Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post here.

I currently drive a 335i, which on my 20miles (each way) commute averages 25mpg. It's only used for commuting as I have another car for the weekends/family.

Last week I test drove the Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kw, and overall I really liked it, it has everything. The only thing I dislike is the looks. I'm not sure I could live with it (that's me being vain).

Then I read about the B250e, and I've got a test drive booked this weekend. The B250e definitely wins in terms of looks, as it looks like a normal car, and coming from a BMW will have a similar build quality I suspect. My sensible head says Nissan (cheaper to run, RC, heated seats, DAB, cameras), but the B250e looks so much better.

But I do have some concerns and questions for the (very few) B250e owners:

1. Why did you choose it over the other EVs?
2. Was it the right choice (any negatives you'd highlight if you did it again)?
3. The 2016 B250e, is that different to the 2017?
4. Realistically, what are the charging times? (I've read too many conflicting)
5. What charging point do I need at home? Type 2 7kw?
6. Expected price per mile? My energy is 10.5p.
7. I'm looking at the Sport, am I right in saying no DAB, tinted rear windows, heated seats?

Anything else? Thank you :)

Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
We got our b250 last January, and were also deciding between that and the Leaf

1. We wanted a car that could fit two kids and an adult in the back, and that also had quite a bit of boot space. Both the Leaf and Mercedes do that (none of them are roomy though), and in the end we just decided we would enjoy the quality of the Mercedes more. I hate the look of the Leaf, so that influenced me as well, but I liked driving it. One year later I do not regret the decision at all. Every time I go to drive somewhere I am happy to be able to do it in a Mercedes. To me it feels worth it.

2. It was the right choice. The main negative with the b250 is the lack of fast charging, but we have no need for that in 98% of our use. For the remaining 2% an electric would be impractical anyway, so it does not matter. I those cases we rent or borrow an ICE vehicle. Also, I wish I had included the parking sensors. Those things drive me nuts, but I did not realize until afterwards that there is a button to turn them off. I have the camera, but the sensors would have been nice as well.

3. Not sure, but mine did not have the Apple CarPlay option, and the new ones do. Even some 2016 models (which mine is) I think.

4. No good answer from me, but we just use a 16A charger and let it sit overnight. So far we have not needed anything more, but that depends on your use, of course.

5. See #4.

6. No idea. After a few months I started making it a habit to put it in S mode, just because it was much more fun to drive. With our usage we rarely go under 50% on the battery.

7. I do not know that package, but I got Range Plus (included the tinted windows), radar based recuperation, bigger screen, camera, leather steering wheel, DAB, airbags in the back, heated seats and cruise control. Do not regret any of those. I regret not getting more. I held out on the leather steering wheel and only added it at the last minute. Glad I did.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Maybe check out the Hyundai Ioniq as it promises greater range than the other two if that's important, real world range is closer to the American EPA numbers than NEDC.

·
Registered
865 Posts
4&5; with maximum 11kw charging the best you could do from flat is around 3.5 hours. With a type 2 7kw installed at home you would be looking close to 5 hours for a full charge but don't forget you are unlikely to be charging from flat and will normally just top up as required.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
We had a B Class on a short lease of 6 months last year. Very nice to drive, good size boot and quick in S Mode.

Works well if you don't need rapid charging and daily range from overnight charge is OK. The 3kW charging means topping up in day isn't viable at home. A nearby 22kW post would help as it will charge at 11kW. It does NOT charge at 7kW - ignore anyone and anything that says different!

Residuals are likely to be poor in 3 years so only buy outright if you get a fab used deal and/or are going to keep a long time, otherwise a PCP may be better financial sense. Some good deals have come and gone, but they may appear again.

Bear in mind service costs are a lot more than the Leaf. Search this section for details. Ours was maintained.

For B Class cost planning I would use 3 miles per KwH, so at your rates around 3.3p per mile. For your commute the additional cost of electricity for the B Class compared to Leaf is trivial - depreciation and servicing costs are more important.

Our lease car had a lot of options. AFAIK base Sport does not have heated seats and I would recommend them. We didn't have electric memory seats and that was a pain as we both drove it and are very different size!

Reactions: c.j

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
4&5; with maximum 11kw charging the best you could do from flat is around 3.5 hours. With a type 2 7kw installed at home you would be looking close to 5 hours for a full charge but don't forget you are unlikely to be charging from flat and will normally just top up as required.
Wrong. It takes over 8 hours from totally flat. It does NOT do 7kW charging. 11kW is 3 phase (16A) which almost nobody has in UK homes.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
For some reason the US B250e can charge at 32A, rather than 16A in the UK.

I presume that's because 110v x 16A would be unsellable as even an overnight charge would be insufficient.

