Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2012 24kw upgraded to 40kw
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone remind me about whether the Leafspy readings include or exclude the 2kWh (?) reserved charge at the bottom/top of the battery ?

My 40kWh pack charges to an indicated 36kWh (94% Soh) on Leafspy. Does this reflect the 2 kWh at the top and bottom that are reserved to protect battery health, and can i use all 36 of those kWhs ?

I've found that my first gen still has a very pessimistic dash/bars display, following replacement of the 24 with a 40 pack. This weekend, i covered 103 miles at 50-60mph (speedo indicated - 10% less in reality), and used 26kWh - but arriving at my destination the dash showed two bars and a GoM of 40 miles. Given that i had 10kWh left, i'd have expected 40 miles (max). In general, i know i can do a 100 mile trip at around 60, but am starting to think about going further...

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,878 Posts
On my Leaf, leafspy often reports a higher SOC than the dash, which I assume is the buffers being taken into account.
There is no way to know whether it's accessible except by running the SOC to 0 (-- on the dash) but I have noticed when running it down to below 10% that the range does not drop as fast, as if extra range is being found in the last few percent and unlike some EVs, the car does not stop when the SOC reaches zero. (so the bottom buffer is being used to keep you going for a few more miles)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe that first gen Leafs had a full 'bar' worth of energy left after all were gone on the dash. In my situation, there's been a big change in how much a bar represents (it used to be about 4-5 miles but now with the 40 pack it's 10-12). So, i'm wondering whether the system is keeping more kWh hidden.

I'm still trying to source a LeafDD or find another way to easily show the true SoC in the battery - running Leafspy via the OBD2 is not ideal.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,878 Posts
Does the BMS 'know' it has a 40kwh battery to manage? (Not sure how it would if it just monitors the cell voltages)
So could it be keeping your extra 10kw hidden?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,878 Posts
You'll have to drive the car from 100% down to 5 or less to know whether you are getting the benefit of the larger battery.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
My 40kWh pack charges to an indicated 36kWh (94% Soh) on Leafspy. Does this reflect the 2 kWh at the top and bottom that are reserved to protect battery health, and can i use all 36 of those kWhs ?
the displayed 36kwh is the usable energy available in the pack, so yeah, you can use all 36kwh, thought obviously the car will stop when it gets to 0 :p

The missing part will be some buffers, and some pack degredation. A new 40 pack will have shown 38ish, suggesting around 2kwh of buffer. They have very little top buffer on these, they charge the cells right up to 4.2v. Yours showing 36 is due to 2kwh having gone missing thru degredation.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Does the BMS 'know' it has a 40kwh battery to manage? (Not sure how it would if it just monitors the cell voltages)
It will be the 40kwh BMS thats installed given what LEAFSpy is reporting.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
This weekend, i covered 103 miles at 50-60mph (speedo indicated - 10% less in reality), and used 26kWh - but arriving at my destination the dash showed two bars and a GoM of 40 miles. Given that i had 10kWh left, i'd have expected 40 miles (max). In general, i know i can do a 100 mile trip at around 60, but am starting to think about going further...
I'm not sure if you've made a typo here or what, but lets look at the numbers... you drove 103 miles and used 26kwh. That gives a consumption of around 3.96miles/kwh.

You had 10kwh left, so assuming the energy use continued similarly, you had another ~39miles before the car was stopped at the side of the road.

The GOM is always overly optimistic on a LEAF, but in this case 40 wasnt too far away. In reality however 30-35 miles will have had the dash lit up with all the warnings and the remaining range will have changed to ---.

I'm not really sure what you think is wrong?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure if you've made a typo here or what, but lets look at the numbers... you drove 103 miles and used 26kwh. That gives a consumption of around 3.96miles/kwh.

You had 10kwh left, so assuming the energy use continued similarly, you had another ~39miles before the car was stopped at the side of the road.

The GOM is always overly optimistic on a LEAF, but in this case 40 wasnt too far away. In reality however 30-35 miles will have had the dash lit up with all the warnings and the remaining range will have changed to ---.

I'm not really sure what you think is wrong?
I wasn't being clear... I felt that the GoM was 'probably about right' and i was more puzzled by why i had two bars (the ones in the red) left on the dash when i had 28% of the charge remaining (where 2 of 12 bars suggests 17% of the charge remaining). It seems a longstanding and general issue for the 1st Gen.

I'm considering something like;

as a way to see exactly what charge is left in real time (rather than booting up Leafspy every time...)

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,878 Posts
I wasn't being clear... I felt that the GoM was 'probably about right' and i was more puzzled by why i had two bars (the ones in the red) left on the dash when i had 28% of the charge remaining (where 2 of 12 bars suggests 17% of the charge remaining). It seems a longstanding and general issue for the 1st Gen.

I'm considering something like;

as a way to see exactly what charge is left in real time (rather than booting up Leafspy every time...)
How does this differ from LS? It just seems to have access to the same data.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you drove 103 miles and used 26kwh. That gives a consumption of around 3.96miles/kwh.
Yep, and i'm thinking of making the inserts to make the wheels Aero/more efficient, and blanking the front grille. It might increase the efficiency up towards 4.5 (though i'd expect only about a 5% increase in efficiency/range ?). OK, this may be dangerously obsessive...

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,878 Posts
Yep, and i'm thinking of making the inserts to make the wheels Aero/more efficient, and blanking the front grille. It might increase the efficiency up towards 4.5 (though i'd expect only about a 5% increase in efficiency/range ?). OK, this may be dangerously obsessive...
Go on a diet too!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How does this differ from LS? It just seems to have access to the same data.
I'd guess it's derived from the same data as what Leafspy uses, the only possible advantage is being able to display it continuously and a little more conveniently than Leafspy.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,878 Posts
I'd guess it's derived from the same data as what Leafspy uses, the only possible advantage is being able to display it continuously and a little more conveniently than Leafspy.
It has a faster update than LS? I haven't tried LS whilst driving and it does tie up the bluetooth on my phone.
It's a pity the app could not be installed in the touchscreen, then it would be very useful.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Go on a diet too!
Thanks, my BMI is between 23-24. No salad-dodging here.

The 4miles/kWh were with two adults and my teenage son, plus a few bags.

I've wondered about ditching the fire extinguisher that came with the car (a leftover from Perth council i suspect). If the thing was on fire then i'd stand well back and let nature take its course or wait until the professionals showed up :)

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
It has a faster update than LS? I haven't tried LS whilst driving and it does tie up the bluetooth on my phone.
It's a pity the app could not be installed in the touchscreen, then it would be very useful.
I use LEAFSpy with one of the Bluetooth LE dongles. Doesnt seem to interfere with the normal bluetooth handsfree functionality at all. I have the phone in a holder on the dash and can pop open LEAFSpy and have it visible while driving along.

Quite handy, for instance yesterday i got a TPMS warning on the motorway. Opened LEAFSpy and could see the drivers front was at 33psi. Kept an eye on it and it stayed at 33psi so i was happy to continue the journey without worrying.

·
Registered
609 Posts
@badman-
I have this setup: Replacing Head Unit + OVMS

Leafspy auto-starts and runs permanently from my panalong Btooth module. Doesn't interfere with my 'phone or music etc on btooth.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@badman-
I have this setup: Replacing Head Unit + OVMS

Leafspy auto-starts and runs permanently from my panalong Btooth module. Doesn't interfere with my 'phone or music etc on btooth.
I've followed the posts on head unit replacement - including the Dala replacement (nice). Alas, i'm too lazy and electrically inept to start messing with the head unit. Of course, this may change if the option to fit something properly modern came along (erm, it'd need to be Apple car-play compatible, i'm lazy about that too...). The ability to have a sat nav that doesn't look like something out of the 1980s with out of date maps would also be a bonus; i rarely use the current unit because either SWMBO is directing me, or i know where i'm going (in response to earlier instructions from SWMBO !).
Plugging in a LeafDD is my best plan so far - and i'd admit it's not a very cunning one...

·
Registered
609 Posts
I've followed the posts on head unit replacement - including the Dala replacement (nice). Alas, i'm too lazy and electrically inept to start messing with the head unit. Of course, this may change if the option to fit something properly modern came along (erm, it'd need to be Apple car-play compatible, i'm lazy about that too...). The ability to have a sat nav that doesn't look like something out of the 1980s with out of date maps would also be a bonus; i rarely use the current unit because either SWMBO is directing me, or i know where i'm going (in response to earlier instructions from SWMBO !).
Plugging in a LeafDD is my best plan so far - and i'd admit it's not a very cunning one...
Sorry I forgot you are an apple fanboyo_O
The other thing is I can run Sygic on it to see traffic in real time, other apps will do the same, waze, even Google can show real-time traffic. The Nissan traffic updates are a pretty dreadful offering and difficult to see when driving. The Sygic one is clear and unambiguous, at a glance the roads with traffic show up as red lines so I know where to avoid.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts