Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here put a cherished number onto a car leased from Renault, preferably where the dealer/leasing broker did it for you before delivery.

Specifically asking about leased (not pcp/finance etc), and specifically from Renault/RCI?

One doesn鈥檛 get a V5 when leasing, so its a different system to when one does.

Be interested to know the process involved.

Thanks 馃憤

Registered
You'd need to speak to them, unless someone else already has experience of this?
Other groups allow it (with the appropriate admin fees) and there is a bit of hassle involved. You also need to allow a few months for the paperwork to be processed both to put the plate on and to take it off again:

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Christ on a bike. There are no words馃檮

I really wish people would read posts before replying to them and just not bother if they don鈥檛 have the answer to a really quite specific question.

Little wonder so many posts on this forum go so quickly and wildly off topic.

I wonder how many years would be added to the average life?

Registered
Christ on a bike. There are no words馃檮

I really wish people would read posts before replying to them and just not bother if they don鈥檛 have the answer to a really quite specific question.

Little wonder so many posts on this forum go so quickly and wildly off topic.

I wonder how many years would be added to the average life?
well no wonder people don鈥檛 reply if that鈥檚 the attitude

Registered
Better that one doesn鈥檛 reply if one doesn鈥檛 have an answer to the question that鈥檚 asked. It鈥檚 bluddy unhelpful.
well good luck, all leave companies deal with this the same, you have a very good answer above, expect to pay admin fees and for it to take forever often after the car is delivered. Don鈥檛 like it, don鈥檛 lease.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
well good luck, all leave companies deal with this the same, you have a very good answer above, expect to pay admin fees and for it to take forever often after the car is delivered. Don鈥檛 like it, don鈥檛 lease.
He鈥檚 at it again 馃檮 Did I ask about fees? Did I? Did I ask about a general process? Nope to both.

I asked specifically about Renault鈥檚 process for leasing.

Because the dealer seems confused by the process given what he鈥檚 suggested.

Because RCI could only tell me about the process for PCP where one is given a V5 which one is not when leasing.

And because what the dealer鈥檚 suggests is wildly different compared to that employed by Alphabet, VWFS, Leaseplan and all the other leasing companies we鈥檝e leased from over the past I can鈥檛 remember how many years.

My question was specific to avoid general replies as they鈥檙e a waste of everyone鈥檚 time. Your and mine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
If it involves RCI, this may not end well.
Well that鈥檚 fair comment! 馃ぃ

They can do it, but the dealer鈥檚 asked me to send them the retention certificate so they can post it to DVLA for a 鈥済uarantee鈥.

Think he meant Grantee, but not fully understanding process and vocab is a big red flag to me. Especially with a retention certificate which if it disappeared in the general post and fell into the wrong hands would lose me 拢3k or or cause me a lot of aggro getting the number back/doc replaced.

Delays delivery too as they can鈥檛 deliver the car until they鈥檝e got the plate applied and we鈥檇 be paying for it whilst it鈥檚 in progress.

Asked them to put an age related on it for now.

In the absence of anyone else who鈥檚 actually done this with RCI before sharing a probably woeful tale of delay and loss, I鈥檒l read the paperwork when it arrives at some point after the car, cross my fingers and Special Delivery it to Maple Cross.

Registered
He鈥檚 at it again 馃檮 Did I ask about fees? Did I? Did I ask about a general process? Nope to both.

I asked specifically about Renault鈥檚 process for leasing.

Because the dealer seems confused by the process given what he鈥檚 suggested.

Because RCI could only tell me about the process for PCP where one is given a V5 which one is not when leasing.

And because what the dealer鈥檚 suggests is wildly different compared to that employed by Alphabet, VWFS, Leaseplan and all the other leasing companies we鈥檝e leased from over the past I can鈥檛 remember how many years.

My question was specific to avoid general replies as they鈥檙e a waste of everyone鈥檚 time. Your and mine.
or you could use a telephone type device and call RCI for your very specific needs which quite frankly no one is going to want to help with here...

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
<Dons tin hat and flame proof suit>

It's not started that well, either, reading the exchanges above...
馃ぃ Yep, sorry about losing my rag folks - People dragging threads off topic when effort is put into writing clear, specific posts is the bane of this and many other forums.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
or you could use a telephone type device and call RCI for your very specific needs which quite frankly no one is going to want to help with here...
That reply explains the last. And the one before it.

My post describing my 鈥渧ery specific needs鈥 was a result of such a phone call.
I explained the situation very precisely indeed and the third time he used the term PCP and said 鈥渨hen you get the V5鈥, I gave up 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

It鈥檚 like a disease this sort of thing. It needs a name. And a cure.

Registered
Hmm. So you asked for the process involved, so were given general advice as its pretty much the same for every finance company.
Yet you had already spoken to them (which you failed to mention) and the real problem was that the person on the end of the phone didn't understand you weren't on a PCP deal (and they were probably working from home so didn't have additional support). So you provided a partial question.

You have been pretty rude to the two people who tried to reply in a helpful way. You need to wind your neck in. Do you know how forums work?

You could just have gone to the Renault Finance website's FAQs which sound suspicious like they provide the info you want:
Managing your Contract Hire Agreement

Can I have a personalised number plate?
Yes, firstly you will need to complete a V317 form. This can be downloaded from here. You will need to complete option B and section 1 with the personalised registration number and then section 3 with your name and address. You will then need to post this along with a Cheque for 拢80 made payable to DVLA Swansea to the DVLA Personalised Registrations, Swansea, SA99 1DS.
Please note there will be a 拢25 admin charge payable to process the paperwork. This will be taken via your usual payment method, once our administration team has received the form back from the DVLA. Please be aware this can take up to 3 weeks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm. So you asked for the process involved, so were given general advice as its pretty much the same for every finance company.
Yet you had already spoken to them (which you failed to mention) and the real problem was that the person on the end of the phone didn't understand you weren't on a PCP deal (and they were probably working from home so didn't have additional support). So you provided a partial question.

You have been pretty rude to the two people who tried to reply in a helpful way. You need to wind your neck in. Do you know how forums work?

You could just have gone to the Renault Finance website's FAQs which sound suspicious like they provide the info you want:
Thanks for taking the time to read my original post and look on their website,

You can keep the sanctimony mind 馃檮

I鈥檇 seen the FAQ previously - It explains where the dealer got their incomplete and incorrect information from.

You鈥檒l note that the advice for how to put on a plate is actually the advice for taking one off. In fact the same advice is posted in both on and off.

The dealer had insisted they could get the plate on for delivery thereby saving me 拢20+ on another set of plates later on. It鈥檚 already been more aggro than it鈥檚 worth.

They suggested they鈥檇 be doing with my Retention Certificate what the FAQs suggest to do with a 317. Which would also be wrong, a waste of time and would risk losing my certificate and number in the post. Twice. Once on a pointless journey to Swansea. Once more when they return it with a note probably saying 鈥???鈥.

Hence I reached out here specifically looking for someone who鈥檇 been through this with a Renault dealer so I could perhaps then relay back to mine a process they might understand incorporating maybe even a contact they can send this to at RCI who knows the difference between their derri猫re and the bendy bit in the middle of their arm.

Since the dealer really doesn鈥檛 seem to know how to handle this, and RCI鈥檚 advice is about as useful as....well, usual really, I鈥檒l hang fire until RCI have a V5 with the age related plate on it.

Then they should just need my Retention Certificate, some money and internet access.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts