Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
my wife works for the NHS and is considering leasing an car, particularly a Zoe, using the Knowles Fleet service arrangement with the NHS.

I've compare the pricing with deals on leasing.com and the price seems quite favourable, because it relies on salary sacrifice and the new 0% BIK tax arrangement.

My wife would be new to the scheme, and I was hoping people might be able to relay good and bad experiences about this service. I will respect people's confidentiality if they send me a private message about the service.

thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi, I have a car through NHS fleet solutions and it does have an impact on my pension. As far as I understand with my trust, Knowles is for community staff due to the miles traveled through work, where the fleet solutions isn't down to miles traveled.

I am now on our third car through fleet solutions and now going for a EV due to 0% BIK which will reduce the amount I currently pay.

I can only speak about fleet solutions and the service I have had. For the amount I pay each month(£200 for a BMW i3), it includes any service costs, tyres,. breakdown cover in the UK and the EU, up to four extra drivers, if under 21 at no extra cost, road tax(if needed) full insurance (which I have had to use once and the service was good, with a car to use while the one I had was being repaired) excess was £250. Basically anything that needs doing, it's covered in the monthly payment.

The terms of the lease have now changed, so at the end of the lease if you want to buy the car, you can and a deal is worked out between the lease company and you.

I have looked at how much I would need to put to one side to allow for general motoring costs and compared that with having a lease and for us it works out better.

Hope that helps 😊

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi, I have a car through NHS fleet solutions and it does have an impact on my pension. As far as I understand with my trust, Knowles is for community staff due to the miles traveled through work, where the fleet solutions isn't down to miles traveled.

I am now on our third car through fleet solutions and now going for a EV due to 0% BIK which will reduce the amount I currently pay.

I can only speak about fleet solutions and the service I have had. For the amount I pay each month(£200 for a BMW i3), it includes any service costs, tyres,. breakdown cover in the UK and the EU, up to four extra drivers, if under 21 at no extra cost, road tax(if needed) full insurance (which I have had to use once and the service was good, with a car to use while the one I had was being repaired) excess was £250. Basically anything that needs doing, it's covered in the monthly payment.

The terms of the lease have now changed, so at the end of the lease if you want to buy the car, you can and a deal is worked out between the lease company and you.

I have looked at how much I would need to put to one side to allow for general motoring costs and compared that with having a lease and for us it works out better.

Hope that helps 😊
Can you elaborate on the pension impact please?

·
Registered
79 Posts
It reduces the amount you contribute to the pension each month. That varies depending on banding and hours worked. I think currently my pension is reduced by about £30 per month.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
Ah so they deduct the car payment first then our pension, I don’t know what we pay I have a figure of 7% in my head but not sure if I imagined that!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The monthly amount which comes out of the wages includes the reduction in pension and anything towards BIK.

The amount reduced all depends on banding, so if bottom band five working 37.5hrs per week will pay less than top band five and so on. When getting a quote, they do give you the amount your pension will be reduced by.

·
Registered
386 Posts
(My questions are because my daughter is in the NHS and an EV would make sense).
So this is essentially a ‘company car’ and some proportion of its cost is taken as effectively a ‘pensionable pay cut’?

·
Registered
79 Posts
(My questions are because my daughter is in the NHS and an EV would make sense).
So this is essentially a ‘company car’ and some proportion of its cost is taken as effectively a ‘pensionable pay cut’?
Yeah, so it is 'a company car' and there is a reduced pension contribution

·
Registered
79 Posts
When getting a quote, it does give the amount the pension is reduced by.

For example, someone I work with has a Kia Rio on PCP and they are paying £250 per month, plus on top tax, insurance, breakdown servicing etc. It's a hard choice but I got fed up with cars being a bag of s***t even when paying a thousand. I looked at PCP and took into account the other costs I would need (servicing etc) compared to the reduction in an pension. For me, it worked out cheaper to have one through the NHS than getting one on PCP

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
Thinking about VAT / tax, I just read that If you lease a car you can claim 50% of the tax back, so that may be another option to consider in the equation.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Think this is a red herring - refers to VAT registered businesses reclaiming tax for business-only vehicles. Very unlikely to be any use to a private buyer / leaseholder.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
This thread is about the NHS employee scheme where if its officially a company can then you may be able to claim the tax back. I already claim tax back for any business related expenses I make, so I am thinking the would be the same?

·
Registered
16,781 Posts
This thread is about the NHS employee scheme where if its officially a company can then you may be able to claim the tax back. I already claim tax back for any business related expenses I make, so I am thinking the would be the same?
Yes, the company that leases it on your behalf can claim 50% of the VAT back - assuming it would be used for personal as well as business use.

Although what the employer deducts from the employee’s pay for use of the car is up to them. ;)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes, the company that leases it on your behalf can claim 50% of the VAT back - assuming it would be used for personal as well as business use.

Although what the employer deducts from the employee’s pay for use of the car is up to them. ;)
Thanks - yes, that being my point - as an individual you might not see any of this back.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
Oh I though I could personally claim half back - I shall look into it further as that would be great!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts