Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Zoe and have set up a battery lease with RCI for 6900 miles at £69. How does RCI monitor my mileage? Do they do it through the technology in the car or is any outstanding amount for excess mileage ( charged at 8p per mile) charged when the lease ends (either car sold or scrapped)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. So I may as well reduce the lease payment to the minimum - £49 for 4900 and hope for the best?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks for that. So I may as well reduce the lease payment to the minimum - £49 for 4900 and hope for the best?
That's what I've done, though I'm not leasing the car, only the battery. I figured that as each mileage band is charged at exactly 8p per mile, I may as well pay the minimum so as not to get charged for miles I don't use. At the moment I'm well over, just over 12,000 miles in 20 months. When I sell or trade in the car, I'll see what happens. ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you have the ability to pay up the excess mileage claim after you sell it then go for the £49 a month there is no penalty for doing this as you would have expected and I'm sure you've read others have explained that the maths is rather odd and is in our favour.

I had a 2013 Zoe for 6 months and went way over the mileage but they never asked for the extra when I sold it. It did take three months to get the lease transferred to the new owner as they were very lax at getting the paperwork back to RCI. Lesson learned is to make sure that the leases gets signed, scanned and emailed across before they drive off with the car. If it's a work day you can even call them and get it processed straight away.

With my current car (2015 Zoe) I've gone again for the lower amount and have put 11k on it this year and renewed the lease at £49. If and it's a big IF they catch up I will pay them what is due but it all seems a bit lax at their end. I think as long as they are getting some money that is all they care about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts