Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
778 Posts
It is hard to hear the difference between noise on or off, it's just a slight humming noise below the set speed ( the Zoe is louder ) If you drive slowly in a quiet place with the window open, press the switch on & off a few times you should be able to hear the difference but it is subtle & doubt if it realy helps pedestrians hear you approaching..
When my tyres are up for replacement I quite fancy trying the Cross Climates as the slight loss in range won't effect my usage but the better grip others have reported in the cold & wet would be more beneficial IMO..

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I was put off the Cross Climates on a C5 V6 I owned a few years ago. They were okay initially, although not very quiet, but when down to 3mm became terrible on greasy surfaces. I've no complaints in all conditions with the Primacy 4s and Goodyear's equivalent, their Efficient Grip Performance range.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You're right. I've never looked at the daily data before and the mileage is correct - did 29 this morning, but the energy data is nonsense - 0 consumed.

However I noticed that the data for yesterday seems okay, so perhaps its only updated after midnight for each day.
Yesterday - 16miles, 5.36kwh, 3.92 consumed, 1.44 regened, 20p cost.

Yet for the others, sometimes the data looks okay, other days nonsense. So,.
Yes you and @rikdud are right, there's no consistency with the daily usage figure. It tends to record the mileage accurately but sometimes gets the electricity usage wrong, missing out a journey for example. It doesn't correct itself over time so best to use it as a guide but nothing more. The app recently refreshed itself when it adopted the new Nissan logo so I wonder if that caused some gremlins.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Yes you and @rikdud are right, there's no consistency with the daily usage figure. It tends to record the mileage accurately but sometimes gets the electricity usage wrong, missing out a journey for example. It doesn't correct itself over time so best to use it as a guide but nothing more. The app recently refreshed itself when it adopted the new Nissan logo so I wonder if that caused some gremlins.
I wonder if it's nonsense if you have charged the car within the same 24hours? I hadn't charged it on saturday and the consumption looked sensible, but I did charge it today from 12.30am. so it would appear to have used minus kwhs, hence zero consumption is reported.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I was put off the Cross Climates on a C5 V6 I owned a few years ago. They were okay initially, although not very quiet, but when down to 3mm became terrible on greasy surfaces. I've no complaints in all conditions with the Primacy 4s and Goodyear's equivalent, their Efficient Grip Performance range.
Did the C5 have the hydraulic suspension setup? If so then maybe it was more sensitive to tread depth compared to normal springs & dampers, although in my experience most tyres will struggle with high torque outputs on greasy surfaces once down to 3mm.. Some counties have 3 or even 4mm as the min tread depth allowed which is why we end up with part worns in the UK.. I feel the min 1.6mm we have in the UK is far too low.. Year after year when I get some customers complaining of handling issues I find low tread below 3mm & or budget tyres are the issue, once New good branded rubber is fitted the cars are back to normal...
But have to say different cars can be very sensitive to rubber, one customer who owns a Merc has found over the years that only Continentals last & wear evenly, all other brands scrub out & wear very fast despite full four wheel alignment been checked on a regular basis..

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Did the C5 have the hydraulic suspension setup? If so then maybe it was more sensitive to tread depth compared to normal springs & dampers, although in my experience most tyres will struggle with high torque outputs on greasy surfaces once down to 3mm.. Some counties have 3 or even 4mm as the min tread depth allowed which is why we end up with part worns in the UK.. I feel the min 1.6mm we have in the UK is far too low.. Year after year when I get some customers complaining of handling issues I find low tread below 3mm & or budget tyres are the issue, once New good branded rubber is fitted the cars are back to normal...
But have to say different cars can be very sensitive to rubber, one customer who owns a Merc has found over the years that only Continentals last & wear evenly, all other brands scrub out & wear very fast despite full four wheel alignment been checked on a regular basis..
Yes it had the hydraulic suspension and was also chipped to 260bhp so had massive torque but i did tread lightly on the gas. It didn't suffer from torque steer or wheelspin, just had a tendency to run wide on greasy bends, even at lowish speeds, a bit like when you hit a diesel spill mid bend. I agree some tyres work better than others depending on the vehicle. My brand new X-Type in 2007 came with Pirellis and they were diabolical on wet bends. Just changing to Toyo T1Rs transformed it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
So just swapped the switches over so I can now see the heated switch when the steering wheel is in the straight ahead position, dead easy, took about 10 mins & can arrange the switches in any order you want as they're all separately wired.. 20210315_153742.jpg 20210315_151926.jpg

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
First long trip of 250 miles - pretty good except for E-Volt chargers.
First stage through the Borders was quite hilly and winding so the MPK was 3.7 after 143 miles - down from 95% to 23%. (50miles left, so an apparent range of 193 miles)

Charged up a a free CPS E-volt charger at Larkhall Park & Ride at 43kw, for about 35mins to 71%. (167 showing on the GOM)

Set off up the B7078 to Hamilton M74 J7 with the MPK showing 9.5!!
Up the M74, around the M8 to Dumbarton this had dropped to a more believable 4.4 and it dropped further to 4.2 from Dumbarton to Lochgilphead which left me down to 23% again.

A quick 10kw at the Lochilphead E-volt bumped it upto 40% (87miles) (25p/kwh)

BUT it was disappointing to find that both chargers had almost invisible displays. In fact the Lochgilphead charger was so feint I thought it was faulty but it started whirring when I plugged the cable in, pressed Start, and let it scan my CPS rfid card.
To stop charging the rfid card is again required - I suppose it stops anyone from stopping the charge if the driver is not present.