As far as the OP goes I would have thought going from a 335i to a B250e would be a more appropriate level of 'on-demand' performance than a LEAF.

I have a B250e Sport on order, and the heated seats are part of either the Executive or Premium packs (£1000/£1600rrp options respectively) and are not standard.

·
Registered
114 Posts
7. I do not know that package, but I got Range Plus (included the tinted windows), radar based recuperation, bigger screen, camera, leather steering wheel, DAB, airbags in the back, heated seats and cruise control. Do not regret any of those. I regret not getting more. I held out on the leather steering wheel and only added it at the last minute. Glad I did.
Really?

Mercedes say on their website and brochure you cannot have the Energy Assist package (this is what has Range Plus) and DAB digital radio, so are you really sure you have both? If you do, I'd be curious to know how you were able to obtain both please.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Really?

Mercedes say on their website and brochure you cannot have the Energy Assist package (this is what has Range Plus) and DAB digital radio, so are you really sure you have both? If you do, I'd be curious to know how you were able to obtain both please.

You can't have Dab with the range plus package, you are correct not sure if something to do with the screen or radar!

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
For some reason the US B250e can charge at 32A, rather than 16A in the UK.

I presume that's because 110v x 16A would be unsellable as even an overnight charge would be insufficient.

As far as the OP goes I would have thought going from a 335i to a B250e would be a more appropriate level of 'on-demand' performance than a LEAF.
The B Class shares a lot in common with the early Tesla Model S. Their EU charger is very different from US and both had the same single phase 16A limitation. Tesla did a workaround to feed same phase into two sides to achieve 32A and it is conjectured this might work with B Class but AFAIK nobody has been brave enough to try!

Even today a US Tesla charges faster in US homes with 240V x 48A as standard!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone.

Test drove the car today at MB, and overall really liked it.

The sales rep was convinced it would charge at home in 4-5 hrs, but I'm sure that's on a 3 phase supply only.

Throughout the drive I was in e+ mode and took it very steady for efficiency purposes. It averaged 2.6 mpkw (if that's the correct term), is that about right? How does that compare?

They'd chuck in a home charger installation, but they couldn't confirm what the servicing costs would be.

I've got a 4 day test drive lined up with a Leaf next week, then a whole day with the B250e the week after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nearly tried it this afternoon but it was too cold, it's on my list of things to do once I have a spare couple of hours.

The car will typically take 8 hours to charge 9 if you are completely flat. About 13% per hour on a 16amp wall box. Charging on the granny lead is only 12a and takes about 12hours but the plug gets very hot.

I brought mine to complement a c class, when you get old getting in different cars with different controls is a proper pain. I'm now 25k in and still love driving it, sport mode really is fun!

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I presume that's because 110v x 16A would be unsellable as even an overnight charge would be
Standard 110V sockets are only 15A. Due to this most people in USA with a BEV install a hard wired, wall mounted (Level 2) 240V charger. Costs have come down in last few years. Others fit a 240V outlet and use one with a plug such as
Leviton Evr-Green Mini Electric Vehicle Charging Station Level 2, Wall Mounted with 12 ft. Cord-000-EVBL2-P12 - The Home Depot

Incidentally the B Class in the US has the original 40A Tesla onboard charger, so can charge at 10Kw. So much better than UK...

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Tesla did a workaround to feed same phase into two sides to achieve 32A and it is conjectured this might work with B Class but AFAIK nobody has been brave enough to try!
I thought about trying it, I've got a three phase wallbox at work and could easily connect the three input phases of the wallbox to a single live wire for shits and giggles - and limit the total draw of the Mennekes Amtron to 10A (on each "virtual" phase) so I won't go over the 32A limit on fuse and wire thickness. But as this only helps people in the UK who have big single phase supplies I haven't bothered. Call me selfish :whistle:

I've already got nice three phase at work; and a single phase 16A wallbox at home which certainly can't deliver much more, in fact I've blown up the (just 35A!) main fuse two times already since I got the car. :mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Really?

I am pretty sure I have both. I definitely have a DAB radio, and I've used the range plus on several occasions. Also, the windows in the back are tinted.

I live in Norway, and that option is available for some reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I see that the configurator on the UK site removes the DAB if Range Plus is added, but on the Norwegian site two of the packages they offer have both. I wonder why that is?

That said, I am not impressed with the radio - slow and cumbersome. Had it not been for the fact that Norway is phasing out FM I would have dropped it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In Norway we are closing down FM radio now in 2017, so the Norwegian Mercedes-importer got Mercedes to combine Range Plus with DAB. It is the heated front window normally included in Range Plus which is the problem, this is simply removed from Range Plus in Norway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts