Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7:30am today, my nearly new Leaf E+ N-Tec arrived, having been driven up from Bristol Street Motors, Darlington and my Honda CRZ hybrid driven away.
This is the first newish car I've bought remotely but everything went smoothly, well once we'd established that the finance company's app only works on Chrome, not on Firefox.
The Gun Metal grey looks good as do the half leather seats, love the heated steering wheel, not so keen on the feel-less power steering but it's alien to someone who has been driving almost 50years not to hear an engine or feel gear changes. I am puzzled as to why the PRD selector works back to front - I'd expect D was forward and R was back but its the other way. There's probably a nerdy reason. Performance from the 160kw motor is effortless and E-pedal mode is perfect for the narrow winding road near home.
The service from the dealer was great, with helpful videos provided and straightforward E-signing processes.

·
Registered
VW e-Up! 2020
106 Posts
The PRD sequence is the same in ICE automatics. I don't know the original reason but in the Leaf I guess they just copied what drivers are familiar with.

·
Registered
Renault Zoé ZE50 (on order)
55 Posts
LOL - I guess you've never driven an automatic transmission car? I'm 40 and it's always been PRND(3/2/1). Makes sense when you're always backing out of a spot.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL - I guess you've never driven an automatic transmission car? I'm 40 and it's always been PRND(3/2/1). Makes sense when you're always backing out of a spot.
Funnily enough, I had a C5 auto until last June but I always used it in sequential mode (+-) and didn't pay any attention to the PRND mode (obviously!)
But isn't PRND selected by moving a gear lever? On the Leaf there isn't a lever, the sprung return knob moves right and forward for reverse, or right and back for D (or repeat for B) so I can't see it making a difference to safety either way. No N, just press the knob centre for P.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,799 Posts
Funnily enough, I had a C5 auto until last June but I always used it in sequential mode (+-) and didn't pay any attention to the PRND mode (obviously!)
But isn't PRND selected by moving a gear lever? On the Leaf there isn't a lever, the sprung return knob moves right and forward for reverse, or right and back for D (or repeat for B) so I can't see it making a difference to safety either way. No N, just press the knob centre for P.
There definitely is a neutral. Just pull the shifter towards you for that.

It's just for tradition to keep it in line with all other cars. Toyota's ICE and Hybrid vehicles have the same style of spring loaded knob and are the exact same layout too. In fact the only vehicle I can think of that has the sort of design you are describing is the BMW i3 where you move it forwards for D and backwards for R. Everything else I have seen from memory is the traditional PRND/B Design.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There definitely is a neutral. Just pull the shifter towards you for that.

It's just for tradition to keep it in line with all other cars. Toyota's ICE and Hybrid vehicles have the same style of spring loaded knob and are the exact same layout too. In fact the only vehicle I can think of that has the sort of design you are describing is the BMW i3 where you move it forwards for D and backwards for R. Everything else I have seen from memory is the traditional PRND/B Design.
You are not wrong. I never read the handbooks and have only driven it about 20miles with no need to use N. I have to say that the downside to all the technology is the voluminous owners manuals explaining it all!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
You are not wrong. I never read the handbooks and have only driven it about 20miles with no need to use N. I have to say that the downside to all the technology is the voluminous owners manuals explaining it all!
Yeah, I admit I only really know of it's existence out of laziness. The only time I ever use N is going through the drive-thru car washes for being pulled along the conveyor belt. Other than that there really never is any need to use that gear at all!

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
742 Posts
To select neutral in a LEAF you have to pull the gear selector towards you and hold it there for a few seconds before it works.

I occasionally use neutral if I want to coast down a long shallow incline, and I’m a bit low in charge for the rest of my days driving.

A much quicker way of selecting neutral when you want to do this and you are travelling at speed is instead of pulling the selector towards you and holding it there for 2 seconds before it responds and disengages drive is to try and select reverse.

When you do this it beeps at you twice and instantly kicks to neutral.

it’s much quicker and smoother when you decide you want to coast.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
N has some use. EVs are notorious for the rear discs rusting badly due to getting no exercise at all. So it's not a bad idea to occasionally slip into N, then brake, and as there's no regen at all, the car uses all 4 discs to slow down. Useful to polish them up occasionally, also to dry them thoroughly after a wash/rain. This is part of the reason VW fitted drums to ID.3 at the back.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
N has some use. EVs are notorious for the rear discs rusting badly due to gettign no exercise at all. So it's not a bad idea to occasionally slip into N, then brake, and as there's no regen at all, the car uses all 4 discs to slow down. Useful to polish them up occasionally, also to dry them thoroughly after a wash/rain. This is part of the reason VW fitted drums to ID.3 at the back.
That's a good point. Using E-pedal worked well today on the narrow country lanes so I need to keep an eye on the discs if I continue to use it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
That's a good point. Using E-pedal worked well today on the narrow country lanes so I need to keep an eye on the discs if I continue to use it.
I’ve driven 10k miles using e-pedal now, mainly city, the leaf does seem to keep its rear discs clean without any such intervention.

I’ve had other hybrids that don’t though, I don’t think you really have to worry about the leafs rear discs.

They don’t seem to get rusty at all.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
582 Posts
A much quicker way of selecting neutral when you want to do this and you are travelling at speed is instead of pulling the selector towards you and holding it there for 2 seconds before it responds and disengages drive is to try and select reverse
You're a braver person than me. I have never attempted to put any car into reverse when driving at speed, because I have never dared to find out if the car is clever enough to refuse. I'd have visions of something loud clanking and something big and heavy flying out of the bonnet.

·
Registered
742 Posts
You're a braver person than me. I have never attempted to put any car into reverse when driving at speed, because I have never dared to find out if the car is clever enough to refuse. I'd have visions of something loud clanking and something big and heavy flying out of the bonnet.
The leaf is very much “computer says no!”

It’s not really a gear selector, more of a toggle switch, totally fly by wire, you ask it nicely and if that request isn’t stupid it obliges. 😂

It’s an instant way to select neutral, the other way is very sluggish!

·
Registered
742 Posts
7:30am today, my nearly new Leaf E+ N-Tec arrived, having been driven up from Bristol Street Motors, Darlington and my Honda CRZ hybrid driven away.
This is the first newish car I've bought remotely but everything went smoothly, well once we'd established that the finance company's app only works on Chrome, not on Firefox.
The Gun Metal grey looks good as do the half leather seats, love the heated steering wheel, not so keen on the feel-less power steering but it's alien to someone who has been driving almost 50years not to hear an engine or feel gear changes. I am puzzled as to why the PRD selector works back to front - I'd expect D was forward and R was back but its the other way. There's probably a nerdy reason. Performance from the 160kw motor is effortless and E-pedal mode is perfect for the narrow winding road near home.
The service from the dealer was great, with helpful videos provided and straightforward E-signing processes.
By the way the charging flap has a little rubber bumper under it, when you have plugged it in drop the flap so it rests on the top of the charging plug, this helps keep everything dry when it rains heavily.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By the way the charging flap has a little rubber bumper under it, when you have plugged it in drop the flap so it rests on the top of the charging plug, this helps keep everything dry when it rains heavily.
Thanks for the tip. Charged from 24% to 68% in 10hours (12noon to 10pm) using the granny charger, and I kept checking the wall socket for overheating, which didn't happen. So an overnight charge would have fully charged it. I plan on not charging until there is 25-30% remaining rather than topping it up every day. I expect this to be weekly, allowing for using the heated steering wheel, seat and heating but we shall see.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,741 Posts
Regarding the gear selector. The ID3 follows the i3 arrangement. Push forward to go forward. Push back to go backwards.

It seems very intuitive to me coming from a lifetime of manual gearboxes. As an aside, I have accidentally selected N a couple of times by selecting R when the car is still rolling forward slightly. A great self preservation function in the computer to cater for sloppy drivers.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Regarding the gear selector. The ID3 follows the i3 arrangement. Push forward to go forward. Push back to go backwards.

It seems very intuitive to me coming from a lifetime of manual gearboxes. As an aside, I have accidentally selected N a couple of times by selecting R when the car is still rolling forward slightly. A great self preservation function in the computer to cater for sloppy drivers.
Yes that is logical, so who knows why Nissan have to be counterintuitive. You soon get used to it, however.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Charged from 24% to 68% in 10hours (12noon to 10pm) using the granny charger, and I kept checking the wall socket for overheating, which didn't happen. So an overnight charge would have fully charged it. I plan on not charging until there is 25-30% remaining rather than topping it up every day. I expect this to be weekly, allowing for using the heated steering wheel, seat and heating but we shall see.
Highly recommend a home wall charger, apart from it being a lot quicker, nothing beats 15 seconds of plugging it into a wall charger than the few minutes of plugging it into a wall plug when it's pouring with rain...snow... blizzard... hurricane!

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did my first rapid charge this morning at the only working, free point for miles. The local taxi driver had his Leaf plugged in so I took the dogs walkies to arrive back as he was leaving.
I had 55% remaining and it took about 50mins for a 25% charge to 80% or 2mins per %, or 3mins per kwh (15kw delivered). I won't need to use it very often.
I'm thinking of switching my Octopus to OctopusGo. 4 hours per night with the granny charger (~9kwh) costing 45p is more than enough for my daily use. When lockdown has been relaxed (next year if ever), I'll invest in a 7kw charger.

The car is great, e-pedal brilliant and the Propilot steering assist was amusing - thought it was the icy roads to begin with. The Android phone app works - good to be able to turn the heating on remotely whilst charging although its a bit clunky and the battery was stated as 'fully charged' when at 55%. The car receives the command in a few seconds, long before the app has updated, same for the charging %.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I did my first rapid charge this morning at the only working, free point for miles. The local taxi driver had his Leaf plugged in so I took the dogs walkies to arrive back as he was leaving.
I had 55% remaining and it took about 50mins for a 25% charge to 80% or 2mins per %, or 3mins per kwh (15kw delivered). I won't need to use it very often.
I'm thinking of switching my Octopus to OctopusGo. 4 hours per night with the granny charger (~9kwh) costing 45p is more than enough for my daily use. When lockdown has been relaxed (next year if ever), I'll invest in a 7kw charger.

The car is great, e-pedal brilliant and the Propilot steering assist was amusing - thought it was the icy roads to begin with. The Android phone app works - good to be able to turn the heating on remotely whilst charging although its a bit clunky and the battery was stated as 'fully charged' when at 55%. The car receives the command in a few seconds, long before the app has updated, same for the charging %.
It sounds like you tried to charge it with a very cold battery. Rapid charging works best just after a nice long journey when you have warmed the battery pack and got it down to a low level of charge remaining. That's when you will see the fastest charge speeds.

If you are wanting to get a home charger I would probably say to do so now while the grant is still available. I'm not sure it will be around for too much longer the way things are going with the government hemorrhaging money at the moment with COVID-19 and looking for ways to save.

The app isn't the greatest thing in the world, but very handy when it works. Expect it to just stop updating for days at a time and the preconditioning to just stop working every now and then. It's improved from when it first started, but even today it's far from reliable.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts