Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
9,330 Posts
This is notoriously difficult to be definitive about. The battery capacity varies with temperature a fair bit so just because your battery is only getting 266 GIDS at 100% that in itself may not indicate a problem.

A brand new battery should show 281-284 GIDS but that is at 15-20degC not in cold temps. I would expect it to take less charge if the ambient temperature was much below 15 degs which it has been overnight recently.

Given the temps we have overnight at the moment it might be normal.

Before I got worried I would charge it at 15degC and see what you get. Today might be a good day for it but wait until this afternoon so the battery can warm up a bit.

· Registered
9,330 Posts
Incidentally, on the first page of LeafSpy (the voltage for each of the 96 cells) the display for all but two of the cells has now turned red instead of blue. I gather this something to do with "shunting" but don't understand what this is. Does anyone know where I can find an explanation. Thanks.
The way I understand it is that a shunt is a resistance across a cell to provide a load. The Battery Management System (BMS) controls the shunts as a means to balance the voltages between the cells in the pack. How and when they are switched on and off is complex and controlled by the BMS.

I have yet to find any reason why we might be interested in when the shunts are on or off and so I just ignore the red/blue colours. If anyone can tell me what use that info might be then I am all ears.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.