Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Perhaps it’s more of a demonstration of VW’s parts and servicing prices than the actual lease cost of the car!

These figures don’t say much for VW’s confidence in the ID.3’s residual value.

List is the same as an e-2008 GT. One of those is about £12.5k over 3 years and 30k miles with metallic paint.

ID.3, same profile, £21,583 including their minimal care package. 😳

·
Registered
427 Posts
Is annual 'servicing' mandatory on these cars?
When these prices go public surely there’ll be an option to order without?

I wonder if VW’s plan is to keep financing completely in house. So they refuse to sell them to other lease funders.
Might explain their hugely ambitious pricing.

If they did that, as the cars’ owners, they can bust block exemption regulations and insist lease customers have them serviced at VW or face a penalty.

·
Premium Member
11,222 Posts
I guess they don't have many ID.3 to sell in UK so can set lease prices high at this stage. Until they get cars in volume production (with finished software) they probably don't want to create too much demand. For now the VW faithful can lease a petrol Golf. Yes, I know below not a comparable spec but even the GTI is less than £400 a month.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Obligatory M3 post - SR+ comes in at £532 per month on a 6+48 deal.

That link comes to £30k over the 4 year lease with maintenance on the Tesla, compared to the ID.3 over the same period with the Large care package (includes tyres etc) at £27.3k. With only routine maintenance included, the ID.3 is £25.3k over the same period. The ID.3 has a 40k mile allowance versus the 32k for the Tesla.

At first glance then, a £5k difference over 4 years, but neither look particularly cheap to me.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Assuming all the 1st Editions are spoken for, perhaps VW don’t want any of those customer leasing them.

Anyone leasing one would have to be a pork pie short of a picnic to sign up to that.

PCP through an outfit like Santander via Capital Car Finance is about 4.9% at the mo. That’s better value than this and considerably cheaper than VW’s own offering of what, 6.2%?

Worth remembering when comparing with Tesla, an SR+ is knocking on £40k after PiCG. ID.3 is £35k.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I think that anyone that signs up to these deals will be severely disapointed when the price drops as the supply increases. "First edition" cars rarely do well in terms of resale as their uniqueness has gone after that initial launch and a number of "lifecycle improvements" have generally been made. Perhaps VW are just being realistic.
It's also unfair to compare the ID3 to a Golf - it is similar in internal size to a Passat - so that goes someway towards justifying a slightly higher price even if not these levels. Surely its initial competition is the BMW i3 (now an old design) and the Mini e.

These work out around £410 with servicing on a similar basis. The VW is a lot more just to have the latest thing although as before it is bigger.

·
Premium Member
11,222 Posts
Assuming all the 1st Editions are spoken for, perhaps VW don’t want any of those customer leasing them.
I don't recall VW saying "only reserve an ID.3 1st Edition if you plan to buy cash" so there may be some difficult conversations between customers and dealers if this is all they can offer. I guess someone set on an ID.3 1st Edition could get a personal loan, but over 70% of new cars are purchased on dealer arranged PCH/PCP.
It's also unfair to compare the ID3 to a Golf - it is similar in internal size to a Passat
Many people compare cars based on external size and the boot is definitely not Passat sized! Existing VW owners will obviously compare with Golf - it is their only option if they want to stay faithful to VW. I suspect in reality it isn't any bigger inside than a Leaf but we will see when comparison reviews come out.

Reactions: firetrax

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think that anyone that signs up to these deals will be severely disapointed when the price drops as the supply increases. "First edition" cars rarely do well in terms of resale as their uniqueness has gone after that initial launch and a number of "lifecycle improvements" have generally been made. Perhaps VW are just being realistic.
It's also unfair to compare the ID3 to a Golf - it is similar in internal size to a Passat - so that goes someway towards justifying a slightly higher price even if not these levels. Surely its initial competition is the BMW i3 (now an old design) and the Mini e.

View attachment 132723

View attachment 132724

These work out around £410 with servicing on a similar basis. The VW is a lot more just to have the latest thing although as before it is bigger.
My 38kwh Ioniq is £245 a month for 14k miles a year over 2 years. Gets you a size half way between a Golf and a Passat, and close to 200 mile range.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
£27k+ for 3 years in a VW hatchback...hmmm....
To be fair, I think you’d need to give your head a wobble to chuck £27k down the drain for any lease car.

Mind you, I make a 3 year lease on the ID.3 with maintenance to be £23.2k, how are you getting £27k+?

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I suspect in reality it isn't any bigger inside than a Leaf but we will see when comparison reviews come out.
They should have made better use of the room under the bonnet than was possible in the LEAF, but as you say there will be much more known once real people get their hands on the production cars - too many journo's have vested interests or are just plain ignorant to be useful.

·
Registered
593 Posts
They should have made better use of the room under the bonnet than was possible in the LEAF, but as you say there will be much more known once real people get their hands on the production cars - too many journo's have vested interests or are just plain ignorant to be useful.
The nose is tiny on the ID3. They've basically maximised the cabin space with the skateboard platform. If you see the photos of the bonnet up it is like a first gen Audi A1 in there. No room for anything really.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
The nose is tiny on the ID3. They've basically maximised the cabin space with the skateboard platform. If you see the photos of the bonnet up it is like a first gen Audi A1 in there. No room for anything really.
That may well be the case - but it puts you closer to an accident!

·
Registered
593 Posts
To be fair, I think you’d need to give your head a wobble to chuck £27k down the drain for any lease car.

Mind you, I make a 3 year lease on the ID.3 with maintenance to be £23.2k, how are you getting £27k+?
I was bumping it up as an estimate to what Id think it would be on my current car at 15k miles. 10k miles quoted there. Thinking out loud...

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,694 Posts
I like a lot of things about the ID3 (Size, range, spec, hatch) basically what I want but the monthly finance is also important and don't think I can justify the cost. I am back to square one without any idea what car will fit the bill, probably have to settle for lower spec base model later on now, maybe Seat or Skoda brands might fill the gap?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts