Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am trying to use Leafspy for the first time, i've tried a bluetooth OBD adaptor and a wifi one. Both presented with the below error when trying to connect:

Does anyone know how to resolve?

Adpators Tried so far:

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Perhaps obvious, but make sure the car is fully turned on before you launch Leafspy otherwise it will get stuck on the config stage.

Are you using Android or iOS ? I'd recommend using one of the adaptors recommended in the Leafspy documentation as not all will be compatible.

I use Leafspy with an OBDLink LX adaptor on Android (it's not iOS compatible) and it works fine however it is a fairly expensive adaptor (which I already had before buying a Leaf) and a bit overkill for Leafspy as there are some much cheaper adaptors which will work.

Trying searching on the forum as there have been plenty of recommendations made by people of specific models of adaptor that have worked for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps obvious, but make sure the car is fully turned on before you launch Leafspy otherwise it will get stuck on the config stage.

Are you using Android or iOS ? I'd recommend using one of the adaptors recommended in the Leafspy documentation as not all will be compatible.

I use Leafspy with an OBDLink LX adaptor on Android (it's not iOS compatible) and it works fine however it is a fairly expensive adaptor (which I already had before buying a Leaf) and a bit overkill for Leafspy as there are some much cheaper adaptors which will work.

Trying searching on the forum as there have been plenty of recommendations made by people of specific models of adaptor that have worked for them.
Thanks for taking the time. It’s iOS which unfortunately removes half the Bluetooth adaptors for some reason... I know LeafSpy recommends LeLink2 which is fairly pricey for what it is but if it works then I guess it works. If anyone can link what they’ve found compatible with iOS though it would be appreciated.

As for the leaf being fully on yes I tried everything. Off, on, partially on, on and drove it backwards and forwards...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
iOS doesnt allow normal bluetooth dongles to work due to Apples arbitrary restrictions. If you want to use bluetooth on iOS it needs to be a "Bluetooth LE" device, of which the LELink2 is one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iOS doesnt allow normal bluetooth dongles to work due to Apples arbitrary restrictions. If you want to use bluetooth on iOS it needs to be a "Bluetooth LE" device, of which the LELink2 is one.
The Bluetooth one I purchased does work with iOS. My phone says it’s connected but it still stops on Leaf config14 as shown in the image. Both readers get as far as that. Which is why I was wondering if blame didn’t fall on the obd readers.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Likely an incompatible adaptor (as in not supporting the full command set required) according to the line "Being stuck at state 14 normally means the OBDII adapter is not fully ELM327 compliant " in this thread:

No idea if it is a iOS issue too. Maybe try leafspy lite on an android device?

You read this?

I seem to recall there used to be a way of checking for one of the missing instructions from a terminal app, but no idea what it was now...

·
Registered
151 Posts
were you connected to the car, using the only connection.
I have this alot when I sit on a charger and forget to disconnect from the media system.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You could always buy a second hand android phone to run leafspy. Might be cheaper. ebay is your friend

1 - 8 of 8 Posts