Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being thoroughly disappointed with previously purchased adaptors I contacted Jim at LeafSpy for help. A prompt reply with the issue and recommendation of a suitable adaptor that DOES work with an iPhone! This one arrived via Amazon...

SDBI5823[1].JPG

Plugged into the OBD port, NO problems whatsover! Switch on BlueTooth, instant connection to LeafSpy and the data appears...

IMG_2522[1].PNG

IMG_2520[1].PNG

IMG_2518[1].PNG

IMG_2517[1].PNG

I'm pleased to see SOH at 92.5 :) Not bad for a four year old Leaf with 26.5 K !

Anything else to be interpreted from the data ? (it's a tad baffling to a newbie)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, The bits I know about:
SOH seems good
Cells look well balanced [9mV]
12V battery looks good [12.96V]
Somewhere in the settings you can change the temp to DegC (for Europe).
Looks pretty good to me.

·
Registered
40 Leaf
144 Posts
Hi I have just scanned my 2 year old leaf that I purchased last week that has only covered 4200 miles now for the fist time and I’m slightly confused.

This image is my first scan:

The first cell is low, I was shocked to find out it’s only has 1 rapid charge in its life!

so I wondered if it just needed a charge for that cell to come up so I plugged it into the rapid round the corner for 20 mins and scanned again:

it’s still super low, any ideas?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Weak cell?

Take reading at very loc charge and see what it shows.

But a 30KW Leaf will still be under battery warranty so its fine!

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
As low as you are willing to go, at least under 10%.
When did you last charge past 100% such that you did the full balancing cycle?

·
Registered
40 Leaf
144 Posts
Ive only has the car 10 days, it was 100% charged when I got it, I’ve been charging it to 80% and running it down to about 30-40% with my daily driving and then charging back to 80% should I just fully charge it and leave it plugged in a couple of hours past that?

·
Registered
40 Leaf
144 Posts
Ok I’m still trying to wrap my head around this right now, my car is reading 100% charge and it took 45 minutes to charge its last 2% I’ve just scanned it again and got this:

The first bar has completely disappeared now and the rest of the battery looks really well balanced, does leaf spy work properly with the 2018 leaf?

im wondering if the missing first bar is an incompatibility with the software?

I also have this:

does this mean my battery has lost 1.3% of its full capacity sine it was manufactured? Or is it only actually 98.7% charged?

·
Registered
197 Posts
As far as charge goes, lspy is reporting 98.7% does the gom show 100% ? if so then yes you have lost 1.3% of the capacity as Lspy reports actual soc%
As for cell 1 you need to change the scale in Lspy to see it better, it does look like a weak cell though

·
Registered
40 Leaf
144 Posts
Hi if I run it down to a very low SOC and it is a weak cell is it likely to have a sudden and dramatic loss of range and strand me as the battery gets low?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Leafspy usually shows two %. The one labelled SOC is the actual relative state of charge of the battery, and when fully charged usually shows around 98%. This is because some cells will be slightly lower than others.
The top % beside GIDS, shows an absolute %, based on a new battery. mine when fully charged will only show around 88% there, as the battery has lost some capacity with age. Yours is showing infinity which is odd, is it correctly set to LEAF40 in the settings?

You certainly appear to have a weak cell, the large number that says "83mv" and "93mv" is showing the difference between the fullest and emptiest cell. This value seems fairly high, i would expect something down in the 20mv sort of range. Whats also strange is it gets closer when discharged.

·
Registered
40 Leaf
144 Posts
Leafspy usually shows two %. The one labelled SOC is the actual relative state of charge of the battery, and when fully charged usually shows around 98%. This is because some cells will be slightly lower than others.
The top % beside GIDS, shows an absolute %, based on a new battery. mine when fully charged will only show around 88% there, as the battery has lost some capacity with age. Yours is showing infinity which is odd, is it correctly set to LEAF40 in the settings?

You certainly appear to have a weak cell, the large number that says "83mv" and "93mv" is showing the difference between the fullest and emptiest cell. This value seems fairly high, i would expect something down in the 20mv sort of range. Whats also strange is it gets closer when discharged.
Hi yes it’s definitely set up as 40kw 2018 leaf, I am planning to run the battery below 10% this weekend and do a fully charge on it to see if that improves things.

if I do that a couple of times and it doesn’t start to sort it out should I contact Nissan?

How are they likely to react to my findings, I can’t see that the use of leaf spy is approved by them

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
If it was mine i'd be contacting nissan, yes.

They have their own test (called the CVLI test)

Basically they take a number of readings of the cell voltages and the discrepancy between them at various states of charge, and apply a formula which says "good" or "bad".

Essentially the same thing as your looking at with LEAFSpy. I would just tell them you believe it has a bad cell and want a CVLI test performed. Others who have been thru the process will be able to chip in with their results.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
also, the first bar probably isnt missing, its just off the scale? If you press the scale i think it will change the range of the Y axis and the low cell should appear?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts

This chap had a similar 90mv discrepancy to you.

·
Registered
40 Leaf
144 Posts
If it was mine i'd be contacting nissan, yes.

They have their own test (called the CVLI test)

Basically they take a number of readings of the cell voltages and the discrepancy between them at various states of charge, and apply a formula which says "good" or "bad".

Essentially the same thing as your looking at with LEAFSpy. I would just tell them you believe it has a bad cell and want a CVLI test performed. Others who have been thru the process will be able to chip in with their results.
Hi thanks for that, I only purchased the car 10 days ago and it didn’t come from my local dealer, it was one 90 miles away that delivered it to me.

There picking it up on Monday to sort out a paintwork issue so I’ve just rung them and blagged it a bit, I told them that I have experienced a sudden drop in range when the battery was around 15% charged.

Ive said I’ve spoken to my local dealer about it and that they have suggested that I request a CVLI test is carried out by you while it is in the body shop next week.

He’s made the right noises and told me to email him with the request.

Fingers crossed it will all get sorted.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Hi if I run it down to a very low SOC and it is a weak cell is it likely to have a sudden and dramatic loss of range and strand me as the battery gets low?
No, not at that level. By "very low" I mean 10% which is below where you should go regularly.
You may find that the GOM reduces faster below 30%.

·
Registered
40 Leaf
144 Posts
Ok so Nissan have now agreed to run the CVLI test next week, I have run the car down to 15% SOC indicated on the dash (29.7%) on leaf spy today and re scanned and there is still a 50mv discrepancy, however the gap has narrow by 30mv at lower SOC.

Does this mean the cell is ok but just out of balance and may eventually even out?

From what I’ve seen of others experience the leaf BMS never seems to be able to rebalance a cell that has gone this out of whack.

I’m going to fully charge it again tonight as I’m driving about 90 miles tomorrow, I may give it a rapid if I can get it down to 20% and see what it looks like then.

Any insight on this?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Most BMS, including the LEAF, can only balance cells by discharging the "full" cells down to match the low cell. Then the whole pack gets charged up together as normal. The balancer can only discharge the full cells at a tiny rate, a few tens of mA.
If it is just a bit out of balance, then over time and normal use, they will eventually come good. However if its got out of balance due to having less capacity than the rest, then balancing isnt going to fix it, as no amount of discharging the other cells will enable the bad cell to hold more energy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts