Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3.5 year old 24kwh leaf which showed 93.5% SOH in LeafSpy when we acquired it second-hand in May 2019. Checked today and SOH is now showing as 100.5%.

This is clearly a load of cobblers on a couple of levels ( > 100%, gain of 7%).

I'm beginning to think the SOH shown in LeafSpy needs to be taken with such a large dose of salt that it's effectively worthless, but does anyone want to try restoring my faith?

·
Registered
41 Posts
My car was 90.4% when first checked. Then rose to 93.8% after a couple of weeks. Two weeks ago did a long run with 4 rapid charges in 2 days which bumped it up to 96.4%, now still at 95.7%.

The car is a 2017 30kwh with 6900 miles when we got it in October and 9100 miles now. I was concerned about the SoH at first but it clearly moves around a lot so one reading isn't that useful.

·
Registered
233 Posts
100% Would be the expected capacity when new. If you had particularly good cells you could easily see over 100%. Depending on how you treat the battery, the SOH can definitely go up as well as down. Especially if you bought it after it had sat at a dealership unused for a little while, and then brought it into normal use again you could cause this to go back up for example. Actions like a few rapid charge sessions will also raise the health temporarily, and then drop down again after a while.

SOH Reading definitely isn't worthless. It is handy to know, especially when buying a car. But constantly watching it doesn't help. It just gives you a rough guide of how the health is over time, would highlight any issues to worry about, but mostly is best to ignore as long as your car is living up to your requirements day to day.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I have a 3.5 year old 24kwh leaf which showed 93.5% SOH in LeafSpy when we acquired it second-hand in May 2019. Checked today and SOH is now showing as 100.5%.

This is clearly a load of cobblers on a couple of levels ( > 100%, gain of 7%).

I'm beginning to think the SOH shown in LeafSpy needs to be taken with such a large dose of salt that it's effectively worthless, but does anyone want to try restoring my faith?
To be fair, it won't be Leafspy's fault. It is only passing on what the battery management ECU in the car is reporting...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts