 1 and 2 I didn't know and they are gold.

Thank you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts