Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
In my Leaf, E-pedal will stop the car if you stay off the gas for long enough which must mean the brakes are applied. The handbook states this as well and it works.
An unpowered motor, even with the reduction gear can't stop the vehicle and you are advised never to tow it with the front wheels on the ground because this will turn the motor. (obviously there isn't a mechanical neutral, its just the motor power cut off)

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
742 Posts
I have had 4 Hybrid / PHEV’s now, I usually buy them with low milage between 18 months and 2 years old (someone else stands the heavy depreciation that way)

They have all had one thing in common, the rear brake discs have always been in terrible condition.

Regenerative braking is a fantastic thing but you never get the full lifespan out of rear discs on most hybrid cars because they end up prematurely scored pitted and lipped from corrosion.

The leaf however doesn’t seem to suffer this, brakes are designed to be used, the leaf seems to make enough use of its friction brakes to keep them in good condition.

I’m still expecting to get 40k miles + out of a set of brakes though, as I would estimate that they are only used about 1/3 as much as an ICE.

They just don’t seem to dissolve from lack of use.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Overnight infotainment update.
I climbed into the car yesterday morning and upon pressing the 'on' button, found the display had been updated. The menu screen is different as is the map screen, with more icons on it. It must have been via 4g as the car is too far from my BT wifi hub.

·
Registered
119 Posts
DFt question but wh
Checkout the instant price rise: £200 overnight, just after I ordered one fortunately.

Paid £255 but probably have to pay vat of 50 so about £320 in all (same would apply to the new price)
Out of interest why did you not think about getting the ohme 32amp commando cable for £199 from octopus an just get a 32amp commando socket fitted?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
DFt question but wh

Out of interest why did you not think about getting the ohme 32amp commando cable for £199 from octopus an just get a 32amp commando socket fitted?
I prefered a wall mounting unit with tethered cable. As a retired electrician, I can do the whole installation myself so there is only cost of the parts.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I prefered a wall mounting unit with tethered cable. As a retired electrician, I can do the whole installation myself so there is only cost of the parts.
So why you could not have just cut the 32amp commando plug off an wired it directly then which essentially would be the same as their wall mounted tethered unit and the fact they are smaller and neater than most other wall mounted power supply units and their app also works with octopus and have leaf integration.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
So why you could not have just cut the 32amp commando plug off an wired it directly then which essentially would be the same as their wall mounted tethered unit and the fact they are smaller and neater than most other wall mounted power supply units and their app also works with octopus and have leaf integration.
You must be an Ohme salesman giving me the hard sell!:)
Seriously, I took one look at it and decided i didn't want another portable unit. Also, not sure it is intended for permanent outdoor mounting. Of course your suggestion is workable and an IP67 Polycarbonate outdoor cabinet would make a suitable weatherproof housing for it and a 32a socket.
In fact I intend to use one to house the cable, or possibly use a larger one for the Lefanev charger and its cable.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You must be an Ohme salesman giving me the hard sell!:)
Seriously, I took one look at it and decided i didn't want another portable unit. Also, not sure it is intended for permanent outdoor mounting. Of course your suggestion is workable and an IP67 Polycarbonate outdoor cabinet would make a suitable weatherproof housing for it and a 32a socket.
In fact I intend to use one to house the cable, or possibly use a larger one for the Lefanev charger and its cable.
Hahaha no not a salesman im just curious as to why someone would opt to pay more for less, its the same as their outdoor unit, as for the lefnev its still not a charger its just a power supply for your vehicles onboard charger that may or may not have as good on board components as the Ohme. I geeked out for weeks looking at cheap yet safe power supply units and I couldn't find anything that came close to ohme tho if I had the money I'd have a Viridian EV v charge as everything seems replaceable/modular.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
The Ohme is also not a charger - nothing with a type 2 plug is. The charger is built into the vehicle - 6.6kw in my Leaf.
All the 'chargers' are not much more than intelligent switches, which receive commands from the vehicle to turn the AC on or off, advise it what current is available and provide leakage protection. Hence the types with a current control or setting, are not limiting the power, they are simply telling the vehicle what power is available.
The difference in price is more likely to be about what protection for leakage and overcurrent they provide.
The Ohme struck me as nothing more than a granny charger with 32amp capability instead of 13 and this put me off.
When the Lefanev arrives I will know more about its functionality and eventually, its reliability.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The Ohme is also not a charger - nothing with a type 2 plug is. The charger is built into the vehicle - 6.6kw in my Leaf.
All the 'chargers' are not much more than intelligent switches, which receive commands from the vehicle to turn the AC on or off, advise it what current is available and provide leakage protection. Hence the types with a current control or setting, are not limiting the power, they are simply telling the vehicle what power is available.
The difference in price is more likely to be about what protection for leakage and overcurrent they provide.
The Ohme struck me as nothing more than a granny charger with 32amp capability instead of 13 and this put me off.
When the Lefanev arrives I will know more about its functionality and eventually, its reliability.
Yeah I still don't get how companies get away with advertising everything as 'wall chargers' when they are basically power supplies.

When I was looking at most wall mounted units they contained the same electronics as the ohme/a granny cable and nothing more, most have zero protection and need other addons to get to the legal requirements. And the all seem inflated for what they are just because of the government grant.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Yeah I still don't get how companies get away with advertising everything as 'wall chargers' when they are basically power supplies.

When I was looking at most wall mounted units they contained the same electronics as the ohme/a granny cable and nothing more, most have zero protection and need other addons to get to the legal requirements. And the all seem inflated for what they are just because of the government grant.
Yes 100% agree. I am providing additional protection - 50a double pole mcb at the conusmer unit end to protect the cable to a 45a 10ma RCBO (with its own 4' earthing rod), inside the porch adjacent to where the EV will go on the outside. I did consider building one from scratch using the parts from Vridian etc, but there wouldn't be much of a saving and too much of a risk of wrecking the Leaf with a diy one. The other one I did consider was a Que ev unit as my local pharmacist has one to charge his Renault prescription delivery van and his new Merc EQC.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The Levanev 7kw Type 2 'charger' was delivered by Fedex this morning and as yet, no vat or other fees have been asked for. So it was a bargain at £254, especially when the price increased to £466 a few days after I paid for it.
It looks a decent bit of kit and, weather permitting, it'll be up and running by the weekend.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The Levanev 7kw Type 2 'charger' was delivered by Fedex this morning and as yet, no vat or other fees have been asked for. So it was a bargain at £254, especially when the price increased to £466 a few days after I paid for it.
It looks a decent bit of kit and, weather permitting, it'll be up and running by the weekend.
It’s got the same guts inside as mine, it should be a solid reliable piece of kit!

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
LEAFY IN THE SNOW.
We had our first snow worth mentioning 3 days ago - about 30-40cm with a bit more today.
I've been out on my usual daily 5mile each way journey and the car behaved impeccably. Half the journey is on single track untreated roads, so fresh snow, compacted snow, slush and everything in between and even on some quite steep stretches there was rarely a hint of the ESP kicking in. I put this down to the very smooth power delivery of an electric motor, and the very fine throttle control afforded by using Eco+E-pedal. I wasn't initially impressed by the oem Dunlop Enasave tyres on wet or dry roads, but can't fault them in these conditions.
Of course the remote activation of the heating is a boon too.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
LEFANEV 32AMP CHARGER WORKING.
I've temporarily connected it in my porch to test it.
Putting out 26.4amps but the battery will be cold - probably around 0C or lower, due to overnight temperatures being -5C early this morning and -7c on thursday early am.

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
LEFANEV 32AMP CHARGER WORKING.
I've temporarily connected it in my porch to test it.
Putting out 26.4amps but the battery will be cold - probably around 0C or lower, due to overnight temperatures being -5C early this morning and -7c on thursday early am.
The leaf has a 6.6kW charger on board at full chat with your mains at 240v it will draw 27.5A that’s the limit of the charger so your only 1AE below full performance.

mine generally maxes out at 27.5A regardless but it still charges my 40 Leaf in the quoted 7 hours.

It adds about 25 miles of range per hour until it hits 95% then it slowly drops off to about 6A and then starts and stops a few times while it balances in the last 2%

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
It's adding about 12% per hour (I find it easier to work in % than miles) . Showing 54% after 2hours (from 25%) so should be full after the upcoming 4hour Octopus Go charge. My voltage readings are higher ~240 possibly because my mains is usually 250-255v.
What is the temperature reading from.?

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
255V? Hopefully doesn't go above 253! EVSEs are supposed to cut-out if voltage goes outside 207-253 range, as this suggests something's gone wrong on the supply. There have been cases of this overvoltage happening, and the customers have had to ask the DNO to reduce the voltage at the local substation to avoid it! So if you get an unexplained charge drop-out, this is one possible cause!

41 - 60 of 103 Posts