I can't fathom why the minimum charge is £1.80 - 25p/kwh does not go into 180 according to my maths, so why not make it £2.00?
On a good note, the marina is installing chargers this winter but sensibly, only rapids. I advised the director to install a 43kw AC and DC with overstay penalties similar to Argyll council.
In the marina car park today there are two Teslas, a Jag EV400 and a nice grey Leaf.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
After the slight adjustment to the toe-in setting, on my second 500mile round trip to Argyll, the car was superb. Torque steer minimal, no wandering at speed in a straight line and no excessive tyre scrubbing on tighter bends.

Cliche alert: the car felt 'planted' on the winding Argyll and Borders roads.

Power consumption was 3.8miles/kw average, but I set off in both directions at 6am with a cold battery (8-10C) and some use of the HVAC.

The CPS server outage spoiled the outward journey but heading home yesterday morning, only a minor card validation glitch at Eurocentral marred an excellent journey, with 15% remaining.

A XC90 was left floundering in my wake up Soutar Bank and a Range Rover Evoque gave up trying to outdrag me (how childish!)

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
6MONTH UPDATE. (3500miles)

My third Argyll trip is half over and I charged at the new rapid at Harthill Park & Ride which was almost deserted at 7:30am. It's next to BP Harthill westbound services so 30seconds walk to the loos and M&S food.

The car is going great and even though it's a seven hour trip including the charging and dog breaks, I arrived with no aches nor fatigue.

Consumption per mile over 110miles is 4.2m/kwh and that included some full power overtaking thanks to the battery temperature being around 30C.

What I like about the Leaf E+
  • The superb performance which surprises many ICE drivers.
  • The handling and steering, which is precise and not over assisted or too low geared.*
  • The blindspot led in the wing mirrors - they really do work.
  • The all round camera.
  • One-pedal mode - I drove the 250miles with almost no use of the footbrake.

My very short wish list:
  • Thinner A pillars.
  • Remote window closing.
  • An 11kw or larger AC charger.
I have only recently discovered:
  • The button in the roof panel for disabling the interior ultrasonics - couldn't find any mention of this in the handbooks. (one press after you've switched off and opened the door results in a loud bleep when you lock them)
  • How to have the fan on without the heater or AC on (press the on/off button you idiot)
  • When the temperature gauge is midway, the battery is at 30C according to Leafspy, so not even body temp.
* the toe in adjustment has definitely cured all odd behaviour and so far no tyre wear unevenness.

Conclusion:

It's hard believe there is a better all round EV than the Leaf and extremely pleasing to note the lack of software issues, nor the need to manage the battery when the BMS is perfectly capable of doing this.

Attachments

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
742 Posts
You may also want to scrub your registration from the first images in this thread.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
What's the GOM accuracy like, just as a matter of interest? Early Leafs were known to be all over the shop! Have Nissan got this right yet? Hyundai, & VW both seem extremely accurate from my personal experience.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
What's the GOM accuracy like, just as a matter of interest? Early Leafs were known to be all over the shop! Have Nissan got this right yet? Hyundai, & VW both seem extremely accurate from my personal experience.
The gom is good and usually works out around 200miles, from an initial prediction of 227-244 with a full charge.

It's rarely less than 2miles / %, + 10miles, obviously higher on a warm day with warm battery and much worse in winter or if I am using the full performance for numerous overtakes (aka having fun / showing off)

·
Registered
778 Posts
If you take the 10 miles or so once dashes appear its not far out, not sure which is better, more accurate miles to stop like the Korean cars or bigger hidden buffer at zero miles like Nissan 🤔 LeafSpy makes running low easier although I've never needed to do that yet...

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
If you take the 10 miles or so once dashes appear its not far out, not sure which is better, more accurate miles to stop like the Korean cars or bigger hidden buffer at zero miles like Nissan 🤔 LeafSpy makes running low easier although I've never needed to do that yet...
The usable capacity is about 56% so 5% at the bottom does account for the 10miles when the dashes appear although I never been close.
Once the Scottish charging network has improved (if ever) and I am more confident of finding a working rapid, I will be more willing to drop below about 15% which is my current minimum. Also, Argyll is hilly and cool in the early morning when I tend to set off home so the range drops quickly. When I reach the half way point and charge up, the warmer battery and fewer hills see it increase again. However if I add the miles driven to the gom range, the total always comes out at around 200m. (currently showing 198 for 86% and 4.1m/kwh but I expect that to drop when I set off home at 5am tomorrow)

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's quite accurate but I wouldn't say extremely so. Definitely better than all over the shop. The first 50% seems more generous than the second, but from about 30% it seems on the money.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I didn't hold back on full power on the way home from Berwick and no doubt surprised many ICE drivers including a few that decided to tailgate me.
As a result, I only managed 120miles from 65% (85 to 20% with 45mile range left).

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I've let the SOC get down to 4 or 5% this last couple of weeks and today at 4% the gom was still 11miles which seems a tad optimistic. although my average speed was only 24mph.

I set it charging this afternoon to 100% for my regular long journey and noticed the coolant pump was whirring away - never heard it before but ambient temp was about 20C. (battery temp was 20C according to Leafspy or about 4mm to the left of mid way.)

I also noticed that charging carried on at full speed (26amps) until 98% then it dropped slowly. In the past, it has started to drop as 95% is passed.

Also recently, I've not seen more than 45kw on any charger even from 20% so I am beginning to wonder whether the dealer did a BMS update during the service in April. The battery temperature has been about 20C so no reason for this to cause a reduction.

I hope to reach the 150kw chargers at Wallyford on sunday with less than 10% so this should be interesting.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts